What bikes do they train on at MSF? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

What bikes do they train on at MSF?

I'm scheduled to take the MSF here in Alameda,CA in September. Does anyone know what type of bikes the students train on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 12:57 PM

I went to the one in Gavilan College in Gilroy CA. They had Honda CB125 and Suzuki GZ250. I chose the CB125 because I felt it more manurable when you are doing the turning and zig zag with the cones.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

What's the logic behind that?

I don't understand the logic behind that, when people go to an MSF course and they get their endorsements on 125cc or 250cc bikes?? I mean, if people are going to buy 600cc bikes, shouldn't they be training all the manuevers on 600's?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 01:13 PM

There are schools that have have bikes from 125cc to 1200cc; however, those school are more spensive to go. I think they are like $2000+ bucks. In that school you can have 6Rs, R6, CBRs, etc. The MSF school is supposed to teach you the basics only. For someone to teach you the basics on how to ride a motorcycle doesn't need a 600cc. Just imaging how spensive it is for them to maintain a 600. Furthermore, how much is going to cost them when people dropped them. By having smaller bikes a person can feel more confident and comfortable, and it is easier to ride it 2. Plus people won't feel intimidated by the size of the bike either. You will be surprice on how people can't ride a 125cc because they do not have throttle or clutch control. More to it, just imagine yourself on a 600cc bike and it is ur 1st time riding it. You won't feel confident on turning at slow speeds because you are going to feel like the bike wants to go down. With a smaller bike you can stop that from happening becasue it is not that heavy. After you have mastered all the basic (which takes a lot of practice by the way), then you can go ahead and get whatever you feel comfortable riding.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 03:27 PM

Re: What's the logic behind that?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisDogg
I don't understand the logic behind that, when people go to an MSF course and they get their endorsements on 125cc or 250cc bikes?? I mean, if people are going to buy 600cc bikes, shouldn't they be training all the manuevers on 600's?
I allows people who never rode to get on a bike thats not goign to get them hurt too badly.. anything dome on a 600 can be done on a 125, the things that cants are learned in racing schools.

Clutching, bracking turning and throttle control are pretty much the same, plus given that you really never exceed 25-30 miles per hours it works.

Once you are able to manouver a 125 through cones in a parking lot, feel confident that you can jump on a 600 and take it on the freeway in rush hour trafiic

Bottom line, get the basics, the rest you kinda have to learn over years on the road..

Good luck
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 04:03 PM

Lightbulb just the basics

Think of it this way... you're not going to learn how to drive a car by hopping in a Dodge Viper and taking off down the street. You learn in what you can handle at the time.

Or for those red necks out there (I'm included)...
You won't learn how to ride a horse by strapping a saddle on a bronc for your first ride.

I could keep going with analogies, but the point is you start small and work your way up. They use the smaller bikes so that EVERYone there can feel comfortable and capable. One thing to keep in mind is some of the people at MSF courses have never even BEEN on a bike, much less taken control themselves.

Not everyone is an Anthony Gobert over night.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 05:40 PM

I completed the MSF course last weekend. Here is the reason I was happy to ride the 250 Honda. Twelve riders, 4 guys, 8 gals. Only 3 of the guys had ridden a bike before, none of the ladies. I almost ran over a few of the never had ridden before and got "scolded" for passing one of the slower riders. We had 3 accidents on Saturday, one involved a rider who did not kill the engine in the staging area, let out the clutch at half throttle and dumped another rider on her ass. No serious injuries and lots of laughs on Sunday. And I was damn glad to have the smaller bike in that cone weave exercise, Tom.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 06:53 PM

When I went take the MSF course we had no accidents. The instructor told us we were the best class of that month. I just wonder what the other people in the class you had, tbozeman, ....if they are riding or not.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 07:18 PM

Talking

Hey Heckler, my class was very funny, one of the gals (not the one who dropped the bike) is gonna get a Harley FatBoy, to impress her boyfriend! She said she was gonna show him how to do the cone weave, but screwed it up on the evaluation. And another (who is a school teacher) wants to go right up a 750 Katana, and then another only went because her husband said so, he rides a 929, and another (the one who dropped the bike) wants to ride a Harley!! Like I said a very comical experience. Tom
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:07 AM

Man that doesn't make sense. All those people want to ride bikes that are too big for them for starting. The katan 750 is like an dinosour. It's really heavy. The fat boy that thing is huge and it takes somewhat of an experience rider to handle that. It sounds that they are taking the course for all the wrong reason. None of them mention that they are doing it for the most important one "to enjoy it." They just are like "I wanna ride this, I wanna ride that." But hey you got a kick out of it so it's all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode