Behind the cage - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 03:29 PM
Unit220

Behind the cage

When driving in traffic, which side of the car do you ride behind? I ask because I have scene a growing number of people that use both side and not to mention the middle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 03:32 PM
Pete

Generally speaking, the left side, where they can see me in both the rearview mirror and the driver's side sideview mirror.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 04:24 PM
elo

Ditto

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
Generally speaking, the left side, where they can see me in both the rearview mirror and the driver's side sideview mirror.
Preferably on the left, sometimes in the center, never on the right.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 07:10 PM

depends on the situation.

Are you using the cage as a shield? e.g., can you tighten the gap between the cage ahead before that green-light intersection where the zombie in the minivan wants to take a left into your right-of-way?

In that case I will hang to the left-of-center so that I can see the zombie and then drift right and use the cage as a shield while simultaneously giving myself a bit of room to squirt away if necessary. Perhaps my drift will also alert the cager I'm following that I am in fact following him (he'll see my headlight drift across his rearview). I'll keep an eye on both cagers as much as necessary.

Another case: Entering a blind right-hander. I keep to the right of center and allow the cage ahead to absorb the impact of any zombies that are drifting over the lane marker. If you're to the right-of-center it's a bit more likely that your view of the road ahead (as seen thought the cage in front of you) won't be blocked by the A-pillar of the cage, as it might be if you remain left-of-center through the turn.

Don't forget what Animal Mother said in the movie 'Full Metal Jacket':

Better you than me.

The whole lane is yours, as is the zombie ahead of you. Use both in good health and good forturne.

-Metal
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 07:41 PM

Not so much a matter of which side, but how far back. I like the MSF rule of so many seconds back for reaction time. If everybody rode a bike--then they would drive better in their cars when they are near MC's. If I have to be close to the cagers, I position myself in their mirrors and never ride on the blind side (on the right) longer than I have to. And I tap the rear brake or the front when they get too close behind me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 07:03 AM

When I took the test to get my MC license, there was a question about this. They say you should never ride in the middle due to the oil/etc that cars leak.

I always ride on the left or right, but no real preference on which.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 07:46 AM

Lightbulb

Like posted earlier I try to stay on the left to stay fully visable and keep lane control.

I do go to the right on occasion when taking a sweeper to the left to prevent my head from going over the centerline. Or when next to an 18-wheeler I go to the right of the lane. Sometime I ride in the center on the highway.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 10:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Left, with high beams on aim directly in the sideview so there's no question I'm there.

That never varies but the distance might. By that I mean I may drift back or forward if I'm in the left lane (Always) to avoid being in the blind spot of the Mc Donalds-eating, oblivious, Metro meathead in the right lane.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1
avoid being in the blind spot of the Mc Donalds-eating, oblivious, Metro meathead in the right lane.
I'm shocked, Chris. You forgot the worst offender of them all... "cellphone users."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 11:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by 748 abuser

I'm shocked, Chris. You forgot the worst offender of them all... "cellphone users."
That's cos I just shoot them

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode