EX250 for daily riding? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Question EX250 for daily riding?

I test-rode a '99 250 today. It feels so slow after my old bike.

I only had 3 weeks riding experience before wrecking my 600 (hit a pothole/bump combo ), so I'm thinking I should get something smaller to learn twisty-road riding on.

Then again, I admit that my ego doesn't like to be bruised, and I don't wanna be the slowest person on the street.

Help?

Jared

P.S. Why the hell did I have to register again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 05:15 PM

I looked for a sportbike a little less powerful than the 600 class models. Bought a Suzuki SV650S. Absolutely love it ! It has plenty of power (great low end torque) but not the high top end of the 600s. A little more forgiving. It is great in the curves & looks good (IMHO). It is also very reasonable to insure. BTW I owned a EX250 and also found it to be underpowered. My SV650S was cheaper to insure than the EX250. Good luck in your search.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I like the SV650S...but I don't wanna spend anything more than what I'm getting for my old bike, and I can't afford an SV650 unless it's been wrapped around a tree. I may end up getting another CBR600, and continuing to be extra-careful. Not that it helped...

Jared

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 07:14 PM

Everybody (who can ride well, and many who can't) has dropped their bike at some point. Me, I dropped mine 4 times in the first 4 years. Each of those times added to my experience, and the last time was 16 years ago.
A 250 is a little small if you plan on riding the interstate over to Myrtle Beach to watch the waves crash against the shore.
The 80's standards aren't bad bikes to learn on, they're relatively cheap, and girls seem to enjoy riding on them at least as much as they do the newer bikes. Damn trying not to be the slowest guy out there, with the limited experience you have, you should be. One of the leading causes of crashes in this game are people going for too much, too soon.
Read the mags, get some instruction if you can, and practice braking and turning, skills which WILL save your life at some point in your riding career, and in time you will get where you want to be......in one piece.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanx for the advice, guys. I'm gonna go ride it again after he gets it tuned up, see if it fixes that SHITTY throttle response, which was my main complaint. How much power can they pick up with the full Muzzy pipe and a jet kit?

Jared
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 11:09 PM

Re: EX250 for daily riding?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay-C
[B]I test-rode a '99 250 today. It feels so slow after my old bike.
Try a 400 - it's a nice compromise, and probably powerful enough to be fun for you after a 6, and light enough to learn some decent skilz on.

2001 Honda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(F4i)
1993 Toyota
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Series III 3SGTE)
Personal page is
or
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 05:59 AM
Squidwannabe

Thumbs up

Go with the 250 ! They are cool bikes, they won't be the fastest on the road. You'll get great gas mileage though and they'll be zippy enough to battle traffic and have a little fun with.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 05:37 PM

250 Ninja too slow????

Whaddaya mean the 250 is too slow? Are you judgeing it by drag race standards or by twisty road standards? I've got one and play with it on the street and track and the only place it isn't as fast as other bikes is in a straight line drag race. Put it on a snaky road or track and it will outcorner lots of bigger bikes.

Besides, for real world street riding what more do ya need except to massage the ego? The bike will cruise at 80-95 mph all day long, flicks in and out of traffic like a bat chasing a bug, doesn't have that stretched out cramp yer back and neck riding position, and gives 60-70 mpg.

Remember, any damn fool (even a monkey!) can hold the throttle open in a straight line. Hell, get the thing going above 20 mph and fall off and the bike will continue in a straight line all by itself.... ego besotted rider not needed at all. It's in the twisty stuff where rider skill, or lack thereof, becomes evident. And the tighter the twistys are the better the 250 likes it.

Stick a soft bag (no... wasn't referring to anyone's girlfriend or wife) on the seat or tank and run errands. If ya just gotta have that big bad power slingshot between the corners first learn how to corner on the lighter and cheaper 250. You can always upgrade to a larger bike next year. And ya won't have to sell the 250 either, just give it to a soft bag.

Last edited by Bikenut; 06-26-2001 at 05:43 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:43 PM

Re: 250 Ninja too slow????

Quote:
Originally posted by Bikenut
Whaddaya mean the 250 is too slow? Are you judgeing it by drag race standards or by twisty road standards? I've got one and play with it on the street and track and the only place it isn't as fast as other bikes is in a straight line drag race. Put it on a snaky road or track and it will outcorner lots of bigger bikes.

Besides, for real world street riding what more do ya need except to massage the ego? The bike will cruise at 80-95 mph all day long, flicks in and out of traffic like a bat chasing a bug, doesn't have that stretched out cramp yer back and neck riding position, and gives 60-70 mpg.

I agree! I love mine. At some point I want to move up (I have no idea to what yet) but I will be keeping my little ninja because I think I would miss it. And I am a beginner rider and can keep up with my husband's 600 in the turns. I also have no problems with it on the highway.

Good Luck!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 06:14 PM

Buying a 250 is a waste of money...
The resale value is horrible on those bikes cause beginners usually buy them..... (Drop them and Crash them)

If you want my opinion, get a 600 and you cant go wrong...
You'll probably end up keeping it for a long time so trade-in value isn't an issue.

I'm not by any means trying to imply that you should go out and get a Liter-bike but when you learned to drive a car did you start off in a GO-CART or did you learn in a real car????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode