Clutchless Shifting? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Question Clutchless Shifting?

Clutches are good!!
But, in a "big-rig", a car, or anything else that manual transmition, it's possible to shift without the use of the clutch. I did this a couple of times on my '86 Interceptor and I was curious (ex post facto) if it's bad for the tranny in any way.
So...is it bad to clutchless shift?
TIA!

PS,
There were no clunks, grinds, or other illtempered sounds. Just a nice smooth shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 06:12 PM

not bad if you do it smooth and properly
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 06:22 PM

Upshift only....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GaBandit12
Upshift only....
Had to be said as obvious as it seems. I read a letter in a mag once where the guy never used his clutch, up or down. Then he was wondering why his tranny was junk...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 07:51 PM

We covered that before. You can do it up and down. Down is prolly a bit harder on the tranny than up, but if done smoothly it isnt that bad.
Personally, I find it easier to go up and don't go down cause I am not smooth enough.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 09:07 AM

Thumbs up

sure you can shift without a clutch. im my del sol going into any gear around 3000 rpm's give it a tad bit of gas and you can pop it out of gear and pop it into the next gear without ever using the clutch. anything above or below 3000-3500 and youll just grind away. also downshifting will also cause you to grind away.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 09:34 AM

When I was 16 I drove a mustang for a month without any clutch what so ever. The only problems I had was getting going....I just slammed it into gear! Shifting was a breeze, and I actually found dowshifts to be smoother and quicker than upshifts, as long as you blipped the throttle to match the revs. On upshifts, unless you really forced it, you would feel resistance and have to wait momentarily while the syncros matched speeds. Of course slamming it into gear constantly to get going was an extemely stupid thing to do (I was 16 ) and I eventually destroyed the transmission.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 10:27 AM

Lightbulb

whats the alternative to slamming it into first? turning off the engine as you slow down? then starting it in gear?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 10:40 AM

I do it all the time when I up shift. If you do it right it should be no different than when you do use the clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode