Dumb Bike Salesman! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Angry Dumb Bike Salesman!

Well, my girlfriend has decided she no longer likes riding on the back of the 9 and wants to learn to ride herself. I think that's pretty cool so I'm trying to get her in the MSF class as soon as there is an opening.

We decided to stop by one of the local dealerships in town here to look at some bikes for her. This dealership is expensive and I don't particularly like the people who work there but they have a great selection of bikes, gear, parts and accessories so I like to just go there and check things out in person before I buy it from somewhere else. Anyway, we are looking at bikes and I am showing her a couple of Kawi's (250R and 500R) and she seems to like them. I go over to check out the helmets and leave her to look at the bikes. I come back about 10 minutes later and one of the salesman has convinced her that a brand new 6R is the perfect choice for her and that she will have no problem riding it. Now keep in mind that she has never ridden a motorcycle before in her life. She looks at me and starts telling me that she thinks she should get a new 6R. She says the salesman told her she would be ok if "she just goes slow for a while". My plan was for her to get a used 250 or 500, ride it for a season or two, then, if she's ready get a 600. I look at the salesman and tell him he shouldn't be recommending bikes like that to new riders. He tells me I must be one of those start out small, waste a lot of money on several bikes, then get the one you want people and I tell him yeap, because unlike you I care what happens to her.

After that we just left. Luckily, I was able to convince my girlfriend that the salesman was a bumbling idiot and that I don't think she should start out on a new 600.

So....Anybody else ever run into stuff like this? By the way, I don't put all bike salesman in the same category as this guy, I know quite a few who are serious enthusiats and care about the sport and those who represent it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 01:57 PM

Exclamation

First of all, I want to say "right on" to you for starting your girlfriend on a smaller used bike. I too am one of those people who has been around motorcycles long enough to know that putting a new/inexperienced rider on a fast new bike is a very expensive and dangerous thing to do.

I had a similar experience at a bike shop just a couple weeks ago. I was "bench-racing" with some local guys and a couple of the salesmen at a nearby shop, when a rather short (aprox 5' 3") middle-aged guy walks in. He immediately walks over to a brand new CBR 929 and tries to sit on it. Needless to say, it was all he could do to get both feet to touch down. He was bouncing back and forth from one foot to the other on the very tips of his toes (like a ballet dancer). We all see this and realize that this guy must be out of his mind if he thinks that he could ever SAFELY ride a 929. A young salesman comes out from behind the counter and goes over to talk to the guy...so we all listen in on the conversation. The guy tells the salesman that he wants to pay cash for a bike and he likes this one (a red & black 929). Well, the young salesman, smelling his commission, tells the guy that they can lower the suspension 1" and he'll be fine. The guy agrees, hands his credit card to the salesman, and continues his balancing act on the new 929 he's about to own. After watching all of this go down I can't resist striking up a conversation with the guy. I ask him how long he's been riding. He says "I just got my permit yesterday and this is my first bike!" My jaw hit the floor, as did everybody else's. We spent the next 2 hours explaining to this guy why that bike is not right for a beginner and for someone his size. Eventually, he sided with us and decided to look at a "smaller" bike. He thanked us for being so honest and helpful and decided not to get the 929.

Once he left we called the new salesman over and sat him down. Needless to say, he was a little pissed off at us for ruining "his" sale. But once we explained to him the moral obligation he has as a salesman to ensure the safety of the people he's selling bikes to he began to understand why we did what we did. He didn't want that guy to get severely hurt, or worse, die! But he had let his greed get the better of him. And unfortunately, I think this is too often the case with salespeople. They put the $$$ before the person.

Last edited by slaintedan; 07-10-2001 at 02:04 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 02:15 PM

Well, my first ride was a RF900 Suzuki, sport/tour, but 900 none the less. Probably way too much ride, but I was insistent since I would be carryin ga passenger. The entire sales staff was pretty set against this purchase. Now I love them all because of their concern for my safety instead of their paychecks.

I went to a couple of other dealers before I bought and none of them tried to dissuade me in the slightest.....JERKS!!

P

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 02:20 PM

All of the Salesmen I ran into were like that too.

First, Kawboy, I agree with slaintedan! Right on for tlaking her down and starting her small. Your reasons are the same reasons I won't ride my GF on the back of my bike when I go running on rides in the local twisties. I don't want to ever have to put myself in the situation where I have to ride to the hospital with her in the same Ambulance. I care about her to much to put her and her family through that.

Second
I asked everyone's opinion on here beofre I even looked at a bike. I knew I wanted a 600, but I've seen some cool 500s. Heck I'm even thinking about getting a 125 or 250 dirt bike, just for fun. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever buy a new car again.

Good luck, and Get her in the MSF course ASAP! Women love those coruses! Out of 12 in my class, 8 were female.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
First of all, I want to say "right on" to you for starting your girlfriend on a smaller used bike. I too am one of those people who has been around motorcycles long enough to know that putting a new/inexperienced rider on a fast new bike is a very expensive and dangerous thing to do.

I had a similar experience at a bike shop just a couple weeks ago. I was "bench-racing" with some local guys and a couple of the salesmen at a nearby shop, when a rather short (aprox 5' 3") middle-aged guy walks in. He immediately walks over to a brand new CBR 929 and tries to sit on it. Needless to say, it was all he could do to get both feet to touch down. He was bouncing back and forth from one foot to the other on the very tips of his toes (like a ballet dancer). We all see this and realize that this guy must be out of his mind if he thinks that he could ever SAFELY ride a 929. A young salesman comes out from behind the counter and goes over to talk to the guy...so we all listen in on the conversation. The guy tells the salesman that he wants to pay cash for a bike and he likes this one (a red & black 929). Well, the young salesman, smelling his commission, tells the guy that they can lower the suspension 1" and he'll be fine. The guy agrees, hands his credit card to the salesman, and continues his balancing act on the new 929 he's about to own. After watching all of this go down I can't resist striking up a conversation with the guy. I ask him how long he's been riding. He says "I just got my permit yesterday and this is my first bike!" My jaw hit the floor, as did everybody else's. We spent the next 2 hours explaining to this guy why that bike is not right for a beginner and for someone his size. Eventually, he sided with us and decided to look at a "smaller" bike. He thanked us for being so honest and helpful and decided not to get the 929.

Once he left we called the new salesman over and sat him down. Needless to say, he was a little pissed off at us for ruining "his" sale. But once we explained to him the moral obligation he has as a salesman to ensure the safety of the people he's selling bikes to he began to understand why we did what we did. He didn't want that guy to get severely hurt, or worse, die! But he had let his greed get the better of him. And unfortunately, I think this is too often the case with salespeople. They put the $$$ before the person.
You got it bro! It was obvious the salesman was only concerned with the money.

Ya know, I have always wondered why new riders buy a large bike they have no business being on. They go into a dealership and take the advice of a salesman who they think knows best. I imagine this is the case with the vast majority of new riders who have never been around bikes or people who have bikes.

I'm glad you were there in the shop that day, you may have saved that guys life!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 02:50 PM

I'm totally in favour of starting off on a smaller bike, especially the Kawi 250 & 500 twins which are narrow and nicely balanced as opposed to a somewhat porkier and top heavy 600R. As far as salesemen, I know a guy who had trouble finding a dealer that would sell him a Blackbird XX, since he had only ridden a GS 350 (or something or other) for a year before trying to buy the CBR. He finally ended buying a low mile one from a private seller. I know this is usually not the case though, because I can remember looking and dreaming at 900RR's, when I was 16, and the salesman trying to sell me on it. If it wasn't for the cost of insurance, which was like $4500, I might have been riding one. I was a pretty wild teenager back then and had a fondness to drink quite a bit (i'm Irish-Canadian,what can i say!) whether I was driving or not and I think I would certainly have been killed... on any bike, let alone a 'Blade.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 03:15 PM

Talking

First off, you're a good man, Kawboy.

Second, I know a couple of ladies who want to learn on my R6. I'm like "hell no!" Of course they understand that I don't want them (or my baby ) to get hurt on a bike thats too big for them, but, there's still that "cool factor." They both have access to a early '80s Honda tourer (400-500cc I think) and luckily they know the difference of being smart and riding a crappy bike, and being dumb and dead.
I wish more new riders had the same common sense as these ladies. (I never thought I'd say that)

Ride Safe
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 06:02 AM

Repeat sales, now there is a concept the salesman should learn! Of course this is coming from a guy who will probably end up with a new f4i as a first bike. What can I say it is just soooo beautiful. Hopefully a lot of respect for the bike will keep me safe.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 07:36 AM

Lightbulb

Yes, it does sound like the salesman was out for the money. Thats how he makes his living; don't blame him for that. Instead, congratulate yourself on being more informed than he is or will be. I wonder what he rides...IF he rides....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:38 AM

Kawboy, Let me guess your were at Gio's. I purchase 2 bikes from them in the 80's and 90's. I only bought there because they had the left over I wanted at the right price, an 81 GS650 and a 87 concours.

I agree with your approach for several reasons. I agree a mature rider can learn on a 600 or even a 750 but what if she decides riding is not for her, has trouble with the weight and drops the bike etc. I started on a 90, then a 450 then a 650 and 1000. any sane person will take at least a season or 2 to out grow a good 500 sportbike, like an EX500. A 250 may or may not be too small only she can know that. at any rate the risks and costs are much lower starting off small. As for repeat sales, they create brand loylty and a whole host of other things manufactures need. Most saleman can never think beyond a commission!!

Rick
NCVFR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode