zx-9r owners read - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

zx-9r owners read

Just changed my frt sprocket from factory 16t to 15 t. Oh my God is about all I can say. I was going to get rid of it and get a gsxr 1000 for more torque to ride wheelies easier and stuff but no need now. Funny thing is I have factory exhaust and no jet kit yet. When I get new systems the thing will be pure evil!!!!
Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 11:35 AM

Hmm, you like it that much huh? That's cool!! Thanks for the tip, I may just have to try that.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

yea you can just gag it and pick the front end up in 2nd, I couldn't do that before cause I weigh 205. No clutching it or jerking it up.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 11:44 AM

I just had the big-bore kit, cams and flat-slide carbs installed about a month ago. Already had it jetted and muzzy exhaust. It was kinda expensive and I was thinking about a GSXR1000 just like you but decided to keep the 9 and do some things to it since it's paid for. It'll power wheelie in 3rd now no problem, maybe if I change that sprocket I'd be able to do it in 4th he he he!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

damn dude, I couldnt imagine mine with a big bore kit in it. I was going to do the same thing, but the mechanic said the big bore kit would be hard on the rods and you would severely shorten the life of the motor. He told me all I need is the complete muzzy system, jet ket, sprocket and timing advancer and thats all I would need. There's a guy who's got a 99 that has all that done here and has dyno'd 149 at the rear wheel. Geez with that big bore kit you have to be pushing 165 or 170.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

oh and by the way, it's a 15$ upgrade and takes about 30 min to install!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 12:05 PM

Yeah I know the gearing change is incredible. I went the other direction first. I put a 44 tooth in the rear. I also have a 15 tooth for the front but I haven't put it in yet. But when I do.......look out. The only prob is my speedo and odometer are even more off than factory. I have it calculated at about 11% high from stock. I thought about putting a yellow box in but since this is a keeper bike I may just leave it as is, or disconnect the speedo sensor.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I wouldn't over do it if I were you. I tooth in the front is like adding 4 in the rear.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shannon muse
I wouldn't over do it if I were you. I tooth in the front is like adding 4 in the rear.
Yes 1 tooth in the front is like adding 4 in the rear, well 3 actually but that's neither here nor there for the point I'm about to make. Shannon Muse , what you did to your bike by replacing the front sprocket is good for wheelies and everything, but if you want to get any kind of decent life from your chain, you should replace the rear sprocket with a piece 3 teeth bigger. The reason for this is that your chain almost has to kink to get around that tiny front sprocket, but it will not complain whatsoever if it has to wrap around a slightly larger rear sprocket. It's the tight turns that get to it (kind of like a squid). My advice is that any time you are going to replace a sprocket to get more low end pull, replace the rear. It is more expensive, but it saves money in the long run in chain replacements that will be avoided.

Ride safe...Ride hard...
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shannon muse
damn dude, I couldnt imagine mine with a big bore kit in it. I was going to do the same thing, but the mechanic said the big bore kit would be hard on the rods and you would severely shorten the life of the motor. He told me all I need is the complete muzzy system, jet ket, sprocket and timing advancer and thats all I would need. There's a guy who's got a 99 that has all that done here and has dyno'd 149 at the rear wheel. Geez with that big bore kit you have to be pushing 165 or 170.
Yeah, Muzzy claims more than 160hp with the big-bore kit and their exhaust. With the addition of the cams and carbs, I'm guessing a little more, maybe 165 or so, haven't had it dynoed yet. I heard the same thing about big bore kits shortening the life of the engine but Kawi makes a bulletproof rock-solid engine so it should hold up. I guess only time will tell. Take care man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode