Best first motorcycle for my wife? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Best first motorcycle for my wife?

Do you guys think she will out grow a Ninja 250 too quickly? She is a novice bicycle rider (and a terrible automobile driver). I don't want her to get into trouble on her first motorcycle. She will be taking the MSF beginger course next weekend.

On the otherhand, we plan on doing some hightway riding at some point in the future. Should I try to get her to learn on a 600?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 07:54 PM

Talking

I ride a Ninja250 and I love it. If you dont have any desire to break land speed records than she will be fine. If speed is in her blood than she will not enjoy it long. Its all about personality and preferences. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 05:56 AM

I got my wife a yamaha v-star classic 650. I know it's not sport bike, but the low seat height and gentle acceleration were key points for this bike.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 06:01 AM

Lightbulb

I see most women around town on cruisers. I did see a 929RR out front of the movie theatre and my friend and I were admiring the scars of a lowside when a girl came out and got on it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:41 AM
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Red face I'm in the same boat..

My wife's birthday is in late July and after riding for a few years on the back of sportbikes, she's ready for her own. The funny thing is, she's not real picky about whether or not it's a sportbike or a cruiser. I've been looking at the Ninja 250's and the older Honda VTR 250's as far as the sportbikes go, and I've been looking at the Rebel 250 on the other end.

She just wants a bike, but at the same time I kinda want her to get into sportbikes because I think she'll enjoy them a little better because of her personality. Really, I just want to find her something that I know she is going to drop a few times because she doesn't know how to ride at all and so I'm shopping for something older and cheap.

Let us know which way you go and how your wife liked whatever bike you got her....so I can compare

PEACE!!

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:01 PM

Wife's bike

I would probably take a look at a Suzuki GS500. It should not be too much bike for her and the extra displacement may satisfy her longer than a 250. The only thing about the bike is it does not have a full fairing which will cost more money to get one if she want's that sportbike look. Plus it is only $4400 brand spanking new.

Last edited by congo_grey; 06-27-2001 at 12:04 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:31 PM

My husband bought me a Ninja 250 for our aniversary. I really like it and unless he wants to do over 95 on the highway, I can keep up with him. It has been a real confidence builder. Also it was pretty cheap brand new and he promised me a larger bike next year when I am ready to move up : ) I also looked at the GS500 but kind of liked the look of the little Ninja better.

Hope this helps you!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 07:45 AM
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by jjcm
My husband bought me a Ninja 250 for our aniversary. I really like it and unless he wants to do over 95 on the highway, I can keep up with him. It has been a real confidence builder. Also it was pretty cheap brand new and he promised me a larger bike next year when I am ready to move up : ) I also looked at the GS500 but kind of liked the look of the little Ninja better.

Hope this helps you!
Yeah, that helps a lot. I think my wife will enjoy a 250 Ninja as well. Thanks again for your input.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 12:37 PM

Cool 1st bike

I am only 5-5 and my first streetbike was a cb900f supersport. If I were looking today I think the sv650 would be a great choice. It is light, flickable and there is no expensive plastic to replace when it inevitably falls over like 1st bikes do. Linear power output andgood brakes and suspension plus its relatively cheap. when she outgrows it make a track bike out of it. I wouldn't buy a disposable bike and turn it over in a year, you'll lose too much money. At least the sv is desireable from a market perspective and will hold its value better
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 07:59 PM

SV650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode