SQUIDFEST 2001 at Deal's Gap this past weekend! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Angry SQUIDFEST 2001 at Deal's Gap this past weekend!

First I'd like to say that it was nice meeting Paul (748 abuser) and John (RCjohn) at TWO this past week. Great bunch of guys....but fellas, did you guys do any riding?

Ok now the story:

If you're not gonna wear leathers when you're riding the Gap, for crying out loud, at least wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans!

So me and some pals headed to TWO in Suches, GA on the 3rd and on the 5th we rode up to the Gap and it was some of the best riding I've seen up there...no rain, no law, no SQUIDS! Then on Sautrday the 7th, we decided to ride back up there to see what was going on and man what a SQUIDFEST! Guys wearing tank-tops and shorts and some with their girlfriends on the back who were also wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts...what the heck?

Then there were these guys up there with their WERA racing bikes with no lights or blinkers,and racing to the Overlook and back to CoT!! Some these "WERA guys" would sit in grass in some of the curves and wait until a bike came pass them and then wait for few seconds until the bike was long gone and then jump on their bike and see if they could catch them before they made it to CoT or the Overlook! What is that about? Why?

Anyway, I'll never go back up to the Gap on a weekend because it's too dangerous and way to many SQUIDS. Deal's Gap has become the ultimate SQUID attraction on the weekends. One guy referred to it as "No Big Deal, Deal's Gap" That is just about the truth.

Please, if you're a SQUID then stay at Deal's Gap because I'll be on the other fine curvey roads that North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia have to offer.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox. Anyone else ride the NC, TN or GA area roads last week or weekend?

PEACE!!

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 09:10 PM

HUS,
I'm still trying to get down to that area last 1/2 week of July/1st 1/2 week of August. If we do hit Deal's Gap, I'd much rather do it during the week for exactly some of the reasons you mentioned. Weekend before and after will probably we travel time down there and back anyway (going to ride, not trailer from central Missouri). Let me know if you can come up that week!
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 05:38 AM
Pete

Re: SQUIDFEST 2001 at Deal's Gap this past weekend!

Quote:
Originally posted by HUS
Some these "WERA guys" would sit in grass in some of the curves and wait until a bike came pass them and then wait for few seconds until the bike was long gone and then jump on their bike and see if they could catch them before they made it to CoT or the Overlook! What is that about? Why?

A.K.A. "poaching."

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerblade
HUS,
I'm still trying to get down to that area last 1/2 week of July/1st 1/2 week of August. If we do hit Deal's Gap, I'd much rather do it during the week for exactly some of the reasons you mentioned. Weekend before and after will probably we travel time down there and back anyway (going to ride, not trailer from central Missouri). Let me know if you can come up that week!
tigerrazz,

You're going to "ride" to GA/NC? Where do you plan on staying?

Brad,

Did you get the rear-end fixed on your bike?

Yes, John and I rode. Mostly on Hwy129 and Hwy60. Had sort of a shitty ride. We made the mistake of going into Helen, GA. Traffic was terrible and beyond description. Our bikes were overheating in a big way, so we headed south to Cleveland and back up 129. To top off the ride, we were held-up by a couple of major asshole Harley riders on 19 for about 5 miles through some of the best turns. They finally pissed me off enough that I blew past in a turn. I've never really had a problem with Harley riders before, but now, I think their big jackasses. We had problems with the cruisers all day. Anyway, we had a great time at T.W.O. and managed to drink alot of beer and talk to some good people. The food was good, even though John's potato was served "al'dente." I look forward to going back.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 06:40 AM

Re: Re: SQUIDFEST 2001 at Deal's Gap this past weekend!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
A.K.A. "poaching."
GUILTY!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 06:52 AM

hey abuser, which way do you guys usually take from t.w.o to get to deals gap?
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gixxerdude
hey abuser, which way do you guys usually take from t.w.o to get to deals gap?
I've never ridden "from" T.W.O. to the gap. I always trailer up from Atlanta, and take 129 all the way up. Where are you in GA?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:16 AM

Re: Re: SQUIDFEST 2001 at Deal's Gap this past weekend!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

A.K.A. "poaching."
I read of people doing that, although I personally have never seen it done here in Southern Cal.

This maybe fun to those who do it but I think people who do this are simply trying to make up for some deficiency in their riding. I mean, what are they trying to prove? How immature is that? They really should go to the track to "prove" their skills. That's were you can really see who's the fastest and who are the poseurs.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:29 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by 748 abuser

tigerrazz,

You're going to "ride" to GA/NC? Where do you plan on staying?
We rode down there in '98; I'm sure we can do it again. Don't have a trailer right now (plus we're just hardcore ). Plan? Uh.... We don't need no stinking plan...
Quote:

We made the mistake of going into Helen, GA.
Is that the touristy town with all the Scandanavian-looking buildings?
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:56 AM

I live a little north of alpharetta, around hwy 9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode