Is the color on Honda plastics painted or molded? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Is the color on Honda plastics painted or molded?

I was wondering because of my previous thread 'piss drunk roommate drops my bike'.

Everyone told me to have it restored to 'new' condition and avoid a repaint - Does this mean I can simply have the plastics ordered in their original state from a dealership (Are they molded in color, then have to add the decals)??? I am kind of lost on this. Should I order from Honda, or are aftermarket parts just as good. Or should I just have the scratches repainted. One of the gouges is really deep on the rear plastic - Do people that repair plastics have a filler they use for these deep imperfections, or do you pretty much just have to get a new piece. I have pretty good knowledge on how the process works on the automotive side, but as far as bikes and plastics go, I am pretty green.

Anyway, I hope his insurance covers it so I can have it done the right way. I will never get all that money out of him if it doesn't.

I am sure there are tons of people in here that have had to put new plastics on - let me know the process and if I can simply order them in color from Honda - My bike is a 1997 f3 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 06:19 AM

Thumbs up do it yourself, sort of

Hey,
Go to www.powersportspro.com and go to the "PartsFish", login and starting shopping.
If you run into confusion over which part numbers are for your color bike, give them a call.
I have ordered a bunch of stuff through them, they have been good to work with.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 06:28 AM

don't do it yourself!

Got to disagree with Cliffrock on this one. That other a**hole caused the damage, it's his (or his insurance company's) responsibility to fix it. Personally, I would settle for nothing less than OEM replacement parts.

My .02

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: do it yourself, sort of

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffrock
Hey,
Go to www.powersportspro.com and go to the "PartsFish", login and starting shopping.
If you run into confusion over which part numbers are for your color bike, give them a call.
I have ordered a bunch of stuff through them, they have been good to work with.
Man, that shit is not cheap. It says it is Honda OEM replacement which is cool. I noticed that their is three types of cowls and other body parts (obviously the color scheme of the bike) - Do you know if the decals come already applied to the parts - that would be great. - My roommate has no idea how much these things cost - he is def. going to shit. - maybe he will learn not to push a bike around when he is piss drunk. - He better do a little lying to the insurance company. - The OEM parts are close to 700 dollars.

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:06 AM

I know there is a company, Maybe Ron Ayres motorsports??

that sells factory plastic much cheaper than the shop
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:24 AM

If you get OEM plastic it will come painted and with decals.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:46 AM
elo

Arrow OEM Bodywork

The bodywork is molded plastic in in black, then painted. If you go through insurance to get them fixed, there are a few things you can do: 1) have them arrange to replace exactly what was messed up 2) have them cut you a check in the amount of the exact replacement and then find a better deal on OEM stuff. 3) have them cut you a check in the amount of an exact replacement and then use the $$$ to buy different stuff. I'm not sure, but some aftermarket stuff may be cheaper than OEM.

Personally, I wouldn't have it repainted. It's a pain in the ass, expensive, and then you've got chipping and scratching to deal with, like the front of a car. Also, you'd probably want to have everything repainted, not just the one side, b/c exact matching is so difficult. I wouldn't repaint unless I were going for a custom paint job.

-Erica

(honda nut, you're right. I was wrong about what color the plastics are. I've edited in the correct info. Thanks)

Last edited by elo; 07-13-2001 at 11:00 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 09:21 AM

Oh, Oh, oh.

By ALL MEANS, HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE. Don't let anyone weasle their way out of this, that is TOTAL crap:angry: :angry:

I was saying if your ex-friend was gonna buy you some parts, then go get them.

But F that guy, make him pay, sheez, kick it around and get it totaled!! and then pin it on him, he was drunk what hell does he know!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 09:22 AM

Exclamation We need an update

So what is the status your situation????
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 10:51 AM

Exclamation

HONDA plastic IS black with paint and/or stickers on it.

HERE is where to get OEM plastics WITH the color scheme JUST LIKE from Honda for less money.

http://www.ronayersmotorsports.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode