Gsx-r750? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Gsx-r750?

Hey guys...this board is great!! I love this board. A friend of mines at work referred me to it....thank Charlie...Anyways, I have another question I would like some feedback on...I am going to take the MSF classes before I get a bike....I hear they provide the basics needed...My question is after completing the classes, should I invest in a Gixxer 750? I am asking b/c I don' t want to get a 600cc and 3-4 months later want something bigger. Would the Gixxer 750 be too much for a newbie such as myself?...advice again anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 09:11 AM

Re: Gsx-r750?

Quote:
Originally posted by R6Lover
My question is after completing the classes, should I invest in a Gixxer 750? I am asking b/c I don' t want to get a 600cc and 3-4 months later want something bigger. Would the Gixxer 750 be too much for a newbie such as myself?...advice again anyone?
Glad to have you here. My opinion- you are taking the right approach by taking the MSF class first and starting on a smaller dispacement bike. IMO, yes the GSXR is too much, in fact unless you are VERY restrained and are used to using alot of common sense on a daily basis you can get yourself in trouble on any sportbike. All new 600's have more power than any new rider should need. They are ALL potent performers. You may want to consider a used (5-7 year old) 600 until you get the hang of it. This question gets asked alot, so search around on this topic and you'll get more info than you bargained for. Bottom line- get what you want and be smart about how you ride it.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 09:56 AM
Pete

What Stake said, especially the part about considering an older 600.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 10:22 AM

Agree with the previous suggestions with regard to one question.

Is this your first motorcycle ever or just your first sport bike?

I have been riding on two wheels in some form for a very long time. A month ago I got my 2001 GSX-R750. It is my first sportbike but not my first street bike. A friend has a 2000 Nija ZX6R that I have ridden and it made me love my bike. I am *so* glad I did not get the 600.

If you have ridden on the street before for good amount of time (1 year or more) then you should not have any problems with the GSXR.

Keep in mind that you will die just as fast on the 600 as you will on the 750. The 600 is not a starter bike. I hear the Bandit 600 is good for starters, but I also have a friend that can ride a wheelie through the first three gears with his.

The GSXR750 is not for someone who might have throttle/clutch manipulation issues. It is very responsive and will put you on your ass with a thought. Even the R1 torque monster has smoother power delivery.

That's my $1.50.
EW
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 11:25 AM

Lightbulb

gsxr750? booo get a TL1000S
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

On the street, a 600 in the right hands will have no problem keeping up with a 750 Gixxer if that's your concern. Always better to start out smaller and move up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpdawggydawg
dont worry too much.

my first bike is the gixxer 1000. they aint different form the 600. the dealer was cool he shows u how to shift the bike and stuff
Yeah, listen to Pimpsquiddypup. I hear his riding skills are second only to his mastery of the English language.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

thanks dudes and dudettes......I really appreciate the advice...I just wanted to know...The research I have been doing supports you guys claim....the Gixxers are monsters....I am not trying to kill myself...although that can happen on a 600 also...I am really leaning towards a used R6....is anyone in the Southeast(SC, NC, VA) trying to sell theirs?.....I am interested......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode