zx9r vs. hayabusa - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

zx9r vs. hayabusa

I went to a drag race yesterday at MIR in Budds Creek Maryland. It was an import car shootout but they had motorcycle bracket races as well. Anyway...... There were about 15 bikes in the shootout and anothe 25-30 in the show area. about 12 out of the 15 bikes racing were kawasaki's. And they were beating the shit out of every thing there. All of the bikes there were heavily modified for drag. Modified dogbones, raised forks, fork straps, engine work, etc.

Fastest of the day was a zx12r with a 9.54 et. at 150mph or so. Anyway... I was sitting in the stands watching and the announcer comes over the loud speaker and announces a zx9r vs. hayabusa. And me being the proud owner of a zx9, I say to my friend how ugly the hayabusa is and that it should lose by looks alone. Some dick head behind me says some garbage about "fastest production bike... blah, blah, blah." I just ignored his dumb ass. And sure enough 10 seconds later I turned around and asked him "What was it you were saying about kawasaki's being slow?" The zx9 beat the hayabusa with a 9.95 sec. et to a 9.99 sec. et

Bring The Pain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 12:12 PM

I'm going to just sit here and keep quiet.....
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Re: zx9r vs. hayabusa

Quote:
Originally posted by bracewater
Bring The Pain
I was trying to get some discussion going...

Quote:
I'm going to just sit here and keep quiet.....
The story is true though

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 12:22 PM

No offence bracewater but what is you're point ????... The chap sat behind you does have a point !!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 12:24 PM

Re: Re: zx9r vs. hayabusa

Quote:

I was trying to get some discussion going...
The story is true though
Oh I understand. I'm not trying to start anything, but there are a million factors of why that happened: Rider error, stock Busa against a built ZX-9, crappy holeshot by Busa, etc.

I just didn't want to start a big flame by bringing the reasons up.

In the same regard, I have tape of my old roommate beating a ZX-9 with a GSXR-600. Story's true, but the kid on the ZX was a squid and my roommate is Dustin Clark who dragraced for American Suzuki in the 600 Supersport class of Prostar....

Last edited by mbnickel; 07-23-2001 at 12:28 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by "bladerunner"
No offence bracewater but what is you're point ????... The chap sat behind you does have a point !!!!
No point really.... just wanted to chap some arses into conversation really you know.... Instigation!

-Cheers-
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Re: zx9r vs. hayabusa

Quote:
Originally posted by mbnickel

Oh I understand. I'm not trying to start anything, but there are a million factors of why that happened: Rider error, stock Busa against a built ZX-9, crappy holeshot by Busa, etc.

I just didn't want to start a big flame by bringing the reasons up.

In the same regard, I have tape of my old roommate beating a ZX-9 with a GSXR-600. Story's true, but the kid on the ZX was a squid and my roommate is Dustin Clark who dragraced for American Suzuki in the 600 Supersport class of Prostar....
Yeah I think the guys were both pretty good, but the busa was on a stock wheelbase albeit lowered.... and the zx9 was lowered on an extended arm.

No flame throwing contest intended just a friendly opinion .....
That and I got bored at work and wondered what kind of reactions I could get.. nothing more

Cheers
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: zx9r vs. hayabusa

Quote:

That and I got bored at work and wondered what kind of reactions I could get.. nothing more

Cheers
My reaction is: stock vs stock, no ZX9R will beat a Busa any day.

A few weeks ago, I had a run in with a few squids on kawasaki's. One was riding a late model ZX6R, one on a ZX7R, yet another on a fairly new ZX9R. The ZX9R had a pipe on it with a bunch of aftermarket bolt-on parts on like windshiled, seat, racing body parts, paint, you name it. His bike looked like the poster bike for Lockhart Philips. The rider of the 9 also seemed like the lead squid as he kept pulling wheelies at every intersection and generally leading his little rabble away from the line like they were shot out of a cannon. Finally, I decided to see how good they were. I pulled up to the line next the the 7 & 9(the 6 stayed behind me--smart guy). Both guys were revvin' getting ready for the green. I stayed calm. Light goes green, both 7 & 9 take off hard with the 9 wheelying off the line. They left me for a second as I didn't particularly launch hard. I feathered the clutch, then whacked the throttle open to 8k. The front end was about to come up when I shortshifted to 2nd. That's when I caught the 7. I whacked the throttle open again and revved it to 11k. On the trip there I caught the 9 and passed it. I could hear his Akrapovic screaming out for every last bit of power. But I went by him like he was standing still. I got too busy watching the 9 go by that I hit the limiter and had to back off. I quickly shifted to 3rd then whacked the throttle wide open again. By that time the speedo was going towards 150 mph and the next signal was coming up fast, so I slowed it down and short-shifted to 6th. A few seconds later, all 3 bikes went by me fast. It was all over by then though. I had proven my point.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 01:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: zx9r vs. hayabusa

Quote:

Yeah I think the guys were both pretty good, but the busa was on a stock wheelbase albeit lowered.... and the zx9 was lowered on an extended arm.

Cheers
Right on, I have respect for all sportbikes, (except Buell's), so I don't want to start any flames either.....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 02:27 PM

wow

Rogue, im so proud of you for beating a 9 with a 13. you badass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode