Black Forest ride - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Black Forest ride

Hey all, I havn't been on the board in a while cause I've been off galivanting on vacation. Today, however, I just had to share.

My buddy here in Germany, being damn cool as he is, let me take off today on his race replica Suzuki 250 2-stroke for a jaunt through the Black Forest

If anyone makes it here to the south of Germany, I strongly recomend renting or borrowing a bike and giving the roads through the forest a try! Well paved, great twisties, few speed limit areas, few cars and the cars that are on the road are usually good drivers cause it's such a pain to get a licence over here. It's pretty much like I'd always pictured Heaven to be

Anyone else ever get to cruise these roads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 06:59 AM

Thumbs up Germany

Not the Black Forest but generally around northern Germany. As you say, great roads, (mostly)good drivers and brilliant views.
The main thing that is great about anywhere in Europe is that bikes are part of the culture and you are treated as an equal.
Hope you enjoyed your visit.

Last edited by Smeghead; 10-06-2001 at 08:50 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2001, 02:14 AM

Re: Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead
The main thing that is great about anywhere in Europe is that bikes are part of the culture and you are treated as an equal.
Hope you enjoyed your visit.

Interesting Smeg. Here in America, a biker is treated either as a novelty item or a nuisance. Rarely ever as an equal.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2001, 02:32 AM

Re: Re: Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker

Interesting Smeg. Here in America, a biker is treated either as a novelty item or a nuisance. Rarely ever as an equal.
So sad, but so true!!!

It's gotten so bad over here (I'm in New York) that I'm contemplating selling my street bike and getting a track bike. It's just not safe on the roads here! At least on the track I won't have to worry about getting run over by an SUV driver who's talking on their cell phone!

Nimbus,
I wish that the U.S. would adopt the same driving laws (or at least the qualifications for a license) as Germany. The majority of the people on the road in the U.S. are not qualified to operate an automobile. The mindset here is that driving is a "right" not a "privilege." It takes longer to get a gun than it does a driver's license, and more people die from cars each year than from gunshots. It's just not right!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2001, 10:24 AM

Re: Re: Germany

Quote:

Here in Northern Ireland, it's pretty cool due to the road race scene. Over in Britain I have heard & read of bikers being turned away from pubs etc. just because they choose to ride bikes.

Europeans start out early (aprox. 14 y.o.) riding scooters & small bikes so there is an acceptance of all things two wheeled.
Also with the southern regions of Europe having better weather for most of the year, the motorcycle doesn't dissappear come winter. This and the heritage & culture promotes an equal understanding between road users & the general population.

I love riding round the battlefields of France (Somme, Normandy etc.) as the roads are good, sights are awesome & the people friendly.

If you ever get the chance to come over to this side of the pond, Do It !

Here's a pic. of the Canadian trenches at Vimy Ridge. I spent a couple of weeks touring round this historical area this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: png vimy trenches (resized).png (297.4 KB, 66 views)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 02:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Germany

Quote:

Here in Northern Ireland, it's pretty cool due to the road race scene. Over in Britain I have heard & read of bikers being turned away from pubs etc. just because they choose to ride bikes.

Europeans start out early (aprox. 14 y.o.) riding scooters & small bikes so there is an acceptance of all things two wheeled.
Also with the southern regions of Europe having better weather for most of the year, the motorcycle doesn't dissappear come winter. This and the heritage & culture promotes an equal understanding between road users & the general population.

I love riding round the battlefields of France (Somme, Normandy etc.) as the roads are good, sights are awesome & the people friendly.

If you ever get the chance to come over to this side of the pond, Do It !

Here's a pic. of the Canadian trenches at Vimy Ridge. I spent a couple of weeks touring round this historical area this summer.
Interesting about Britain. I occassionally read the British bike magazines and it seems(at least in their opinions) the British general public loathes motorcycles. At least their car drivers do. Anyway, in America, the Automobile rules. The bigger the better. That's why SUV's are so damn popular. Also remember that petrol prices here are ridiculously inexpensive compared to Europe. Hence, it's easier to own a big engined vehicle over a period of time.

If I ever get an opportunity to go to Europe, I would definitely go see Normandy, France. Just to pay my respects. I don't know about Paris though. I heard people are not too friendly towards Americans there. Places I'd definitely go to are Spain, Italy, and Germany(just to drive in their autobahns). And of course the UK.

Dream on Rogue. My main problem is $$ and the fact that I can't stand flying in an airliner for more than a few hours!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 02:55 AM
Pete

Re: Re: Re: Germany

Quote:

Damn Smeg, that's one helluva tight road!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 03:28 AM

The bike press do tend to blow up out of proportion certain happenings but generally it's fine.

You've got to watch out for blind, mobile-using, flat capped, it's MY road car drivers everywhere !

Paris is a pain & the parisians don't like anybody !

Spain, Germany & Italy (especially Italy ) are 1st class.

Normandy is excellant. There's so much to see that it's difficult to fit it all in. I have been to Omaha beach American cemetary & it is one of the most thought provoking places you could visit. Really beautiful in it's own way.

Pete, tight is right ! Mind you, when you actually see how close the jerry lines were you'd keek yourself !

Another wee pic, this time on the Normandy coast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batteries.jpg (19.5 KB, 43 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2001, 08:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Germany

Quote:

Dream on Rogue. My main problem is $$ and the fact that I can't stand flying in an airliner for more than a few hours!
You'll just have to fly on Concorde (now that they've fixed it) to cut your flight time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode