how do I break-in tires (IE edges) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy how do I break-in tires (IE edges)

I did the ol' racer weave for about a 1/2 a mile and got rid of the sclione<sp> in the middle 2/3 of the tires but when I leaned it over a deicent amount the rear broke loose and i wasen't on the throttle too much. how do I break-in/wear off the sclione of the last 1.5-2.0 inches of the tires tires. without high-sideing my new bike.

thanks,
Kyle M.

Kyle M. Wilsonville, OR

"Big Dick's HARDCORE Road Racing School, where we drag more than our knees."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 08:00 PM

Dunno what tire you have, but I know on mine it sure as hell took more then a half mile to wear the composite out. Just a heads up that just because it isnt obviously visible doesnt mean its all gone.

As for the sides, I just kept taking corners and gradually leaning more and more over time to get them fully ready.

Dan
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 05:50 AM
Pete

I concur with Crius, 1/2 mile hasn't done crap for scrubbing in your tires; it should be more like 50-100 miles. Tires are porous, and it takes distance and speed to remove the mould-release compound from the tire.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 05:57 AM

Ya, i was told it takes approx. 75-100 miles to fully break in (cure) a tire. You need to run the tire through heat cycles, you heat up the tire, then let it sit until it fully cools.....etc. As far as the sides...just ride the bike normally, dont go banzai on corners. Don't just go flying into a corner at full lean. Throttle control...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 06:39 AM

I disagree

The pros take only one warm up lap then go balls out. You should be able to scrub the tires in well under 50 miles
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 06:41 AM
Squidwannabe

So you got the R1 ? Cool. Ride it safe.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 06:42 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by marshall
I disagree

The pros take only one warm up lap then go balls out. You should be able to scrub the tires in well under 50 miles
Depends on the tire I guess. Plus tire warmers might account for some of the break in period.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by marshall
I disagree

Or you could just pour some gasoline on them, light it for a minute or so, and then put it out real quick.

Seriously, track tires are made of different compounds than street tires, and you don't know how they have been prepped prior to the track. I'm not an expert on tires, but the general rule seems to be abour 100 miles or so. Unless you KNOW different, I wouldn't push it.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Yep got the R1 $9500 + tax

They are the stock Dunlop ZR17's. I checked the air pressure the rear was at 42psi. The front was at 39psi. I dropped them both to 36psi and I did about 250miles today. They are starting to feel more grippy. Thanks for the responces.

Kyle M.

Kyle M. Wilsonville, OR

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

think I should get my name changed to The_R1_Kid? So people don't think I'm some wussie honda rider anymore.

Kyle M. Wilsonville, OR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode