I passed my drivers test today. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Talking I passed my drivers test today.

It was fairly simple. Go straight, into driving two small circles then straight. Then weave the cones, two more small circles and more cones. A harley did it before me, and he put his foot down a couple times, as did I, but the tester was being kind and we both passed. Then we had to drive down the street, turn around in the parking lot and go back to the DMV lot and park. The End. So if your going for a test, test yourself on small circles, which just about locks the steering to one side. Any one else had a test recently that was any different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 05:54 PM

Red face riding test

It has been a few years, but when I took my test it consisted of three right turns to make one block and then back into the D.M.V. parking lot. As far as I know it hasn't changed any since I took my test.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 06:19 PM

Talking conga-rats!!!

Right on sweety. Enjoy the roads, but be safe.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 07:14 AM

Thumbs up

It's a lot easier than it used to be. I had to do a 20 ft. rolling stoppie and a 4-gear standup wheelie to pass. Sheesh.

Have fun; be safe!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 08:25 AM

You guys really had tests that easy??? I had to do this whole ride between the lines in the middle of the road, swerve in a certain distence at 20, stop within a certain distence, and stop without putting my feet down. Sheeesh!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 10:06 AM

Unhappy Motorcycle Skills test in VT

In Vermont the test consists of:

Start from a stop, go about 40 feet and turn left while inside a coupld of lines painted on the pavement, take another left wherever you want, and stop with your front tire inside a 2' by 2' box without skidding the tire.

Start from a stop, and weave through 5 cones places 1' off center and 8' apart. After that you take a right turn, and you have to do a U-turn within a box. Small box for less than 500cc, 2 feet extra width for 500cc and up. Then you stop after you complete the U-turn.

You go to one end of the course, and line up at a line. The instructor tells you when to go, and you have to go through a timing box at 12-20 MPH and stop within 9 feet. Each foot over that you go you loose a point.

You line up at the same line, and you have to go 12-20 again and swerve either left or right around a 5 foot wide line 9 feet from the end timing line, depending on which direction the instructor tells you to do.

You get 5 points for putting your foot down, 3 point for hitting/missing a cone, 5 points for going out of the white lines on the pavement, etc. 10 points you pass, 11 you fail.

Amazingly I didn't get any points. For the cruiser bikes it's prety easy as they have wider steering locks. On sport bikes though, it's a pain especially for the cone weave. I just practiced the cone weave and U-turn 2 days before the test, and I was fine.

It really does seem to be a good indicator of skill. The people that weren't familiar with their bike didn't pass. The people that were familiar with what their bikes could do passed. You could easily tell which people needed to ride more than 100 miles before taking the test.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 10:40 AM

Yeah, here in Kansas it was pretty much the same thing. I am glad that I was smart enough to borrow a friends cruiser instead of a sport bike. The only bad thing was is I slid past the stop line because my fronts locked up in the SAND that was there. 4 other people layed over on the count of it. It was a pretty good show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode