Officially a squid! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Angry Officially a squid!

This morning I got on my bike with all my gear and stuff for work. I let out the clutch nice and easy and BAM my fukin disk lock hits the brake and I loose control being the squid I am and tip over. Bike lands on side (and my foot) and shuts off. I get up and look at the bike, getting quite mad I might add. When I pick up the bike and put it on the kickstand I realize the left signal isn't broken and my plastic isn't scratched up! I couldn't believe it!! I thought for sure I dented the tank, scratched the plastic, messed up my signals, you know, all that expensive crap. I guess the bike was resting on that round mettle piece that stick out just a bit and the rear foot pegs. I did however find a little pice of metal that must of broken off from somewhere so I didn't ride it in this morning. I will be taking that piece of metal to my local shop and maybe they can tell me what it goes to and if it is safe to ride. I would say it is ok to ride, but what the hell do I know, after all I am an official squid! Oh, and yes I ordered one of those disk brake reminder cords so this won't happen again. When the bike was on its side some gas leaked out, is this normal? It didn't continue to leak once I put it upright. I even started it up and it seemed to run fine. Oh well, shit happens right?
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 05:17 AM
Founder

fotobw,

I wish I could say I've never done it, but I have also (except I did it in front of about 60 other riders at our local sportbike hangout) so don't feel too bad.

As far as the gas leaking out, yes you should be fine.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 05:29 AM

Welcome to the club.....stuff happens. At least the lesson
did not cost you any money....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 05:35 AM

Man, I've done that too. I don't even use a disc lock any more. Once I managed to warp one of my brake discs when i forgot to take it off. I figure if my bike ever gets stolen, insurance will take care of it and I'll get a new bike.

Another thing to remember: if you use a disc lock, make sure you don't go wheelieing off from a stop or you'll find it much easier to do that stoppie you've been trying to perfect. I didn't learn this one the hard way, but I have dropped my bike a couple of times in front of people. Very embarassing, but you get over it.

That little metal piece is probably either: A) a piece of the "hero blob" on the end of your footpeg, B) a piece off of the end of your lever (which side was it?) or C) some random piece of flotsam that was on the ground two months ago and you never noticed it. Here's hoping it's C).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 05:51 AM

Unhappy

Glad everything's alright fotobw. Don't feel too bad. That stuff has happened to just about all of us at one time or another.

Mine took place about 2 months ago just after I had gotten past the break in stage with my R1. Rode the heck out of it all day in the mountains and then stopped on my back to gas up at the end of the day at a station about an 1/8 of a mile from my house. I jump off to put my credit card in the pump and when I turned around, gasp, a TIPOVER! Snapped off my brake lever and scratched up some plastic. I don't remember if I was more pissed or just embarrassed.

Live and learn.........
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for making me laugh, especially the one about perfecting the stopie! I just about hurt myself on that one. It was the left side and I have an appt tonight with a tech guy to look at the piece and an F4i they have in stock to try and match it up. I too hope it was just on the ground from two months ago. Very glad to know I am not the only one who had done this. As far as not using the disk lock, it sure is tempting! Hope everything turns out ok.
Dave
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 06:37 AM

Man, don't worry about it. At least you were by yourself. This past summer, I was at the Honda Hoot (yes even on a Kaw) and went to Deal's Gap to ride the Dragon. I had made a couple runs and went back to the overlook where tailofthedragon.com had their tent set up. There were probably around 40 other bikers around and the guy from that website came over and took a picture of me with my bike to post on their site, then we talked for a little while. About 20 minutes later, I walk across the road to get some pictures of the mountains and I hear this CRASH!! I turned around and looked and my baby was on her side with this old dude and his wife on a Goldwing backing up near my bike. I run over yank it back up and all the guy keeps saying is "I didn't touch it, I didn't touch it"! I couldn't prove he did it and no one else saw it either but he heard it from me just in case. In all honesty, he probably didn't do it, the bike was on an incline and I think it just fell over, even though I had been there for almost 30 minutes. It fell on the left side, broke the mirror, bent the clutch lever, scratched the fairing bad, and broke the rear set bracket which made the hour long trip back to my hotel interesting to say the least.

It happens to the best of us. Take care
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 06:40 AM

You think your a squid,

Last Friday I pull a little stoppie at a traffic light when my friend plows into my airborne rear tire. The bike went down, I stayed up. I kicked the bike twice, stood it up on both wheels and went home. strangely enough, my friends 89 FZR600 had more damage although he never went down.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawboy
. It fell on the left side, broke the mirror, bent the clutch lever, scratched the fairing bad, and broke the rear set bracket which made the hour long trip back to my hotel interesting to say the least.

It happens to the best of us. Take care
Dang Kawboy,
Sounds like your bike got more damage falling over than mine did going
down at 50mph......
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 07:12 AM

my wife dropped my bike on our anniversary this year .
i saw her sit on it but, when i went to put on my helmet
i heard the bone chilling crack of turn signal and ferring
hitting the ground! as i picked the bike off of her i noticed
the brake lever was snapped off but it was cool cuz all the
parts i wanted to by plus the suomi helmet she bought
cuz she felt bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode