Where does the term "squid" come from? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Question Where does the term "squid" come from?

What's up everyone, I'm pretty new to the world of sportbikes and I'm just getting around with the terminology "cage","Gixxer", but what I wanna know is where does the term "squid" come from? Why do they use that term as opposed to "cherry" or "fng" or somethin else? What characteristics make new guys to sportbikes alike to that of squid? What characteristics do the both share? How long does it take for a new rider to no longer be labeled a "squid"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 12:13 PM

A thread on this topic circulated a couple of weeks ago. You might do a search for it.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 12:33 PM

The term is used for someone who is an inexperienced(or just plain stupid) rider who consistently rides"over his head", or hasn't found his limits in just the right way yet (crash is imminent). It is commonly used for these nitwits you see riding sportbikes (or any bike for that matter) wearing t-shirts, shorts and tennis shoes and wheelying, burning out, and doing stoppies in traffic and generally riding like an idiot. You know, the ones that give all of us a bad name. It came from "squirrely kid".

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:56 AM

There is more to it than just motorcycling. Paintballers have been using the term for a long time as well. Just as in motorcycling it has more than one definition.

Most common is a newbie whos parents bought him the best of everything and this gear makes him think he is the best player on the field.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:16 AM

To answer your question, the similarities between a squid biker and a ocean squid are that they both go balls out in the straights and cant turn for shiot. Another might be jellied bodies? but that comes later... See the fishy squid has an open ocean to perform his moves while the bike squid has cement, trees and guardrails to impede him on his squidly way.

Now there is a difference between a rich kid, a squid, and an inexperienced rider.

The rich kid is'nt automatically a squid just cuz his parents bought him the hottest new Gixxer and all the matching gear to go with it, he just has a high potential to become a squid. IMO, Sagekiller666 is a squid!!

A new, or inexperienced rider may make mistakes as he learns (like running off the road once in awhile ) but if he wasnt trying to be a weenie or squid, than its just a mistake IMO.

A squid is a rider whos ego is larger than his riding knowledge and skills. He rides like an idiot on the road, and never goes to a track. He always has an excuse why the bike was holding him back. He has no sense of responsibililty for himself or the safety of others.

Last edited by HondaNut!; 06-28-2001 at 11:24 AM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 02:20 PM

Lightbulb

I have an example. When I first started riding I was riding home down the parkway when I see an old camaro ripping up behind me with 2 18 yr old punks in it. I briefly thought about opening it up and taking off. But I decided since I had just started riding that the 80mph I was going was plenty fast for me and I just kept my pace and they roared past me. So see I had the chance to turn to the darkside and become a squid. The darkside is very tempting, beware.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 05:32 PM

I'm glad to see there are still some smart people out there
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:16 PM

I have one question for Honda Nut. What the **** is your problem? Do you see me on here saying shit about you? What even makes the shit you say even stupider then it already is, is that you donít even ****ing know me.

And what the ****? I'm a rich kid? My parents bought me a bike and matching gear? **** that, there you go again saying shit from the part of your brain called the "imagination" which is located in your ass.

Let me just clarify this, so people like Honda Nut can stop trying to make there ego look bigger by saying shit about people they donít know (ME).

1. I have a 2001 R6
2. Yes I do have matching gear
3. No my parents are not rich
4. I make money and work hard for it so I can buy the stuff I want (Bike, Matching gear)
5. I donít say shit about people I donít know
6. I am secure enough to talk about people with respect, especially if I havenít even met them.

Its obviously you have the "my balls are bigger then yours" syndrome, and that my friend is where the real squid lies.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sagekiller666
I have one question for Honda Nut. What the **** is your problem? Do you see me on here saying shit about you? What even makes the shit you say even stupider then it already is, is that you donít even ****ing know me.

And what the ****? I'm a rich kid? My parents bought me a bike and matching gear? **** that, there you go again saying shit from the part of your brain called the "imagination" which is located in your ass.

Let me just clarify this, so people like Honda Nut can stop trying to make there ego look bigger by saying shit about people they donít know (ME).

1. I have a 2001 R6
2. Yes I do have matching gear
3. No my parents are not rich
4. I make money and work hard for it so I can buy the stuff I want (Bike, Matching gear)
5. I donít say shit about people I donít know
6. I am secure enough to talk about people with respect, especially if I havenít even met them.

Its obviously you have the "my balls are bigger then yours" syndrome, and that my friend is where the real squid lies.

Catfight?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire

Catfight?
no, actualy just HondaNut making an ass out of himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode