Winding roads and acceptable speeds - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Question Winding roads and acceptable speeds

One of my favorite local roads runs along the eastern base of the Sierra mountains. When riding up in the mountains, I start grinding hard parts at about 60, which is a good velocity limiter for me...some of the roadside cliff drops exceed 1,000 feet

However on that favorite road along the base, I find that to get a good lean angle going, I'm approaching 90 mph. Given our wildlife population, coupled with my desire to have fun with my future grandkids, I find traveling at this velocity to exceed my level of common sense.

I am curious as to your opinions on acceptable sppeds that you will travel on public roads and how do you determine the maximum velocity to travel at.

I've seen some threads in the past wherein folks describe going 130+ on country roads. From my perspective, at that speed hitting a small lizard on the road could likely kill you. At 120 MPH, you are traveling at 175 feet per second and it takes a highly skilled rider .3 of a second to apply brakes, or roughly 53 feet before you actually begin to engage your brakes. Given the stopping distances most sportbikes are capable of (note the bike, not the rider) and it would take a highly skilled rider a minimum of 293' to stop from 120mph...about the length of a football field.

So how fast is too fast? Naturally it depends on where you are and the conditions of the road. Your thoughts?

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 08:26 AM
elo

My thought is that this thread is going to get really ugly, really fast.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 08:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Simply said, I ride too fast. That's why I've only put 3,000 miles on my bike this year as opposed to 10,000 last year.

Riding in itself can to some degree be labeled as exceeding one's level of common sense because it is inherently dangerous.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 08:46 AM

Re: Winding roads and acceptable speeds

Quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe

However on that favorite road along the base, I find that to get a good lean angle going, I'm approaching 90 mph. Given our wildlife population, coupled with my desire to have fun with my future grandkids, I find traveling at this velocity to exceed my level of common sense.

I am curious as to your opinions on acceptable sppeds that you will travel on public roads and how do you determine the maximum velocity to travel at.

So how fast is too fast? Naturally it depends on where you are and the conditions of the road. Your thoughts?
You pretty much answer your own question yourself....I do know I ride much faster on public roads than anybody should, but I do it
knowing the risk I am taking. I also do it because that is what makes riding fun to "me"....to quote speeds would only open
myself up to claims of being a braggart or an idiot.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

There's a road down there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hopevlly.jpg (42.7 KB, 137 views)

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 08:52 AM
elo

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Yummy!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 09:10 AM

You know what's funny is, I rarely ever get a chance to even look down at my speedo. I'm so focused on where I'm going.

But to answer the question how fast do I go until I'm having fun? It depends on the road. However, since I rarely check my speed, I think the speed at which I start to have fun is when I'm leaning the bike over but not to the edges of the tires. It's at that equilibrium point when I'm leaning the bike and still able to remain relaxed enough to smile. In other words, I have fun NOT at peg scratching speed but about 70% to 80% of that.

There are some roads where you can go 100 mph and still not be scratching your pegs going around a sweeper. I think that's too fast on a 2 lane country road. I'd say under those conditions, 90 mph is tops for me.

Out on open Interstates, I feel real comfortable doing 100+ mph. Usually 110 mph.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe
There's a road down there.
I love the Western US. Thanks for the photo.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 09:12 AM

Re: Winding roads and acceptable speeds

[QUOTE][iI've seen some threads in the past wherein folks describe going 130+ on country roads. From my perspective, at that speed hitting a small lizard on the road could likely kill you. At 120 MPH,
Contrary to popular belief this is wrong, I smashed a squirrel at about 140 on my bike on a HW close to my house and barely felt it. Actually corrected speed is probably about 115 or so, anyways I had just time to get to a pucker factor of 10 before I hit it and was expecting the worst. Still here
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
anyways I had just time to get to a pucker factor of 10 before I hit it and was expecting the worst. Still here
So that's why you replaced the seatcover on your bike

I'll give you that, your forward momentum is likely to keep you on the same vector upon vaporizing some furry little thing...I almost got a skunk a few weeks ago. I'll tell you, I'd almost voluntarily vault off my bike than hit one of those vile beasts. You just know if you hit the buggers, they'll bounce up on you and get stuck, leaking out all that stink...it'll stay with you for weeks.

so, ok, let's go with a slightly larger animal, say 10 pounds (that's how big some of the skunks are around here...even bigger ones in the state capitol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode