Using neutral or the lutch for cruising in sport bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Using neutral or the lutch for cruising in sport bike

Hey Everyone,

I have a newbie question and hope you guys can give me some advise.

Before buying my F4i, my friend who has a BMW cruiser (a la 007) warned me that sportbikes are difficult to ride slow. I fould that out after getting my bike See, the gears in my bike is so closely spaced that when you just want to coast, the engine/transmission just drag you down no matter which gear you're in. If I want to say, cruise around town at 25-45 mph, I find myself using clutch to disengage the engine drag a lot. Is this practive harmful to the clutch plates? Would it cause premature wear?

Also, If say if I want to coast down a not-too-steep hill, should I pull the clutch, shift to 6th gear, or shift to neutral? If the hill isn't steep enough, the 6th gear will slow the bike down too.

I know I shouldn't expect to drive my bike like a cruiser, but with a little re-adjusting on my riding style, I should be comfortable soon.

How do you normally drive if you don't RACE around town? but just want to pleasure ride your sportbike

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:00 AM

Question

Sheesh,

Don't know what to tell you, Speed, as your post is a little confusing. I really don't understand what you're asking.

As for riding around town, I don't have a specific "technique." I just ride it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:06 AM

When riding around town, dont use the clutch to moderate your speed. Just find a gear where you are around 3 to 5000 rpm, and hold the throttle steady to maintain that speed. Same thing you do in a car or anything else.

When going down hills, same thing

Hope this helps

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:06 AM
Pete

Sounds to me like you are getting your information from the wrong source. You should have no problems whatsoever cruising at low speeds around town on that bike. I must say that your question is a bit confusing, but could it be that you are just "shift-happy," i.e., wanting to shift into a higher gear when it's really not necessary? I think the best corrective measure would be for you to have a more-experienced sportbike rider give you some personal instruction.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Question Sorry about the confusion

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the confusion. I guess I was trying to ask too many questions in a single thread.

My question is:

1. Is it normal to disengage the clutch often to maintain coasting speed?

2. By pulling on the clutch often, will this cause premature clutch wear?

3. Going down hill at a steady speed, should I use the highest gear possible to reduce engine drag?

I drive a stick shift cage, but the engine drag is much less pronounced than my F4i at any gear.

Hope this clarifies my original post a bit better.

Speed
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:57 AM

As far as i know, it is better to let the engine do the braking for you. If you are going down hill and the engine braking is too much, just upshift and let the engine control your speed. Of course you can use the clutch, but try not to hold it in all the time (i dont know if it really harms the clutch, but its a bad riding habit)

And NEVER shift your bike into Neutral while coasting. You might need to suddenly power out of a cars way or other obstacle.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 10:35 AM
Pete

Re: Sorry about the confusion

1. Is it normal to disengage the clutch often to maintain coasting speed?

No, it's not normal.

2. By pulling on the clutch often, will this cause premature clutch wear?

If you pull it in often, it stands to reason that you'll be letting it out often, and that's what will cause the most wear.

3. Going down hill at a steady speed, should I use the highest gear possible to reduce engine drag?

No.

Reread milzie's post, and do what he says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode