gsx-r 750 slingshot - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Post gsx-r 750 slingshot

I'm currently trying to sell my car for a bike and this guy wants to trade me for his 1985 gsx-r 750 slingshot. Did they make the slingshot back then? For some reason, I thought it was 88 when they came out.

Does this guy know what he's talking about?

I'm going to see the bike tonight so I just want to know what to look for. Also, are there any problems with these bikes I should be checking out?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 06:50 AM
Squidwannabe

I thought they started in 88 also.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation help!

I don't want to be annoying but I really need some info on this. I'm going to see the bike in a couple hours and I'd like to go in with some knowledge of this bike. Thanks a lot.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 09:51 AM

It started in 1988 when Suzuki switched to a new type of semi flat side carburetor (known as "slingshot" carbs). If I recall correctly, the engine was also given a shorter stroke, and the bike kind of inherited the "slingshot" name.

If its an '85, then technically it is NOT a "slingshot" GSX-R. Although in the guys defense, the original line of GSX-R's are still referred to by many as "slingshot". Its more of generic nick name the whole line inherited, and many people dont know that.

Hope that helps,
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 12:01 PM

As I listed in your other post the 1985 GSXR never came to the States. I don't know who did receive these bikes but if it is in perfect original condition it could be worth some money as the bike is the first year of the GSXR and a collector may want it. All the other posts are correct as far as the 88 being the slingshot.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 12:40 PM

Thumbs up

Yah Suzmcman, that very true about the '85 not in the states.... Personally, I was just assuming it was an '86 model year bought at the end of '85 After all, the guy selling it thinks its a slingshot, so what are the chances of him having the model year correct
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 02:34 AM

This is a common problem with people selling bikes. I had to look at seven bikes before I found a true 1986 GSXR limited Edition. I think that everybody that year thought if they put something in the add to get attention they would sell the bike quicker to somebody that did not know anything. For example I ran into a guy selling a bike for his son who kept saying the bike was a limited edition until I went to my truck and got a picture of one for him. Then he stated he was sorry but that is what his son was told and then told him to put in the paper for the add. In this case I don't feel that ethier the son or his dad knew much more than it was a motorcycle. It comes down to buyer beware again.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

so what does the Limited Edition look like?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 04:22 PM

I'am not sure how to post a photo but if you send me a e-mail I'll send you a photo. Or if you know how to post a photo I'll give it a try.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 04:46 PM

I'am going to try to attach a photo if it dose not show up send me a e-mail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0362.jpg (57.3 KB, 128 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode