What should my revs be? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

What should my revs be?

Hey... I'm new. I've been riding an '88 CBR-600 for a couple months now in a small town. The dude who had the bike before me must've been an idiot because he put a SuperTrapp exhaust on it (and not one of the new ones either) so it's pretty damn loud.
Anyway, I live in a small town, speed limits average 30/50kms and my speeds are 50/60km/h, I was just wondering what my revs should be like in these speeds. I can't really tell (and I'm not certain in my ability to tell) if I'm boggin the engine, so I just wanted to know what an average RPM would be at these speeds, I think I might be running a gear too high a lot just because of the sound of the bike (used to cars). Any help would be appreciated. Thx for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 07:06 PM

Your pipe, most likely, is a lot louder when you have your helmet on. I used to only have one helmet and when my girl rode, I made her wear it. Everytime I rode the bike without the helmet i used to get pissed. My pipe sounded like it was screaming and not that deep choppy popping I was used too. Sounded like a dueled out Chevy with the helmet and sounded like my 95 Tercel with the Helmet off LMAO

Then on the other hand, maybe you've heard the bike when someone else road it by you? As far as your revs, sorry I don't know much about the older CBRs. I just run my R6 where it's comfortable for me, Bike vibrates like crazy above 8K and a constant speed. I usualy ride between 6K and 7K. 1 or 2 downshifts from halling butt

Just be alert and ride safe...later
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Wow.

Yeah, you could be right, I've never really heard it without the helmet. Thx man, I've been running it at like 4 tops when I'm doing 30-60 km/h. You could've saved me a lot of trouble. Again, any replies are welcome and thx man.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by minfinger
Your pipe, most likely, is a lot louder when you have your helmet on... Sounded like a dueled out Chevy with the helmet and sounded like my 95 Tercel with the Helmet off.
Huh???

You sound like one phuked up lil' cracker. Please explain this further. Do you only take your earplugs out when you put your helmet on?

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks the sound of my bike is muffled when wearing a helmet?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 09:06 AM

I get bugs in my eyes when I wear a helmet.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 10:30 AM

Lightbulb

yeah that does seem strange to me. I can't hear my exhaust at all with my helmet on, only if I take it off and stick my head over on the exhaust side of the bike.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Well, I went for a rip last night and ran it a gear lower everywhere, about 4.5-5k. Sounds like it runs waay better, no chugging at all, just a smooth (LOUD) hum. It redlines at 12,000 so I think those RPMs should be right.
On a side note, whenever I would pull up to a stopsign I could smell some gas fumes, not tons, but the odour was there. The dude who had it before me never got it jetted for the pipe, and I don't have the cash to do it now but I can adjust the backpressure on the muffler with those disks. So basically my question now is: Running rich, should I make more or less backpressure?

Also, my neighbours officially hate me now, thx
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 11:49 PM

Tigerblade....When I put my helmet on, I take my ear plugs out and stick them in my nose so the bugs won't get in. Doesn't everyone do this?

I'm no aucustics(sp) expert, but it just sounded louder to me when my helmet was on.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2001, 05:02 AM

I've got an F3 and I presume that it revs pretty similarly to the F1. I ride around town in 3rd, sometimes 4th gear. 4th gear @ 60kph is ~3800rpm on the F3. I think you're nearer to [email protected] in 3rd gear.

I try to keep the revs above 4k, but not more than 7k around town. I do a lot of 'round-town' riding and keeping the revs up a little bit helps keep the carbon build-up in your cylinders down.

Hope this helps.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2001, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

It does, thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode