I need help to reform a squid before he kills himself. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I need help to reform a squid before he kills himself.

I need help to reform a kid I know before hekills him self. His DAD bought him a 96 900RR this is his first bike ever. He hasen't even mastered the clutch yet ( he stalled it twice pulling out of the gas station) and he was bragging about doing 130mph. Hedoes were a helmet but thats it. oh and he doesn't have his motorcycle endorsement. any help/ advice you can give me will be appreicated. I was thinking about printing the thread out and giveing it to him.

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle M. Wilsonville, OR

"Big Dick's HARDCORE Road Racing School, where we drag more than our knees."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:34 AM
Squidwannabe

Re: I need help to reform a squid before he kills himself.

Quote:
Originally posted by The_CB_Kid
I need help to reform a kid I know before hekills him self. His DAD bought him a 96 900RR this is his first bike ever. He hasen't even mastered the clutch yet ( he stalled it twice pulling out of the gas station) and he was bragging about doing 130mph. Hedoes were a helmet but thats it. oh and he doesn't have his motorcycle endorsement. any help/ advice you can give me will be appreicated. I was thinking about printing the thread out and giveing it to him.

Thanks,
Kyle
Let 748_Abuser take him for a ride in the twisties.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:41 AM

There isn't much you can do other than voice your opinion.. Also, just my opinion, I wouldn't ride with the moron...I'd tell him flat out (as I have many new riders) that I won't ride with them until they have taken an MSF course and demonstrated to me that they aren't complete screwups.....

Speak your piece and walk away...thats all you really can do, because he's gonna do what he wants anyway

Last edited by RedNinja; 06-25-2001 at 11:00 AM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:53 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by RedNinja
There isn't much you can do other than voice your opinion.. Also, just my opinion, I wouldn't ride with the moron...I'd tell him flat out (as I have many new riders) that I won't ride with them until they have taken an MSF course and demonstrated to me that they are complete screwups.....

Speak your piece and walk away...thats all you really can do, because he's gonna do what he wants anyway

Ya, good advice. If you do ride with him, Ride behind him. Don't forget to compliment him on his skill of getting the bike to 130... Don't think anyone here can do that.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 11:03 AM

Re: Re: I need help to reform a squid before he kills himself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Squidwannabe
Let 748_Abuser take him for a ride in the twisties.
He'd make me crash. I'm still learning turns.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 12:38 PM

Maybe you ought to print out this thread and show it to his dad. I've got a feeling he has no clue about the position he put his kid in....moron. Not just for buying him the bike, but from your description, the obvious lack of interest dad is taking (no liscence/MSF course). Did he buy him any protective gear (boots/leathers/gloves)?

Better yet, print this out and show it to his mom. The last thing we all need is another stain on the road driving up our insurance rates.

Oh yeah, "I wouldn't ride with the moron...I'd tell him flat out..."- Ditto

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:36 PM

I disagree with labelling the KID a moron, hes just a kid afterall... i think its his Dad or parents who are the real morons here... They are the ones who need to be woken up. The kid will be a kid no matter what, without responsible parenting.

Pretty freakin scary sh*t!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:44 PM

I agree with Redninja. I forgot where they sell some motorcycle accidents to where the rider died or became handicap. So, you can show it to him just like the traffic school instructor does. May be by seeing all this he would be careful and take the MSF course. At first I was like him. I wanted an R1; however, after I took the MSF course my mind changed completely, and I have a lot of respect for any bike because it is not the bike that gets you in trouble, it is the rider.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenNinja
I disagree with labelling the KID a moron, hes just a kid afterall... i think its his Dad or parents who are the real morons here... They are the ones who need to be woken up. The kid will be a kid no matter what, without responsible parenting.

Pretty freakin scary sh*t!
It's his Dad I was talking about.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:58 PM

Exclamation some suggestions to save this kid's a$$

Well, lots of good advice and opinions from all those who replied! But here are perhaps the 2 best suggestions:

Take him to your local hospital to speak to ER/Trauma doctors and staff. Most ERs keep photo journals of serious traumas and injuries for training/instructional purposes. If you take the time to stop by the hospital and meet some of the staff ahead of time to explain your situation most ER staff will be glad to set some time aside to talk with this kid. You might even be able to arrange for him to spend some time in the ER and see actual traumas.

The other option is to take him to your local police station. Same as the hospital, most police departments keep photos of serious accidents. Stop by ahead of time and explain the situation. Schedule some time with a police officer who can talk to this kid and maybe show him some photos.

I have a few doctors and police officers in my family, and I can tell you that giving the "scared straight" speech to young guys is a regular part of their jobs. In fact, many hospitals and police departments have designated staff who specialize in giving speeches and presentations to kids who need it! And you'd be surprised how quickly a kid snaps back into reality when he sees pictures of accidents and hears first-hand stories from adults who's job it is to clean up the mess when kids make stupid mistakes!!!

Whichever you choose to do (or maybe both) it will take a little bit of leg-work from you to set everything up. But the impression I get from reading your thread is that you care about this kid and really do want to help him, so I'm sure you won't mind setting things up for him. You should bring the kid's father too, sounds like he needs it!!!

Ride Safe,
Dan

ps - it's good to see that you're taking the time to help this kid before something bad happens!!!

Last edited by slaintedan; 06-25-2001 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode