ALLSTATE Insurance...AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Angry ALLSTATE Insurance...AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!

ALLSTATE Insurance has to be the snakiest insurance company out there. (I'm sure R-SiXeR would agree with me there after reading his very similar post here.) I received a nice little memo in the mail yesterday stating that my coverage will be terminated at the end of the month due to the "High Performance Capabilities" of my 2001 ZX6R. Of course it wasn't a problem when I signed the bike up with Allstate last month...or when they plugged the VIN number in the computer, approved, and wrote the policy...or when I got my permanent insurance cards 2 weeks ago!!!

Here's the whole story...basically I purchased my new bike in early March this year and I called about 25 different insurance companies trying to find a good rate. Most of them said they wouldn't insure the bike and the bulk of the ones that would wanted between $3000-5000 a year. I had it narrowed down to 2 agencies, Allstate & State Farm. State Farm had a better deal on the bike insurance but to insure my truck they were a lot more expensive. Allstate had a higher bike rate but the truck was much less and it saved me about 400/yr overall so I decided to go with them. (These were the only 2 companies that had reasonable bike rates under $700...but both required me to switch my truck over since it was a new policy, I had gotten a ticket last year, and I am 24) Anyhoo, so I went with Allstate, next catch was that I needed to have my truck insured for 2 months before they could write the bike policy. To deal with this I signed up with Progressive temporarily for the bike, I mean hey...I'll still be saving a couple hundred overall even after being with Progressive for 2 months. So June 11th my 2 months was up and I went into Allstate and they wrote the policy for my bike all smiles and 'thank you for joining Allstate' bull$hit. 'Finally, <big sigh of relief>, the insurance headache is finally over...I'm set for another year on everything' I'm thinking. SMACK!!! Ow $hit, someone just punched me in the balls!!!...oh, hey Allstate...I got the letter yesterday, two pages, almost all of it in giant bold letters "YOUR POLICY WILL BE TERMINATED ON THE DATE ABOVE..." etc, etc.

This whole thing really burns my balls. So I went over to a different State Farm agent yesterday and am probably going to switch everything over to them (at least the bike if possible), of course after I call and rip into Allstate a little. It wouldn't be as bad if not for all the hassle I had to go through to get the bike insured with Allstate to begin with...but either way it's a pretty $hitty way to do business to say 'oh yeah we can do that' then back out 4 weeks later.

Word of warning...any of you with a sportbike (christ, probably ANY bike that's not a Virago 250) and have a policy with Allstate be prepared for the infamous letter terminating your insurance. If you haven't gotten it yet then I'm sure it will be there within the month. Anyhew, sorry for the long post, needed to vent a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 04:58 AM

I can shed some light here.

I have a good friend who owns an Allstate branch here in MI, and, naturally, I called him for insurance on my SV650 (which I bought from my father), and then my Hayabusa. Seeing how my dad had the SV insured through my friend, I figured I would get a similarly attractive rate.

Wrong.

He quoted me over $2K for the SV650, as opposed to my father's $470. I am 32, have only 2 points, and no accidents whatsoever. I asked him what the deal was with the outrageous rate and he told me that Allstate has decided to switch underwriters, so their motorcycle rates are insane. He recommended I look for someone else. He said they'll still write policies for SOME bikes, but the rates are so ludicrous it approaches insulting.

So that's the story I have: Allstate's underwriter structure has changed.

BTW, I switched both my car and my bike to Liberty Mutual, and I got incredible rates for both -- $550/year for a '01 Hayabusa! I recommend them if you have one local to you, but heads up: you need to move your car over to them too if you want a bike policy. (Liberty Mutual also gave me a better rate on my car)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 06:13 AM

Cool Insurance

I have state Farm and they have always done me right. They may be a bit higher on some things (of course my agent has doen me good with my rates). But if it is to high just move over your home owners insrance or gfet renter's insurnace if you rent (like $50 a year) the extra insrance line will give you additional discounts on the policy itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode