Help!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Angry Help!!!!

Help!! I just got an '85 GSX-r 750 tonight and the damn thing won't start!! It was running fine when Irode it around the block at the guy's house. We put it on a pick up to bring it home and now it won't start. I"ve tried all the obvious stuff, gas tank is full, tried it on prime, on and reserve. Choke on, choke off. We bump started it and it stayed started for a while but then died again.

WTF!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 05:25 PM

When I truck my bike sometimes it has a hard time starting. The bike floods when it's bounces in the back. Once I get it started it run fine.

I just hold the throttle wide open (no choke) while I crank it over. It will fire up after a few seconds.

Give that a try.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 09:43 PM

Need some more info man!

I presume that the starter motor is winding it over good? When you had it going did it sound okay? Have you checked the plugs? Are you gettting any ignition when you were trying to push start it?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Its turning over strong and I'm getting spark when I push start it. I'm going out to check the plugs now. Anyone know what plugs this bike takes?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 05:26 AM

Talking need more info.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird
Need some more info man!

I presume that the starter motor is winding it over good? When you had it going did it sound okay? Have you checked the plugs? Are you gettting any ignition when you were trying to push start it?
I agree with blackbird on this one. Need more info. I would start by changing the plugs or try cleaning them. I had a weak battery once on my f3, it would barely turn the engine over and this alone fouled out the plugs. Is the starter dragging? I called Honda, and they said the plugs were fouled on my bike. Is it backfiring thru the exhaust? That is a good sign of fouled out plugs. These bikes are very sensitive. If your getting good fire and gas, compression, then it should start.

Call the previous owner and ask him\her if anything has done to the bike. Ask him/her if this problem, your having,.... has happen to him or her and what what they did to remedy the problem. Also ask him/her if the carbs, engine, heads, etc. has been worked on before and this will give you some leads. Been there, and its frustrating, so hang in there! as far as the plugs, call Suzuki!

Last edited by richardr6; 10-13-2001 at 05:28 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 01:49 PM

Re: need more info.....

Quote:
Originally posted by richardr6

Call the previous owner and ask him\her if anything has done to the bike. Ask him/her if this problem, your having,.... has happen to him or her and what what they did to remedy the problem.
When I had a problem and called the prev. owner, he said, " I sold the bike.". S.O.B.

Anyways, have you had any better luck?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 02:10 PM
UFO

If it JUST ran and you were riding it right before this problem, check the obvious: Make sure the engine run switch is on.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2001, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Finally!!!

OK! I finally fixed the problem. It was the stupid petcock. It only flows gas in the on position and you have to turn it right to the very stop. I had tried it on reserve and on. When it was in the on position, it wasn't turned far enough and when you have it on reserve, it doesn't open. I found this out by taking my tank off and playing with the petcock till gas started to come out.

The switch is really really stiff which is why I didn't have it turned right to the stop. I had to use pliers to get it there. Does this mean its rusted and I have to worry about having a rusty gas tank or what?

It starts no problem now. I changed the plugs anyway.

Just to let you know, the previous owner had it bored out to 771cc with Wiseco pistons. When I took my old plugs out, they were different than the ones that I bought. they were NGKs but the last letter was different. the old ones had a V and the factory ones have an S. Is this the heat range? does anyone know what heat range I should be running?

The last owner doesn't really know much. He didn't do any of his own work.

Sorry this is so long. I got a little carried away.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 04:01 AM

Hey, I have a friend who owns an FZR....his bike did what sounds like the same thing and he tried everything to get it up and running. What it finally came down to was the vacuum hose....it had came detached. Just a thought.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 04:02 AM

Okay, so I didn't read the whole post.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode