requesting MSF info. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

requesting MSF info.

id like to hear from others whether or not the basic course is worth taking or not. also, how much is it? and has anyone taken the experienced course? was it any good? how much? thanks
dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 09:53 PM

I feel the MSF riding course is very good to take. You will be introduced to things that you would have not never thought of. They do a great job covering all of the basics and advanced riding skills.
I have taken the second level and it was worth it. They were able to show me some new stuff as well as review basic riding skills. TAKE IT

Here ya go. If you need anymore info just ask.

MSF Website
http://www.msf-usa.org/

Last edited by VYPIR; 06-25-2001 at 09:58 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:19 AM

Lightbulb

My experience with the MSF has been not good. Everyone has told me to take it and I wanted to. However, it is booked 3 months in advance unless you want to take the $135 course which is booked just a few weeks in advance. I checked and my insurance savings would be $2.50 a month. For that I cannot justify $135 on a course.

I realized when I first started I had no idea what I was doing... I went to a parking lot a lot and did practice manuevers that were in my owners manual. Then I got online and read about motorcycle tip, what to do in accidents, etc. and tried to use those in my parking lot trips. I try to do the best I can, I still want to take the MSF but the hoops I was having to jump through got ridiculously high for it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:31 AM

The course is absolutely worth it for a beginner. It will teach you many techniques such as accident avoidance, proper braking, counter-steering, etc. that will take you a long time to pick up on your own. So what if your insurance doesn't drop that much? The point is to make you as good and safe a rider as possible.

The experienced rider course is a good reinforcement, but I think the beginner course is more valuable.

Just my two cents.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:48 AM

I'm an MSF instructor. I'm glad to see that your intrested. I teach the beggining group. Part of the time when people sighn up for the class they have ridden and or have just started, either way they all have told me that they were glad they took the class and that they learned alot.
Before I became an instructor I took the experainced class and found myself using the technics they tought me right away with out even having to think about it. It has saved me butt on more than one occasion. Thats why I decided to become an instructor.
Differant states very on price, call 1-800-446-9227 for a course near you. Good luck.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 03:03 PM

Thumbs up Highly recommended!

I had a great experience in my MSF class! It cost me $185 for two half days and one full day...it was worth every penny!

I, too, had to wait two monthes to get into a class! Be patient and do it! I've a sneakinn suspicion it will save my a$$ later on!

Shiny side up!

signing off.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 03:09 PM

I guess vector4's life isn't worth $135.00 !

Any new knowledge helps and can save your ass. Yeah, there is a waiting list but because it is highly recommeded and a great class. I was riding 8 years before I took the class and it taught me quite a bit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 04:39 PM

im in the military and i have to take it. i had a cruiser before i got my fizzer and it showed me alot. i have to take it again and i think i would rather ride my bike while the other folks i work with are working.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 05:13 PM

Thumbs up

I took my beginners course in NY and it cost $370 plus I had to wait wait months before I had a spot in the class. I have to say it was definitely worth it though. I'm now looking to take the experienced riders course. I was told that the wait should not be nearly as long as the beginners course.

A guy at work came to me today and asked my advice since he was looking for his first bike. The two things I could not stress enough was to take the MSF course and wear the gear!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 05:33 PM

Thumbs up

I just finished the MSF course the day before yesterday here in North Carolina. It costs $80 and will give me a 10% discount on my insurance. I learned alot from the course. I'm 45 years old and raced motocross from 13 to 23 years of age, and then quit riding for over 20 years. The course offers lots of confidence inspiring exercises, i.e. controlled rear wheel skids, braking in turns, hard right and left handed turns, and the infamous "figure eight" ride with 12 riders (about 8 of which never rode a MC). One of the instructors I had is a "veteran" motorcycle cop and this guy could ride a "Gold Wing" thru the cone weave exercise, AWESOME. Though it was hot and humid here in NC, the course comes "highly recommended" from me. TAKE IT. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode