Is disk lock worth the $ and trouble? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Question Is disk lock worth the $ and trouble?

To those who use a disk lock, had a disk lock or will buy a disk lock:

I recently bought a bright disk lock to secure my bike, eventhough it's garaged, I still wanted the peace of mind.

After securing the disk lock, I noticed that if I forget to take it off, and roll the bike backwards, the disk will catch the fender and make a good size crack to it. So being smart I started to wrap a rubberband around the throatle and brake lever. I would wrap the rubber band to the lock when storing the lock.

Do you guys have any better way to remind yourselves in removing the disk lock?

Second Part:

I know it is true that if someone wanted your bike bad enough, usually they will get it. In the case of disk lock, they will cut the disk much like cutting the steering wheel to remove the "club". How true is that? Has anyone had their bike stole even with the disk lock?

BOTTOM LINE:

Is the disk lock worth the trouble to justify the limited protection that it offers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 05:07 PM

I think anything that makes the thief's job more dificult is worth it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 05:17 PM

I agree with GB. If it is a pain to the thief.
Personally I use a lever lock. Sometimes. While the lever can be cut and the bike taken, it is big and obvious. Keeps the honest people honest. Looks sharp too, since it is polished aluminum!
Better than a rubberband is a scrunchie. The thing chicks put in their hair. Bit easier to keep track of. Other people use other reminds as well.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 05:47 PM

Unhappy Sometimes Life sux!!

If someone REALLY wants to break into your house,steal your car or your bike they will do it.Period. No matter what kind of "protection" you may have.
All you can hope to do is to slow them down and make their job such a royal pain that they will move on to somebody else's possessions that are not as hard to steal.
And yes I have and use a Kryptonite disc lock.

JIM
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 06:25 PM

Well, I don't actually have a disk lock. But if I got one, I know exactly what I would get to remind me to take it off before riding. If you have ever looked around a small airport, many planes will have prop ties with a yellow ribbon attached that is imprinted "Remove Before Takeoff" with a ring on the end that could be locked on most disk locks. It's bright, noticable, and describes my riding style quite well. Check with someone at the airport for a place to buy these at.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 06:59 AM

Lightbulb

I was considering buy a disc lock. I was thinking about getting the kind with the alarm built in that goes off if the bike is moved.

On a side note about vehicle protection. I saw on Maximum-Exposure the other day a device that fits to your car to prevent carjacking. Basically its 2 flame throwers mounted under the car doors, one on each side.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Question alarm disk lock

Thanks for all your responses.

Would disk locks with alarm a better choice when it comes to reminding the rider to remove it before riding?

Does the alarm go off when deteting motion or only when being tampered?

If the alarm goes off when motion is detected such as simply mounting the bike, then I would trade my ordinary disk lock in and get the one with the alarm instead.

I wish my bike has a burglar armor a la "batmobile"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Vector

Thanks for answering the alarm disk lock before I had the chance to submit my question.

It's like you read my mind
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 07:38 AM

I know Kryptonite sells a disk lock package. It comes with the disk lock, key with a light for night time, spare key, case, and a LONG orange band that you stretch from the lock to your throttle. You cant miss it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Motoman80
I know Kryptonite sells a disk lock package. It comes with the disk lock, key with a light for night time, spare key, case, and a LONG orange band that you stretch from the lock to your throttle. You cant miss it.
it works really well. the orange band is hard to miss. but if you do forget to put the reminder on the hole in the fender isn't as bad a you would think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode