What's with the leathers? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Angry What's with the leathers?

I choose sportbikes over harleys because I believe the speed and freedom that come with a sportbike are what it's all about. BUT, there is something associated with sportbikes that bothers me to no end. The colored leathers. Crisscrossed patterns and stripes and whatnot so that people match their bikes; it bothers me to no end. Racing leathers are one thing...I'm talking professional racing where the colors help distinguish or promote or whatever...but I see a lot of guys riding around in "pretty" racing leathers on the streets. What I want to know is how many of you out there wear multicolored leathers on the street like this, and why you do so. I think the pretty boy image has got to stop.

THE END
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:58 PM

Red face Oh goodness me!

Well for one thing I find nothing wrong with matching the leathers to the bike. Did you ever stop to think that maybe it's because of the high profile of the rider? Maybe he wants to look like one with his/ her bike. It has NOTHING to do with being a pretty boy/ EHEM!!! girl! I'm guessing you ask "why do people trick out their cars?" as well. CAUSE WE CAN. Nothing wrong with it. It's good to stick to your own opinions about things, but it hurts me DEEPLY when people critisize others just because what they do does not agree with what you believe.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:58 PM

I c someone doesn't like colored leather. I am buying some to match with my bike. I baught them for simple reasons. They are going ot match my bike, they are confortable, and they protect your body when you fall really good. I don't buy it to looks like a racer. I just want to be safe.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:13 PM

Thumbs down

Yep, I wear a green, black & white Spidi Hook 1-piece suit. It matches my green 9R. I bought it because I like the way it looks and for the protection. At age 27, I'm not going for the "pretty boy" image but I don't want anything boring either. If I had wanted boring, I wouldn't have bought a sportbike.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:19 PM

Not to be rude....

Not to be rude, but maybe you should go back and get a harley. They don't wear leathers. And they are usually pretty judgemental. I think you'll fit right in.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:33 PM

Re: Not to be rude....

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
Not to be rude, but maybe you should go back and get a harley. They don't wear leathers. And they are usually pretty judgemental. I think you'll fit right in.
Sounds like a good idea...
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:47 PM

You seem to be a little confused with the "pretty boy" image. That is riding around without a helmet with your Oakley sunglasses (I'm not slamming Oakley) wearing your Tommy T-shirt, shorts and shoes all while riding a wheelie infront of all the 13 year old girls. While the girls are amused the funny looking car with the flashing lights isn't.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:56 PM

Well let's see. There is black leather, there is white leather, then there is the other colors. All black is too damn hot, all white gets dirty too easy so that leaves the other colors. If I am going to wear colored leathers then they might as well match my damn bike. I'm no pretty boy but it would look pretty sad to ride a red/black/silver bike while wearing green/purple/white leathers.

There's my $.02
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:38 PM

Re: What's with the leathers?

Quote:
Originally posted by Walksw/3legs
I choose sportbikes over harleys because I believe the speed and freedom that come with a sportbike are what it's all about. BUT, there is something associated with sportbikes that bothers me to no end. The colored leathers. Crisscrossed patterns and stripes and whatnot so that people match their bikes; it bothers me to no end. Racing leathers are one thing...I'm talking professional racing where the colors help distinguish or promote or whatever...but I see a lot of guys riding around in "pretty" racing leathers on the streets. What I want to know is how many of you out there wear multicolored leathers on the street like this, and why you do so. I think the pretty boy image has got to stop.

THE END
Man if this isn't trolling I don't know what is...
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I am judgmental, but no, I don't want a harley.

Why do people "trick out" their cars? Hopefully, they do it for performance; in my opinion, the people with chrome rims, mirror tinted windows, and neon lights coming out from under the car are just trying to impress women or their "boys." These Dodge Neons with racing stripes just crack me up.

When it comes down to it, spending hundreds of dollars on a leather suit to match the color of your bike and make you look like a fruit is ridiculous. You can't walk anywhere without attracting attention(which is why I think many of you choose to wear them). Get a black leather jacket, rough it up some, customize it with patches of your choosing, heck maybe even get a small portion done(like by your wrists) to match your bike....if that is too hot for you, ride faster, the wind'll cool you down. I think that is how you manage to look good, yet not fruity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode