Two more down, but I have no sympathy for morons - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Two more down, but I have no sympathy for morons

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/dis...?storyid=16179

The article is somewhat lacking in its details. I know nothing about the second rider killed, but the couple involved in the first incident are friends of mine.

Now, normally when I read something like this I automatically think, there goes some stupid cager who was not paying attention and pulled out in front of a rider, cut them off, <insert whatever reason here>, and injured or killed them.

This is just proof positive that we don't always get all the details and the drivers are not always at fault.

This couple was pulling out of their neighborhood. They were crossing a two lane northbound road to get into the two southbound lanes. The speed limit in this area is 25MPH. It is a heavily traveled road on the outskirts of Frederick. Near this portion of the road it becomes more congested with stoplights, etc.

What is missing from the article is the fact that the rider in question was doing an estimate 80MPH!!!!!!! in a 25MPH zone and broadsided the couple's Jeep Cherokee. The driver was of course badly shaken up and is at home recovering from mild impact injuries as well as facial lacerations inflicted by the shattering glass. Her husband (a motorcycle rider himself!) was in the passenger seat and escaped any major injuries.

I will not sit here and say I have never sped on my bike. I surely have and in thinking about it I have done it in some pretty dumb places. In the future I will think twice about where I crack the throttle. If I had died in any of these places then I would have been a moron as well and would hope someone on this site would have called me on it.

I hate to read about a fellow cyclist dying, but this is plain stupid and I have no sympathy in this case, as it was clearly the fault of the rider.

Please think the next time you are considering speeding on your bike. Not only does our community lose a member to death or injury, but we also risk inflicting injury on an unsuspecting driver due to our own selfishness and shortsightedness. We too have a responsibility!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 07:17 AM

Well put elcidbob. It's odd how you read articles like this and for the next month or two you ride more carefully and think twice or three times about going more than 5-10 above the speed limit. I'll definitely be more careful in the coming days as this article weighs on my mind.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 07:38 AM

You know sometimes I think about this exact same topic! Maybe there wouldn't be so many cycle versus car/truck accidents if we as riders slowed down sometimes and payed more attention to who or what was pulling out in front of us! Still there are alot of at fault accidents by the other person too.......but preventive maintainence on our parts wouldn't hurt!!!! Ride Safe!!!!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by endleswavz
You know sometimes I think about this exact same topic! Maybe there wouldn't be so many cycle versus car/truck accidents if we as riders slowed down sometimes and payed more attention to who or what was pulling out in front of us! Still there are alot of at fault accidents by the other person too.......but preventive maintainence on our parts wouldn't hurt!!!! Ride Safe!!!!!
Very valid point. Sorta what I was trying to get across earlier.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 06:12 PM

The second guy slid off the road near Burkittsville. That damned Blair Witch again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode