Funny little rally went to this weekend - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Funny little rally went to this weekend

While heading home on friday, I see a sign on the highway titled "Summer Stomp" and a picture of a bike on it. Having nothing better to do, I wheeled off the road and took off to the site.
Well, as soon as I got there, I knew I was out of place. Looked like Harley heaven. A sea of black, chrome, and beer guts assaulted my eyes.
Having nothing better to do (and always taking the option to piss off harley riders), I paid the entrance fee, and wheeled in and parked in line, immediately drawing glares of disgust, hehe.
Was about 350 bikes there. Would say about 85% harleys, 10 percent japanese cruisers and imitations (goldwings, magnas, vstars), and the last 5% being BSAs and a coupel triumphs. I was one of 3 sportbikes there.
Was a fun three day blast. Lots of events, lots of showing off (ahh, the sweet smell of someone burning off thier back tire), and a lot of good people. Luckily, the majority of people there werent too concerned with what a person was riding. As long as you were on two wheels, it was all good.
I did take a lot of ribbing about my bike. Favorite terms of jap crap abounded. Quite a few shots at my riding outfit were taken too, but I didnt pay them much mind looking around at the surprisingly high number of injured HD riders with road rash all over.
Did have quite a few take more of an interest in my bike after the first beer run was made. I set out with about 10 other riders to the closest store. Course when everyone started up thier hogs, the only way I had to tell that my bike was still running was by goosing the gas to see if the bike was on, was so noisy. So we all take off like a bat out of hell and rip to the store. Was a decent clip along the back roads at around 120kmh, but cornering they were slowing down to 60ish. After about ten mins I took off from the front of the pack and started aggressively cornering and pulling away. When they caught up to me at the store, there were 8 guys in the pack of us who had never been on a sportbike before and didnt know they cornered that well. Couple wanted to take a test ride so they lit out on my bike leaving me riding thier HDs. While they liked the handling of the sportbike, I detested the handling of thiers, hehe. I am a big twistie fan, and after riding thier bikes even just the little bit I did, it reinforced my opinion to never get one.
Weather was a little crappy on saturday with lots of rain, but didnt dampen anyones enthusiasm. No fights (but lots of sumo beer gut bumping), and only 1 rider had to go to the hospital for a broken arm when he crashed in one of the obstacle races.
So met a lot of good people, saw a lot of really sweet custom bikes and paint jobs, decent bands and lots of partying. While I enjoyed it, I know I will have more fun at the SBW rally end of august in kelowna. I just find sportbike rallys more fun because thats the kind of bikes I love and ride =)

Later,
Dan

Last edited by Crius; 07-22-2001 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 07:04 PM

Right On!

That's pretty cool, bro! We don't really have any rallies around here, (especially sportbike rallies), except for the occasional Hardley-Ableson get-together. There's a decent size one in late summer called the Bean-Blossom-Boogie, where, about 4 years ago, everyone at the rally chipped in $25 and they purchased a brand new ZX-7 from one of the local shops. They then took the bike back to the rally point and raise it up with a crane, (don't know where that came from), and dropped it on the ground... smashing it pretty bad. A bunch of them then took bats and whatever else they could find, and pummelled the poor, defenseless Kawi till it's last breath. I guess that is supposed to be symbolic..."If you can't beat 'em...kill 'em before you have to compete".....or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode