Newbie Squid learns a lesson - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Newbie Squid learns a lesson

Tonight was a lesson learned night (I hope) for a young rider I met.

A buddy of mine and I had just finished watching a movie, and were just loitering out front of the theatre having a smoke (damn long movies), when a couple other friends pulled up.
A new rider in town (small town, so most the local riders had known he just got his bike) pulled up and started into soem ego boosting. Talking about how fast his bike is, how shiney it looked (yes, he actually said that), and other new rider famous quotes. We all just smiled and nodded, thinking to just humor him.

His ride was a new R6, and for some reason he figured that since the rest of us had older bikes (one 88 FZR, 86ish CBR, 84 FZ and a 84 GS), that it was his mission in life to belittle our rides as ancient and useless, and we should get real bikes.

I dont know about the rest of the guys, but that managed to piss me right off. Sure, my bike isnt the fanciest around, but it looks good, runs great, and does everything I need it to do. So I start into my tirade of defending my bike. Just seems to soar over his head as he continues the "classic" bashing.

Realizing its a lost cause, I just give up and we all try to ignore him. Finally he gets the point, and fires his bike up with a "See ya losers" parting remark then peels off down the road. A ways down the street, I guess he figures he had to show off his bike one more time. We hear the whine of his engine and take a look, and usre enough, hes powering up down the street for high speed approach.

Seems like he has seen MI2 a few too many times, and decided that a rolling stoppie was easy to do. As he gets near us, brake goes on, ass end rises... then reality sets in as he understands he doesnt know what the hell he is doing. Lets go of the brake and throws his body wieght backwards, trying to avoid going completely over and sucking ashphalt. Back end slams to the ground, and he looses control. Front end bucks back and forth and then down he goes, flipping over the side of his bike as it slams to the ground.

Once the grinding squeal stops, we run on over to see how he is. Nothing too serious, but he was wearing shirts and shorts.. lots of roadrash from skipping along. Get him on the side of the road, then move his bike out of the way. Left side just destroyed, Fairing ground down and scratched, turn signals powder, shift lever bent around, possibly the bars too. I checked the odometer and it was reading 320 =/ What a waste.

So this self proclaimed hotshot, with his "superior bike", managed to destroy his beauty with less KMs on it then I usually put on on a sunday afternoon ride. To add the insult to injury, he whiped right out front of the theatre where we were... right in front of about 40 other people waiting for the early show to let out. And the crowd was loud and appreciative of the show he put on, hehe.

On one hand, I was sad to see what he did to his bike and himself, but hopefully he takes it to heart and learned that a bike is more then a toy.

Not that he is gonna be able to learn from the lesson anytime soon though. When the cops showed up to see what was going on, they found he only had his learners ticket. I believe the fine for riding alone with only the learners up here is loss of license for 6 months. Hell of a way for him to start the summer, hehe.

Laters,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 04:17 PM

Thumbs up

Darwinism, and the finest application of it I've heard in a while.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:15 PM

Talking

Say...was his name Dil?? I heard his brother John Doe did the same thing.........
Whata shum dit!!!
Seriously,tho' this guy hopefully learned some key lessions here and if he ever gets back on a bike he'll be a lot smarter than he was when you last saw him!
I am sure incidents like this make John Q. Public really love riders!!
On the other hand,you did a good deed,Dan,after all the garbage you put up from this guy,in helping him out when he crashed(after he showed you all up!!J/K!!)

Ride safe........

Jim

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:29 PM

Lightbulb All joking aside

Hearing about new riders pulling stunts like that worries me. Some aren't as lucky as this Joe Schmoe was. Granted, bikes are very exciting and somewhat of a confidence builder (for some), but I really hate to hear when the rider feels that "showing off" is the way to go. Believe it or not, chicks don't dig that. I do appreciate a good stoppie or a long-a** wheelie, but not if that's what you think will impress me. I can't speak for everyone, but riding within your means and KNOWING what that is will impress me. Tricks are nice, but when you're ready.

I grant this kid his latest Darwin award. My guess is it's not his first.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:19 PM

Re: Newbie Squid learns a lesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Crius
Seems like he has seen MI2 a few too many times, and decided that a rolling stoppie was easy to do.
That's some funny shit

2001 Honda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(F4i)
1993 Toyota
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Series III 3SGTE)
Personal page is
or
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 11:47 PM

WHOA.. Ok, so I heard of squids trying to show off.. opening a bike, a feeble attemt at a wheelie or what not, but a rolling stoppie!!!.. Ok that really has to take the cake...

I mean anyone who atempts a rolling stoppie without out of the blue is about 80 IQ points short fo being clinically labeled "retarded"..

The good part is that this kid is probably so embaraced that he dumped that he may never get on a bike again.. the bad part is that is he ever does, he probaly won't be as lucky next time..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:25 AM

Re: All joking aside

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_rocket78
I grant this kid his latest Darwin award. My guess is it's not his first.
Sorry to burst ya bubble HR, but the person must actually die to get a Darwin award.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 09:51 AM

Re: Re: All joking aside

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird

Sorry to burst ya bubble HR, but the person must actually die to get a Darwin award.
Whats the fun in that, you will never know you won such a prestegious award.. You mean to tell me the black moths of London don't know every biology student in HS sings their praises???
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:53 PM

Thumbs down

Doh! Sounds embarrassing. He'll be better off not riding again until he grows up.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:47 PM

Question Re: Newbie Squid learns a lesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Crius
When the cops showed up to see what was going on, they found he only had his learners ticket. I believe the fine for riding alone with only the learners up here is loss of license for 6 months.
With a learner's permit, you have to ride with someone else on the bike? Did I understand that right? How can you learn how to safely handle a bike with someone else on it? Are any states like that in the US? In KY, you have to have your permit for 6 months, if you're under 21, until you can get your license. And the only permit restrictions are no passengers and you have to wear your helmet...

-JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode