Brakes shutter a bit - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Angry Brakes shutter a bit

I noticed today that when I brake hard (Front brakes) that it seems to shutter or pulse in the handlebars. I've not riden much in the last few weeks (since I got back from the gap)I've got the Goodrich -2 ss lines, and EBC HH pads. The rotors are smooth with no hint of scoring.

When I just lightly touch the brakes, the don't do it. I'm running Motol 5.1 fluid.

Any idea's...could it be a slightly warped rotor? Could it just be the heat?

I never noticed this while riding before. At the Gap I was a little hard on the brakes, (At least harder than normal) going into corners, but I don't remember them ever acting like this.

The weather here at home has been HOT. In the upper 90's and about the same for the humidity. Heat Index of about 115
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 03:57 PM

Mine does that occasionally too. No idea what causes it. I'm not hard on the brakes at all, and I only have about 3500 miles on the bike.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 06:44 AM

The only thing i can think of is the rotor is slightly warped.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

Eric,

Can you feel the pulsing in the brake lever itself or just in the handlebars? Is it an up and down pulsing?

My R1 does this when the steering bearings need to be tightened or replaced. It only does it at high speeds under hard braking. Mine work their way loose about every 5,000 miles.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Just in the handlebars. I'm going to check the steering next.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 01:55 PM

Mine's only in the bars as well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, Don't have a spanner wrench so I cannot check the steering.

Took brakes apart and cleaned them. Couldn't tell if the rotors are warped or if it was just my head moving. That's how little if any they were warped.

Funny thing is this. At about 45 mph and above, they shake. Below about 40 mph, it's perfect.

Is this characteristic of steering stem needing to be tightened down?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Just thought of something. I generally use a front pit bull stand that lifts by the bottom of the forks. Wonder if that could have accelerated the steering needing to be adjusted. I'll find out tomorrow when I get a spanner wrench
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Well, I couldn't find anyone with a spanner wrench in this God forsaken town. The dealer told me to use channel-locks. They didn't even have the correct tool.

I decided to try a different approach. I put the stock pads back in. FIXED THE PROBLEM!!! You gotta be shitting me. The EBC HH pads probably glazed over after only 2300 miles :angry:

I'm going to call EBC tomorrow and see what they have to say. I broke the pads in per their recommendations. I ran about 300 miles stop and go city driving before I went on my trip. Should have been plenty of time for them to mate with rotors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode