Some advice for a new rider. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Cool Some advice for a new rider.

Hey guys, im new to this fforum...and actually new to street bikes...Ive ridden dirtbikes for about 10 years or so and just recently started riding on the street. My friend has an older CBR 600 that he lets me borrow every now and then...anyways, on to my question....I live in the Mojave desert where we experience temp. extremes in the summer and winter months. Would you recomend a bike for an only means of transportation. I mean it rains once in a blue moon, and we sometimes get a tiny bit of ice in the winter but other than that its just plain hot. Ive been looking at CBR 900's (93-99). What can i do to prepare myself, and the bike for riding year round? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 06:34 AM
Squidwannabe

www.msf-usa.org

Take the course. Get a smaller bike too.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Squidwannabe
www.msf-usa.org

Take the course. Get a smaller bike too.
Sigh. Standard brainless intenet response to any newbie post, I'm afraid.

Squidwannabe, tell me something.... ...is your advice ALL that's needed for anyone to be a safe rider, or is there more to it than that? There is? Then why didn't you give a bit more in terms of advice?

How about you guys reading this? Is this really the only advice that we can give? I could care less if it's a good place to start; you've got more to say than just this, right?

JeffroRacer, I get the idea that your original post was geared more towards bike preparation than what bike to get. Sorry I can't help you with the year-round approach (we get 2 seasons where I live; winter and construction)... ...maybe you can get some tips from some UK sites/mags (e.g., Performance Bikes magaazine, et al). Many englanders ride year-long.

If you are looking for some other advice on breaking into street riding, may I suggest a little reading? Check out the MSF's 'Guide to Motorcycling Excellence', Hough's 'Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well', and Code's 'Twist of the Wrist II'. All of these are available at sites like Amazon.com, etc.

Good luck,
-Metal

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 10:36 AM
Pete

Metal, speaking only for myself, sometimes when I am in a rush, I'll throw a snippet of advice out, knowing good and well that someone else will come along and add to it. When I am looking for advice, I like to have varying opinions, references, etc., even those that are only somewhat related to the topic, which enables me to make what I feel is a more educated decision.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 10:36 AM

Lightbulb

Be prepares to spend lots of money on different types of gear. I knew a guy who rode a bike as his only means of transportation, the only complaint he had was the rain, which shouldn't be a problem for you. I have a car too, but I rarely drive it anymore unless it's raining or I suddenly get the urge to go 0-60 in 15 seconds with a top speed of 70mph while getting 15mpg.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 10:43 AM

ok since no bothered to pay attention to the question you actually asked I'll give it a shot. i'm in the same climate region as you so here is my advice. buy a camelbak hydration is a killer on motorcycles, even worse in the desert. i don't have any problems with my 6R being my main source of transportation. i would definately own another vehicle tho'. shopping is really hard on a sports bike. buy protective summertime gear like the phoenix by Joe Rocket or something similar. there are several posts in the gear section about that stuff. your choice of bike is fine IMO. the key is show some selfcontrol. people who say you should buy a 500 or 250 are looking out for you, but without the rider the bike is a paper weight. don't ride like a frickin moron and you will be ok no mater what size bike your on. do they make gun owners start out with BBs or CO2s? botom line: you can kill yourself on a moped. don't believe the "it's just a 600" line or any crap about small bikes being safe. it's all about how you ride not what you ride.
be safe.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 11:07 AM
Pete

Back to the subject at hand...

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffroRacer
Would you recomend a bike for an only means of transportation.
I would not recommend having a motorcycle as your only means of transportation, but that's just me. I think the perfect combination is a motorcycle and a pickup. I am a fair-weather rider, and cold and rain aside, I don't like to arrive at my destination if being soaked with sweat is not appropriate. Also, a pickup will come in *very* handy when the bike needs to go to the shop. Just a couple of *my* thoughts you might want to consider.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 11:14 AM

Talking I Second The Notion

I am a desert guy too. So far as having two wheels as your only means....I have a friend that as a gixxer 7 that is his only means. If he needs to buy groceries, one of his ladies drives him.

Heat? Yeah camelback. I don't like the Phoenix jacket (personal experience with cordura) but some protection beats no protection. I like the vanson or spidi perforated leather jackets. Something about being able to sweat then have the hot air cool you rather than immediate wicking with the Phoenix.

Your bike should be just fine. You migh twant to consider upgrading the fan blades (I think Muzzy's makes a replacement) as if you're in traffic, it will run frequently.

Good luck!

P
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 11:35 AM

speaking as a newbie

"take the course. get a smaller bike..."

speaking as a newbie ( i just got my endorsment and have been riding since November, 2000), I am glad my first bike just happened to be a kawi ex-500. My ex girlfriend gave it too me, so no thought went into the size. But I'm starting too outgrow the bike... almost. I'll buy a new bike this spring, probably a 600cc bike. But I know my limits....

And "take the course...", what else can you say to a newbie? You can explain turning, counter steering, braking, etc... till you are blue in the face. But until the newbies like myself get on a bike, you are wasting your time. Wait till they have specific questions... questions that arise as they gain more experience...

~R
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 08:01 PM

What's the difference between Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist I and II? Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode