Need some advice on the next bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Need some advice on the next bike

Ok, pretty much I 've got it narowed down to either a 98-00 R1 or a 99-00 R6. I really want the R1 but my insurance company doesn't seem to think it's a god idea. Are the first gen. R1's really as hard to ride as everyone makes them out? I'm fairly competent on a bike, I've had my endorsement for 4 years now and I've rode dirt since I was like 12. But I don't want something that's going to try and kill me everytime I ride it because it's going to have to go liability only on insurance for a month or two until I could get it paid off. I can obviously save alot of $$$ going with the R6, but my concern is that by the end of next season when I'm used to the 6 I'll be wishing I'd spent a little more and went ahead and bought the R1. This is one of those situations where the pros and cons weigh out pretty much even, so let me know what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 03:17 AM

I reccomend the R6. It is a better handling bike and is better for street use. The R6 is even proven to be better on the track.

The rider is what makes the ride. Having more power is not going to make you quicker. (I'm sure you know this already)

The R6 is not a let down. I still get exitement from it. I also had no trouble passing R1's.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

I know this, I actualy figured the R1 was going to make me slower if anything. But I figured I'd grow into it cause the next bike is going to have to last awhile, till I get out of college Which is another two years. I was kinda leanin more towards the R6, so maybe I'll go that route then pick up one of the new silver and black R1's when I get enough cash saved up again. Plus if I go R6 I can use the money I save for more squid mods, working with a college budget really sucks.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 04:06 AM

1 bike or 2

Wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy one bike instead of getting an R6, then an R1? In two years your R6 will have depreciated by thousands of dollars. Get the R1! You'll love the extra torque. It will be better for two-up riding if you plan on taking your girl for a cruise sometimes. Plus you'll never have to wonder if you would have been happier with the bigger bike. If you're going to spend all that money you should really get what you want.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 10:25 AM

Re: 1 bike or 2

Quote:
Originally posted by nick_nolastname
In two years your R6 will have depreciated by thousands of dollars.

It will be better for two-up riding if you plan on taking your girl for a cruise sometimes.

Plus you'll never have to wonder if you would have been happier with the bigger bike.

If you're going to spend all that money you should really get what you want.
Interesting theory.

Why do you want an R1 over an R6? Have you ridden either? (I'm guessing you haven't because you don't know if the "R1s are really as hard to ride as everyone says." The R6 is an awesome bike. There's nothing about it I don't like. (It just needs a steering damper) But I've gone 2-up on the R6 many times and it's not a problem. It has plenty of power from about 6k RPM (with a redline of 15.5k) on up. And if you hit it hard, the thing wheelies (that's when you're riding solo, it really does it when you're 2-up.) It's cheaper on Ins, It's easier on tires (in theory), and it doesn't need any work when it comes "out of the crate" Granted you are buying used.

On the other side you can't say "I have an R1"

You make the call
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 11:45 AM

My point is that bigger bikes have more power, and buying one bike instead of two will save money. If I was going to buy one or the other I'd get the liter bike.

Last edited by nick_nolastname; 10-07-2001 at 12:05 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 01:05 PM

Talking more power scotty?

Quote:
My point is that bigger bikes have more power, and buying one bike instead of two will save money. If I was going to buy one or the other I'd get the liter bike.
Hey nick, I would love to have the R1 but I went to Yama, and I really couldn't tell a "HUGE" difference in between the R1 and R6. The R6 is lighter, and is easier to handle. For most purposes the R6, is a better choice for the street and canyon rides. The only reason one would want to get the R1 is for "bragging rights" at the drag strip, then there is the Suzuki that will smoke both. I really don't see what the big commotion is on "power" when the R6 is "smoked" by the R1 by miliseconds!!!! Wow, can you say R6 up on your rear R1 seat! That's not even a full blink of a eye.

It really kind of irrates the hell out of me, when people "hint" the R6 is a begginer, slower bike, and the R1 are for the fast, more "experience" riders. This is hog wash. Actually I ride with the big liter bikes, and it is the rider that make the difference Get the R6, ride it and enjoy it, if you still want a R1 then buy all means, get one. I betcha', you'll get on the R6, and fall in love, and keep it! I read somewhere, were someone mention the R6 loses its retail value more than the R1. Wake up boys, the R6 and R1 depreciate at the same time, at the same rate. The R1 only seems to mantains is value is because it cost more to begin with!

Last edited by richardr6; 10-07-2001 at 01:12 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 01:12 PM

Wow thats a lot of typing. I'd still buy the liter bike. In fact I own one, not as fast as an R1 but it will do. Its silly to think that the "only" reason someone would buy an R1 is so they can brag about it. You dont know why people bought them. Rather than turn Doogies thread into a flame war between me and guys with small bikes and big attitudes, I'll just stop responding. Go ahead and type all you want. Good luck Doogie Im sure you will enjoy either one.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 01:24 PM

What?

Quote:
Wow thats a lot of typing. I'd still buy the liter bike. In fact I own one, not as fast as an R1 but it will do. Its silly to think that the "only" reason someone would buy an R1 is so they can brag about it. You dont know why people bought them. Rather than turn Doogies thread into a flame war between me and guys with small bikes and big attitudes, I'll just stop responding. Go ahead and type all you want. Good luck Doogie Im sure you will enjoy either one.
WOW, that was a quick answer! I am sure Doogie will enjoy either one. My point was not to "start" anything. It is "silly" to purchase a R1 because you "think" your getting alot more power when you are not. That was my only point. I really don't understand your point nick? Your post is the one that mentions "more power" You would still buy the big liter bike, for little horsepower gain? WHY? You think.... that is "silly" that people buy the R1 for bragging rights? Man, that is the only reason to get the R1, that would be MY only reason. The R1 is slower in corners, heavier, etc. so what are you going to do with the extra horsepower, cook hotdogs? N man, you gonna light those tires!

The R6 does everything the R1 does, and better, just with a little less horsepower and torque. If I get the R1, the red light would be like a Christmas tree man I get people just find, just some don't want to admit it the truth.....Good luck Nick! LOL LDLD
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 07:24 PM

Hey guys, take it easy!

The question was what bike to get, R6, R1. This is starting to turn nasty. Try to keep it to posting your oinion or give an argument on posts. We do not need to slam each other.

I think we need to read what Doogie really wants from his bike. What are you going to do with it?

As far as owning two bikes. There is nothing wrong with owning two bikes. I have two bikes myself. It depends on the mood. (Don't get on AZScott for owning multiple bikes. He has one for every day of the week.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode