Dealer vs. The Net - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Angry Dealer vs. The Net

All things being equal, I would prefer to support my local motorcycle dealers rather than order parts/accessories/apparel from elsewhere. But things are far from equal. I checked two local shops this week for prices on a front tire (Dunlop D207, street compound). The first priced it around $145 and would take a week to 10 days to get it in. The second shop quoted about the same price and could get it in around 4-5 days. I couldn't believe it. I've never paid more than around $115-120 for a front tire. I ordered one from TireExpress.com for $91 including shipping and it is supposed to be here within a couple of days.

My friend priced a rear tire yesterday at one of these dealers. At first the parts guy told him $200. This is for a Dunlop D204K (OEM for Superhawk). After a bit of talking, we got him to tell us that they get 30% off and it would actually be around $150. WTF?! Would he have told us the correct price if we hadn't pushed him?

I apologize for the length of this post. It's just that I can't justify spending so much more money to support dealers who obviously don't care. Maybe it's just my market and they're more concerned with cruiser and ATV sales. You'd be hard pressed to find a decent pair of gloves in a shop around here, much less jackets, boots, pants, exhaust, or even turn signals for a sportbike. I realize that they can't keep a lot of selection in inventory to keep down overhead. But they sure don't have to try to screw us on everything when we come in and try to give them business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 09:50 AM

I know that it seems like the dealers are trying to rip you off but they aren't at least for the most part. I was a partner in a dealership for about 6 months before I got smart and sold. It is a very cut throat business that is very hard to make money doing. Your dealer was smart to quote you a high price to begin with, you can always go down in price but you can't go up. Unfortunatley people feel the way you do and are turning to the net to by stuff. The problem is if to many people do that the dealers won't be able to stay in business and then we won't have anyone to service the bikes for warranty or any other repairs. On an average motorcycle sale a dealer makes between $200-500 which on a $10,000 motorcycle is pretty pathetic. So in order to make any money they count on parts and service. If you take the parts away you are left with just 1 money making dept to keep the whole business going. I hope that helps you understand why things are higher priced.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 08:28 PM

WMAC, that may be true at some dealers, but not all. Several dealers around here jack the price up cause they know many people don't care to shop around to save the money. They usually make their money off the uninformed or the "new to the sport" buyers. That is for parts, gear, or motorcycles.
The local car dealers do the same thing. I can drive to a podunk town just into south GA and save thousands. Did it when I bought my most present car, and went south to get my bike. My roomate went to Daytona to buy his F4i at a discount, when the local shop charged him full price, even though they had a deposit in hand and then told him they couldn't get the bike. And then he bought an extra $600 in gear. Some dealers just don't care. That is what tigerblades story sounds like, +30% on a tire! Only thing is, there are plenty of stupid people to keep paying the jacked up rates.
Hey, tiger, where did you say you bought your tire?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 11:27 PM
Dad

The tire business, cars or bikes, is run by whores. Unless your dealer is a MAJOR tire buyer, he buys at the same price as anybody off the street.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by funksouljon
TireExpress.com. It was like $80.95+$9 shipping. I can handle that just fine.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by funksouljon
WMAC, that may be true at some dealers, but not all. Several dealers around here jack the price up cause they know many people don't care to shop around to save the money. They usually make their money off the uninformed or the "new to the sport" buyers. That is for parts, gear, or motorcycles.
The local car dealers do the same thing. I can drive to a podunk town just into south GA and save thousands. Did it when I bought my most present car, and went south to get my bike. My roomate went to Daytona to buy his F4i at a discount, when the local shop charged him full price, even though they had a deposit in hand and then told him they couldn't get the bike. And then he bought an extra $600 in gear. Some dealers just don't care. That is what tigerblades story sounds like, +30% on a tire! Only thing is, there are plenty of stupid people to keep paying the jacked up rates.
Unfortunatley dealers like that give the rest of them a bad name. Around here they are the exception. I hope that around there they are to other wise I can understand why you would go else where.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 12:56 PM

Most of the dealers around here are pretty high priced. One in particular stands out in my mind. They have a great selection on everything, but you pay for it. I usually go there to see what I like and then order from the internet and save a lot of money.

I was on my way home last Friday from being out of town all week with work and stopped by the bike shop I bought my 9R at last year to see what they had. They had a brand new 01 9R for $8369.00. I was talking to the guy there and he told me that Kawasaki had factory to dealer incentives going on right now so they were able sell them at that price. I stopped by the dealership with the great selection on Saturday and they had the exact same 9R for $10,399. That's $200 over retail and they wouldn't budge off the price. When I talked to the salesman about it he said he could sell them all day for $10,399. I guess I couldn't argue with that. From his perspective I guess it makes more sense to make as much money as possible. Sooner or later though, they'll take advantage of enough people and start losing business.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 02:03 PM

I ride with, and am friends with, the parts manager for my local dealer. Whenever I find a price online I always give him a chance to try to match it. I'm not shy about it. I'll take in a printout from the web and say "This is what I can get it for. How close can you get?" Since I value my local dealer and recognize that someday I will need them there, and be glad that they are there, I will usually buy through them if they can get reasonably close. An example would be tires. When I showed him the MAW price for tires he called his supplier and actually had to bargain his supplier down just so he could get the tire for that price. In the end I paid about $15 more than MAW (no shipping, but I had to pay tax) and that's OK with me because I like not having to ride an extra hour to find a dealer.

My point is at least give the local guy a shot. Don't assume they won't bargain. If they won't budge, you can say you went out of your way to try to support them.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 02:33 PM

Kawboy and Birdman, I agree with you about let them try. The smaller shops around here, that is what I do.
The local Ducati shop I only go to if I have to. I would rather use the one when I am visiting my girlfriend in south Florida, or Jacksonville, or anywhere else for that matter. Took em 2.5 months to get the bolt and washer that bolts into the tail section bodywork up near the front.
We have a local "mega-shop". They sell Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Harley. Some of the guys there are cool, but..........I went into the store one day to buy 2 replacement visors cash in hand. After standing at the parts counter for 10 minutes, I grabbed the book and found the parts number. After another 10 minutes I just left. This is also the same shop that effed around with my roomie on the new F4i. Never, will I give them my money unless I am desperate. For bike stuff that is.

Last edited by funksouljon; 07-21-2001 at 12:40 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

I always give the dealer the first shot. I bought my last rear tire from one of the same shops since they were only a few dollars more than the online price. But $145 for the front? I paid the same dealer $120 for the same exact tire last time. They suddenly "forgot" that they don't have to charge me that much? Anyway, I'd still be waiting for the tire if I'd ordered from them. I got my tire from TireExpress today after ordering it last Thursday evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode