New Guy, New Question... RC51 or Aprilla RSV Mille? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up New Guy, New Question... RC51 or Aprilla RSV Mille?

Hello, Hello! Well, I dediced to start my SbWorld career with a bang. Anyway, I now ride an R6, and am lookin to get a new bike, specifically a larger bike, like a v-twin The only two twins that catch my eye, are obviously these two.

Does anyone have any exp. with either bike, I.E. going from a 600 to a twin, or any opinion's as to which one will be a better ride? (I know that last question will get me some heat )

As to what kind of riding I do, I ride to work and back during the week, about 5-6 mile ride, and on the weekend, I hit the good ol' twisties, about 15 mins from my place How much of a difference between twins and 4 bangers are there? Any and all opinions/advice/experiences, are extremely welcome! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 10:24 PM

The Mille on looks alone!!
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 11:29 PM

Mille Mille Mille

To quote BIKE magazine,"If you cherish a well-crafted motorcycle you couldn't ask for more. And if you want to learn how to ride faster on the track it's probably the only one that will give you a lot more than you're capable of using". And that was about the standard Mille RSV, so the RSV-R would be even better. My good mate Norm has recently changed his ZXR750 for a Mille & really loves it. Full of character he reckons. Get a test ride if you can & you'll find out if the power of a big twin gets the juices flowing

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 02:24 AM

Mille or RC51

I own a 2000 RC51 that is highly modified. The stock RC51 is very sluggish handling but a bargain price. The basic Mille is almost $14K. If you buy a RC51, have GMD set it up with a Penske shock and shock linkage, fork kit, slip on pipes, PC11 (excellent maps available, see RC51.net) you will have a bike that has significantly more power than the Mille, better suspension & handling. I have $7K invested in mine including full race system, marchesini wheels, so on with my target being a Mille R. I would say that my modified bike is superior to a Mille R. The Mille R would be my next choice but after owning a Ducati 916 I do not know if I want the hassle of an Italian Bike (high cost to maintain, lots of quality quirks) and hard to find dealers, especially ones that will not charge an arm & a leg for service every 5000 miles ($375-$600 for the Duc) not to mention wait in line to get it done or get it back. My advice if it is your only bike, pick the Honda. If you are looking for exotic (only 4000 RC51s are out there by the way) the Mille R is the way to go but get the R over the basic one or you way regret it especially if you arelooking for the "cool" factor.

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 04:30 AM

I agree with Steve, if you can get the Mille R then do so otherwise get the RC and just invest a little money in it. The base Mille is a nice bike but doesn't have the power of the RC even with the factory restriction removed but it does have a ton of torque. However, I don't think you would be disappointed with either Mille model or the RC. The Mille is more comfortable.

I disagree with Bike Magazine saying that the base Mille is the only one that will give you more than you're capable of using. Unless you are a pro or very good expert then you will not be capable of everything that either bike has to offer. The aftermarket is more favorable for the RC. Remember, the foreign magazines have their noses so far up Italy's ass it isn't even funny. Kind of like the US magazines and the Jap bikes manufacturers.

I came off of a VFR750 and we also had a YZF600. All I can say is once you've had a Twin you will never go back.

If you purchase an RC and invest the difference in cost(RC vs Mille) then you could end up with an RC capable of spanking almost everything on the road and definitely all of the other twins. The open class bikes would surely be fun to torment.

If I could afford a Mille R then that is the bike I would own. I just couldn't afford one.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 04:58 AM

Talking

The RC51's handing is.... uh... what's that word, Paul?
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 06:18 AM

For what it's worth, maintenance on an Aprilia is no different than, nor should it cost any more than a jap bike. Thus far they have proven to be every bit as reliable.

Additionally, as I found out this weekend, they also crash very well.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stake
Additionally, as I found out this weekend, they also crash very well.
And as a result, look very good propped up against the tire wall in the run-off area. Hey, at least there's one way to keep it from passing me...
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerblade
The RC51's handing is.... uh... what's that word, Paul?
The RC51 has a disjointed chassis and handles like shit. Don't be lured into buying one, you'll only regret it. There are only 4 RC51's in the WORLD that are worth a damn, Edward's and Okada's. Even the RC51's in the AMA are junk.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jtensuan

And as a result, look very good propped up against the tire wall in the run-off area. Hey, at least there's one way to keep it from passing me...
Hey smartguy, it was on the sidestand! Just because you didn't crash like the rest of us doesn't mean that you get to cast dispersions.

Wait a minute.....in retrospect I guess it does mean that.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode