zx-9 front end weight - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2001, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

zx-9 front end weight

Question for ya, I rode a guys 97 CBR900 and I could throw that thing around like a 2 dollar ho. The front end on that thing is so light, compared to mine. I thought then that bike weighed tons less than mine until I looked up the specs. It's actually 2 pounds heavier. Are zx-9's just made this way or is my suspension not set up right or what. I just fell in love with that CBR.
Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 12:47 AM

Question

The Pre- 1998 RR was like that from what I've been told. that 16" wheel probably is lighter and the brakes are two pot... I dont know but I bet the wheelbase is less too.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 01:53 AM
Pete

That just goes to show you how outdated the ZX9R's design is. That's not meant as a slam against Kawasaki, either. It's just a fact that even a *1997* CBR900RR is a better-handling bike than a 2001 ZX9R.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
That just goes to show you how outdated the ZX9R's design is. That's not meant as a slam against Kawasaki, either. It's just a fact that even a *1997* CBR900RR is a better-handling bike than a 2001 ZX9R.
Thanks alot, Pete....
Now can I borrow one of your guns & a bullet to put
myself out of my misery.......
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 02:34 AM

ZX9R bikes are more stable at high speed cornering. So with that I welcome the heavy feel. The CBR's front wheel being a 16 in'er does make the bike steer faster and there for feel lighter. I still wouldn't give up my Kaw.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 02:52 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam McFarland
Thanks alot, Pete....
Now can I borrow one of your guns & a bullet to put
myself out of my misery.......
Just do it out in the yard, I don't want the gun to get scratched when it falls.

FWIW, my post was made in jest. I've never ridden a '97 CBR900RR nor any ZX9R, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Here Cam, let me help you get that hook out of your lip.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

Just do it out in the yard, I don't want the gun to get scratched when it falls.

FWIW, my post was made in jest. I've never ridden a '97 CBR900RR nor any ZX9R, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Here Cam, let me help you get that hook out of your lip.
To hell with my lip, its all the way in my gullet...
As you know, I dont turn too often anyway......
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 03:29 AM
Dad

That steering "feel" has more to do with front end geometry than actual weight. Another thing worth noting is that the "lighter feel" is accompanied with a higher propensity to "head shake", therefore the need for steering dampers. A couple of other things that add to the heavy feel are wider tires and tires that are worn more in the center than the edges as is usually encountered on street bikes, especially with a lot of interstate riding or straight road riding. In that case, new tires will make the bike feel lighter again. In the REAL tight stuff the lighter feel would be nice, but for most of my riding I don't mind the heavier feel with virtually no chance of a headshake.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 07:33 AM

Re: zx-9 front end weight

Quote:
Originally posted by shannon muse
Question for ya, I rode a guys 97 CBR900 and I could throw that thing around like a 2 dollar ho. The front end on that thing is so light, compared to mine. I thought then that bike weighed tons less than mine until I looked up the specs. It's actually 2 pounds heavier. Are zx-9's just made this way or is my suspension not set up right or what. I just fell in love with that CBR.
Shannon
Check this review....it compares those two bikes

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...sports_96.html
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

rhats a cool review. Funny RWHP on mine is 132 now, stock. They made a serious jump from 97 to 2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode