hard braking - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Question hard braking

to get into a turn hard and fast do you guys go in with heavy rear braking or do you guys load the front before entering the turn?

I prefer to load the rear it slows me down faster and I can hit the gas earlier while in the turn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 06:15 PM

70 percent of your braking comes from the front brake. Entering a turn you should apply braking (front and rear) before entering the turn, then roll on the throttle as you look thru the turn. Have you taken the MSF course yet? The course teaches you how to enter a turn and emergency braking in a turn. Many sportbike riders I know use the rear brake very little. Just my 2 cents. Tom
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

IMO i think that by hiting the rear brake you slow down faster and you don't make the bike dive (dip) to much but with the rear you might get some rear tire sliding. oh and I have taken the class about 6 years ago

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 07:04 PM

I highly suggest you buy and read (2 or 3 times) Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II (2) here it is on ebay for $10.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1163938672
untill then listen to tbozeman.

Kyle M. Wilsonville, OR

"Big Dick's HARDCORE Road Racing School, where we drag more than our knees."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DiablolusDCLXVI
IMO i think that by hiting the rear brake you slow down faster and you don't make the bike dive (dip) to much but with the rear you might get some rear tire sliding. oh and I have taken the class about 6 years ago
I get your point on this and after using both front and rear braking before the entrance of the turn, I do use the rear brake to "slow my progress" while in the turn if I think I've gone a little too fast, but the lean of the bike usually gets me thru in good shape, sometimes close to scraping the pegs though! But mostly the rear brake comes in handy when stopped at a light or Stop sign on a hill or slope. Other than that, the rear brake is not much help to me. I once locked the rear brake, then released it, and paid a price for it (cuts, bruises, and Ego damage). ride safe.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 07:46 PM

Solely relying on the rear brake is just asking for a highside. There's ongoing debate about this in other threads but especially for hard braking, don't be afraid to use the front.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 07:49 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by The_CB_Kid
I highly suggest you buy and read (2 or 3 times) Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II (2) here it is on ebay for $10.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1163938672
untill then listen to tbozeman.
Thanks much, CB Kid.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 07:54 PM

Rear brake?

As was mentioned before, the rear brake is kinda handy to hold the bike still on an incline. I use mine to hold the bike still while lighting a smoke, otherwise, unless a person is skilled enough to use the rear to intentionally slide the rear of the bike to set up for a tighter line through a curve (watch the guys on Speedvision) the rear brake will get ya into more trouble than it is worth.

Here is how that can happen. The front brakes and tires on today's sport bikes are so darn good you can get up to 100% of braking just from the front. That is how stoppies are possible. When so much braking is being done with the front, added to the weight transfer to the front through a short wheelbase ya end up with nearly (or actually) 100% of the bike/rider weight on the front. That leaves little or nothing on the rear. Using the rear brake under these conditions is downright dangerous since locking up the rear is so easy without much weight on the tire. Ya all know what happens then.... ya get sideways.... and if ya let off the brakes ya end up high siding the thing when the rear tire regains traction.

Moral of the whole story? Forget the rear and practice, practice, practice!!! using the front to it's full potential. If ya want to use the rear in wet weather the same thing goes... most of the weight is going to go to the front making the rear end light... and now not only is the rear end light but it is on a slippery surface making it that much easier to lock up. Wet weather? SLOW DOWN!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:04 AM

Hey Mongrel..great post, thanks.
Quick question, if you are in the turn, rolling on and the back tire strats to either slip or spin what is the best way of avoiding a high side. do you keep on the gas, what do you do when the tire stops spinning/slipping and engages, how do you stop doing a hi side?
Thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:23 AM

Arrow

Don't chop the throttle, that's for sure! Your tire will slow down and hook up and spit you into the wild blue yonder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode