What is the point of an endorsement? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb What is the point of an endorsement?

I went to get my endorsement. The riding test was and i quote "ride down to that pole and come back, if you don't crash you pass"

As I waited my turn there was an asian girl on a ninja 500r trying to get hers as well. She gets on, starts it up, drops it in gear without holding in the clutch....bam engine dies. Her friend shows her to hold in the clutch, so she tries again and gets it. Then she proceeds to drag her feet 10 yards as she wobbles out to a decent pace. Huggggge sweeping turn around the pole and back. Shes passed.

Clearly the motorcycle endorsement is of high value as it means you are a qualified rider....yeah right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:38 AM

That is messed up. I feel sorry for that girl, she may not make it in the motorcycling world. In Az its alot different.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 07:23 AM

Unfortunately she'll become probably become a road splat....I'm of the strong opinion that everyone should be required to take the MSF class to get a license....just my .02

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 08:12 AM

I agree with ninjadude, in Arizona the Motorcycle test is damn near a 3 ring circus.

Start, stop quick, go as SLOW as you can through this little obstacle course.. But wait STOP NOW, but dont put your feet down! Watch the lights they will change one of three colors if its red do this, if its green turn to the right and stop, if its yellow, increase your speed to 10mph but not 12mph. Go through these turns at 10mph ONLY. etc etc., NO FEET or u fail!!!

Needless to say, when i got my endorsement in 1992 i was very intimidated by this little test. It was good, challenging and took a certain degree of basic competance. Perhaps times have changed?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

or maybe its just becuase this is loooziana
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:31 AM

I failed the MAryland written the first time ( I was right they were wrong re lane position)
The driving course was pretty rigourus. The Hurricane 1000 was a bit big for the little Sportster looking course. The coolest was the "ride in this box for 30 seconds" test. U-turn in a parking space (no feet). Stop quick test etc....
Still soooooooo basic.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:54 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by vector4
or maybe its just becuase this is loooziana
You beat me to it. (And I was born and raised there!)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 10:41 AM

The Georgia test is pretty much like they described for AZ. Not super hard but not easy either.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:00 AM

Unfortunately, that poor girl will most likely become a statistic. Here in VA, if you pass the MSF course, you don't have to take the riding test at the DMV, only the written test. It may be like that other places too. Without the MSF course, you have to take the riding test, and depending on which DMV you go to, it can be a challenge or a piece of cake. Some use the course design and others just tell you to go to the end of the parking lot turn around. I would think that they would at least use the same format everywhere in the state.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:26 AM

Yeah I've heard about some places having tests like that, and you wonder why so many people get injured on bikes. Obviously they have no business even sitting on one at the dealership. I'm sure I could find a place like that to take the test, but I'd rather go to the MSF because it's been a while since I've ridden a bike. And they'll refresh my mind with things I'd rather learn there, than out on the street in do or die circumstances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode