Chris, Geoff and the kiss of death - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Chris, Geoff and the kiss of death

What a weekend!!

I finally got a chance to get out with my great friend and awesome riding partner, Geoff, CBR600F4GD. Geoff and I have not been riding together much this year, certainly not as much as last year. Geoff has concentrated his efforts on the track and I've been slowly accumulating the track time necessaties.

Well, we managed to hit the most challenging roads around this weekend. Rt 125 in Shamokin PA, I'll steal a phrase from Jimmy Jr - "Delightfully Treacherous" We trailered the bikes up b/c the ride home in an ass anihilator.

It was great getting out with Geoff again, I really haven't ridden with many people this year, and you'll see why soon enough. We were having a blast, just running "The Pace", a quick agressive street pace but certainly leaving room for error. Geoff and I have a natural chemistry on the road. I always know what he's doing, when he's going to do what, etc. etc. I don't think I've ever ridden with someone as similarly minded about riding styles as Geoff is.

At one point, we found ourselves taking a break on the top of the mountain. We had seen a few sportbikes roaming around but hadn't caught up with anyone. We could hear two bikes coming up the mountain side. As they came into view we could see that these guys were running a good pace. There was a 2000/2001 SV650 and 2001 929. Geoff and I looked at each other and it was on. We through our gear back on, fired up the bikes and turned around and headed after our new found friends.

We were moving pretty damn fast down the mountain. I remember thinking to myself, "These guys must be good". Just when I thought that they were gone, they came into view at the bottom of the mountain. Geoff tucked in behind the guy on the SV650, who as behind the 929, and I tucked in behind Geoff as the last one in the group. As the group hit the first turn I got a great view of what looked like an almost race field. All three bikes and riders setting up their line and then diving in. It was awesome to watch. I remember thinking, cool these guys can ride, this is going to be fun.

The next turn that we hit, the 2nd one we hit as a group of four, is a real ass-biter. Whether you are coming up the mountain or going down it's challenging. Even though I know it's coming it still gets me once in a while. Going down the mountain, as we were at the time, the turn is really tight, it's definitely 2nd gear for most bikes. Right in the middle of the turn, where you are most likely to be at your max lean, the bottom drops out and the road drops sharply but continues to curve around at the same, 2nd gear sharp angle.

As the three bikes began to enter the turn, I remember thinking, damn these guys are really good because they were heading into this turn really hot. Well, just about the same time I thought that, the leader on the 929 lost it. I don't know if he panicced and broke or just came in too damn fast, but right at the point where the road drops he lost both wheels and started to slide wide into an embankment. He and the bike started to travel up the berm-style dirt wall when the front end of his bike dug into the ground. This caused the bike to start to go end over end with him still on it. The bike crushed him into the bank repeatedly as they both flipped paralell with the ground. The image I have in my head of the scene is horrific. I stood the bike up in the middle of the corner as did Geoff. We pulled over and I remember thinking, I'm going to see blood, guts and bones. I was sure he was very seriously hurt or perhaps even dead, the bike really pounded him into the dirt wall. Much to my surprise he stood up.

The 929 was toast. Probably 5k in damage. He had a leather jacket with jeans on. Well there wasn't much left of his jeans. He had alot of road rash and really took a wallop in the lower to mid back. You could see he was really bruised and he had trouble breathing. I think he may have internal injuries and/or rib damage. Well, we did what we could until some help arrived and then started to head back to the trailer.

Everytime Geoff and I go up to his Moutain, someone goes down. In front or behind, somehow it happens. This is why I don't like riding with anyone else. I prefer solo and w/ Geoff and that's it. We know our limits and each other well, we don't push each other - rather we challenge each other. Anyway, that's my story, it was an awesome ride. I'm going to email the wounded guy and see how he's doing.

Ride safe (Without me!! )

Peace!
Chris

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 08:47 AM

Sounds like he went for one hell of a ride....Glad to hear he seems not too seriously injured (hopefully).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 09:45 AM

Arrow

Chris,
Good job of describing the situation! I know what you mean about the connection between you and Geoff. I have that with my friend; you just sense what you can do. Hope that guy comes out of it okay.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerblade
I know what you mean about the connection between you and Geoff. I have that with my friend; you just sense what you can do...
I feel very dirty now

Seriously, I hope the guy comes through OK.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 10:13 AM

Re: Chris, Geoff and the kiss of death

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1
What a weekend!!... a group of four, is a real ass-biter... Even though I know it's coming it still gets me once in a while... really hot... Everytime Geoff and I go up to his Moutain, someone goes down. In front or behind, somehow it happens. This is why I don't like riding with anyone else... I prefer solo and w/ Geoff and that's it. We know our limits and each other well, we don't push each other...
Geez, Chris, sounds like a real "man's" weekend.

I'm glad to hear everybody survived. Man, you guys sound like you ride really fast! I'm thankful it wasn't me in that pack, I would have crashed for sure. One day, I hope to be able to ride like that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

LMAO Paul, yeah it was a man's weekend

Sarcastic bastard!

Peeeaaaaaaaaace!
ChR1s

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 10:45 AM
Pete

Chris, what happened to the wheelie contest?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Don't ask. Didn't make it.

I broke the entire undertail piece completely off the R1 practicing on Saturday. You know the black POS that sits under the rear subframe that holds the battery, Exup Servo, License plate etc. I somehow managed to rip the whole thing from the subframe and I didn't get it fixed until about 8pm, which was when the contest started and I still had 3 hours of trailering to do.

It's sucked. I heard they had Wink1100 up there, and a couple of other crazy good riders. I don't think I would have done well to be honest, everything felt forced on Saturday and I think that's partially why the rear cracked. I kept missing 3rd gear and hitting a false nuetral, bringing the front end slamming to the ground. I figured it was an Omen

or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode