Girlfriend dropped my SV650... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Girlfriend dropped my SV650...

I took my girlfriend to an empty parking lot last night to let her practice her riding, as she just got MSF certified and fully licensed. I have a 2000 SV650 (that's for sale), and a Hayabusa. She literally aced her MSF class, with no hiccups whatsoever. She rocked.

We get to the parking lot, and I show her around the SV (a world different than the 125cc Honda she used for MSF), and tell her she should probably just start by using the friction zone to get rolling, then slowly circling the parking lot, maybe upshifting to 2nd if she sees fit. No big deal.

She starts off perfectly, then slowly starts cruising around the perimeter of this parking lot, all in 1st gear. I watch her and give her the thumbs up a few times, because she's handling the bike very well. She upshifts to 2nd, then practices a downshift back to 1st. All's well in practiceland.

I turn around to get something out of my 'Busa trunk when I hear the unthinkable: a loud crash followed by some residual scraping. Oh. My. God. I turn to see my girlfriend lying on the ground, the bike prone on its left side. Oh. My. God. I run over there, pick her up, and ask if she's OK. She is. Her hands have a few scrapes on them, her jeans are ripped at the knee, and her courdoroy jacket has a rip at the elbow, but otherwise, she's just fine. She's freaked, saying "I'm sorry" roughly eleven bajillion times, but she's more or less fine. She points to the bike.

The bike.

I pick up my SV, the first real bike I owned. The gas tank is scraped and dented -- needs replacing. The tach/speedo assembly is cracked -- the tach, if not the whole thing, needs replacing. Left turn signal cracked -- need a new one. Left rearview mirror scraped to hell -- need a new one. Shifter functional, but the rubber part you actually shift with has broken off, leaving just a straight piece of plastic with no nub -- needs replacing. A few scratches around the edge of the headlight -- that metal ring will need to be replaced. Bar end scratched -- needs to be replaced.

D'oh.

I asked what happened and she said she was just turning in first gear, and she went to slow down. Instead of using both front and rear brakes, as she was taught, she, for some reason, grabbed a LOT of the front brake, which in turn caused the front wheel to skid a bit, then she lowsided. She's more angry at herself for grabbing the front brake so hard. She just made a newbie mistake.

The good thing here is that she's OK; that was my biggest fear and main concern. The bummer here is that the bike was almost sold to a prospect, and now I have to take it to the dealer for minor repairs.

So yeah, that's my story. No coincidence that all this happened on a Monday.

Anyone here have any ideas how much it will cost to repair the damage listed above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 06:42 AM

Scraped hands? Why wasn't she wearing gloves?

Bummer to hear about the bike.

Does she have two black eyes?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 06:50 AM

Lightbulb

I was told to use only the rear brake below 20mph
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 07:27 AM
elo

I've done practically all of the same things. It's so different going from a 125 to a "real" bike. I'm glad she's okay, and that was very cool of you to worry about her well being first. I hope she knows how lucky she is to have someone like you. (and tell her to ALWAYS wear gloves, even in practice!!!!)

Check out SVrider.com for parts. In the classified section, there are dozens of people selling off the stock parts because they have converted their bikes to track only. I can almost promise you you'll find everything you need for less than the dealer would charge.

Oh, and tell your g/f to not worry, and get right back on. Her story is in keeping with just about every woman I've ever talked to who just started riding. The trick is to just log miles, and quicker than she thinks, she'll be riding like a pro.

Some great women's biker sites:
http://www.ladybiker.com
http://www.just2ride.com
http://www.sportbikegirl.com
http://www.fuzzygalore.com
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sportbikegirls

These are some of the best sites I've found for women who ride.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 748 abuser
Scraped hands? Why wasn't she wearing gloves?

That was my first question.

I know someone who should be scolded loudly for letting his novice girlfriend practice without proper gloves on. Bad, bad Geoff.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 07:58 AM

Exclamation Doh!

When you said you went to pick up your baby, I thought you meant the "BIKE". So did you give her a spanking. Just remember, don't baby her. Make her strong so she can get back on and ride.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 09:00 AM

Re: Doh!

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD
So did you give her a spanking. Just remember, don't baby her.
Why on earth would he spank his bike?? Thats just plum absurd, hasn't it gone through enough for one night!?!

Geoff, sorry to hear about the drop, hope it can be fixed with minimal $.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 11:30 AM

Lightbulb

no i think its a pretty good practice. at 20mph there is no way you can lock up your rear tire. if you stomp the back break as hard as you can it will just stop the bike. Where as if you grab the front brake really hard at low speed or while turning at low speed it can lock and slide out from under you and you will go down. I cannot think of a situation where not using the front brake at very slow speeds could possibly hurt you in any way.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 11:52 AM
elo

Quote:
Originally posted by vector4
I cannot think of a situation where not using the front brake at very slow speeds could possibly hurt you in any way.
I can. 20 mph is still fast for 300lbs of machinery. At that velocity, using only the back break, you would never stop in time to avoid a close collision.

It's best to use both brakes in street situations.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 12:17 PM

ever been down a gravel road doing 15mph on a 400lb. machine? ever try to use the front brake while doing so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode