high speed wobble - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

high speed wobble

I have 6500 miles on my 2001 R6. I ride almost everyday, and since I commute on a 2 lane road, I reach 100+ almost daily when I inevitably have to pass someone.

Friday, I was riding with a buddy on a rough, paved, highway. (Hwy 101 in WA) The road was straight with a slight downgrade. I wound it up to about 105 and was still accelerating when the handlebars began slapping back and forth violently. Happened for about 1 1/2 seconds. I immediately got off the throttle when it happened and it quit.

I've heard the expression, "high speed wobble"
My questions are:

1. Is that was I experienced?
2. What causes it?
3. Should I worry about it happening more?
4. Steering damper is the cure?

I've got years riding experience, but never experienced this on any of my cruisers. This being my first sportbike, I'm learning new stuff almost daily. This one was a little more exciting than I liked for that brief moment. I just want to know how serious a problem this is and what to do to fix it.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 04:38 AM

That wobble is from the front tire picking up and getting barely any traction, yes you need a steering dampner and also adjust your suspension, so that there's more weight on the front end. Some people also lower there triple tree's a little.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 04:48 AM

As for getting off the throttle Im not sure about that. I had something similar happen yesterday. I was riding a wheelie in second and tried to shift to third but wasnt quick enough. The front end came back down and touched about the same time I got it into gear. I stayed on it and hoverd about a 1/8 inch over the ground, I started to tank slap bad I left off and it was still doing it. I remembered something I saw here for some reason " when in doubt throttle out", and I reved up and dropped the clutch.The front end came up and back down with no shaking this time.
Shannon

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 04:48 AM

Dude, I have had the "speed wobbles" on two occassions in my short existance here on this wonderful planet....all I can tell you is that once I was going downhill on a skateboard and the other, I was straightline at around 80 mph on an enduro (Yamaha XT225). Basically if you through anything going in a straight line off balance and I mean unnatural balance, such as: trying to sit on the gas tank and screwing up.... the ends are going to want to swap.....best solution when it happens, let off the gas!!!!! Or if you're skating bail! It sux though! I've also heard that your wheels being out of balance or forks bent, can cause it too.......
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 04:51 AM

Oh yeah, remember balance means front to back, as-well-as side to side!
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 05:20 AM

were you accelerating hard when this happened or a steady, gradual acceleration?

what you probably experienced is the "speed wobble" that shannon muse mentioned.
this occurs a lot more with the nimble powerful bikes of today, you pretty much have to get used to it. especially if youre going to accelerate hard. a steering damper will help, but you really shouldnt need one with the R6, with the bigger bikes, it is a must.

you should adjust your suspension on that bike if you havent done so already,
http://www.2wf.com/articles/how_to/6...D39F35A8E9.asp
...gives a great how to using the R1 as an example, but this is a universal process. all bikes should have this done after buying.
you'll notice a huge difference...
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

I wasn't HARD on the throttle. I was accelerating gradually from 60 mph up to 105 mph when it happened.

(Accellerating gradually being defined as, kicking it down to 5th gear and opening it up to about 80% throttle.)

I've been scouring the internet for info on this...and learned basically what you said here.

1. check my tire pressure.
2. Adjust my suspension, ensuring that at minimum, the sag is set appropriately.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 06:22 AM

Don't worry too much, Spidey. You've got the,"R1 Factor"!!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 07:04 AM

Talking

The problem, Spiderman, was that you were on the wrong side of Puget Sound.

Look, there are already ten sportbikers over here - that's plenty. Stay on your own side.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Smile

I was just passing through....

I live on the "right" side of the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode