sport-standard to sport - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb sport-standard to sport

I've had my bandit 1200s for about 2 months now and I've put 1200 miles on it. I recently went shopping with my friend who is looking for a cruiser, while he was checking those out I was playing with the sport bikes. Now that I have been riding a while it means something to me when I sit on bikes rather than b4 I had one and all bikes felt the same. Anyways.... sportbikes feel SOO light compared to that big bandit, I fell like I could ride much better on a 600 sportbike. I am seriously considering trading the bandit in on a ninja 6r maybe, I think I can get $4200 in trade in on the bandit.

I will miss the center stand and the big underseat storage. Has anyone else gone from a sport-standard to a sport bike, if so did you like the change? Do they really feel that much lighter when you ride them? I don't race my bike, I commute to work on it, joyride, and use it as my main transportation unless its raining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 08:12 AM
Squidwannabe

Not that there is anything wrong with a zx6r, I'd look at a ZX6 also.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

i did, its was comfy, but each time I looked back at that goofy dual exhaust flaring out the sides I cringed.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 09:59 AM

I went from a 650 standard to a 1200 sportbike and loved the power, better brakes and good handling.
Your Bandit is no slouch but it is heavy and low tech compared to the sportbikes out there. But you got a 1200 for the cost of a 600 sportbike.

If it were me, I'd miss the 1200's roll on power compared to a 600. Maybe a used 929 would be in your price range?

My .02
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:10 AM

Thumbs up

Motoboy has a great point, you will be redlining the 6 all the time !I went the other direction, from an f4 to a nb12. You'd have a blast on the 6 but long term the9's would keep you happy since your used to so much torquey midrange.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Yeah it is a joy being able to pull out of any gear, but I am hestitant to get on a liter sportbike. I think I would be tempted to go too fast. I also want to buy a new bike and they cost significantly more, and I haven't gotten any quotes but I am thinking insurance would go up a lot. The main thing I am looking at in the 600's is turning faster. I have to heave that bandit over to do quick side to side turning.

I wish I knew someone with a 600 they would let me ride. All my riding buddies drive cruisers.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:58 PM

Vector....

As some one who has ridden quite a few 600 sportbikes (at length), previously owned one, and currently has a B12, I'll offer my insight.

Yes, a GSXR6, ZX6, CBR6 will defintely haul ass in the twisties, thats what they were made for. They are light as hell a very flickable You can expect to have the bike near redline most of the time if you want to ride fast, but they live there, and do just fine. A B12 is no match for one in the tight as hell stuff.

As far as shear power, the 600's are no match for a B12. I'm sure some one will spout HP numbers, but I will add that that HP doesnt mean shit without TORQUE. The B12 has a ton of power from the basement all the way up, this is quite handy for 2 up riding, especially if youre also packing stuff. I'm telling you from experience, 2 up riding on a CBR600 sucks for any real distance, compared.

What it comes down too is, HOW DO YOU WANT TO RIDE? Each bike has its advantages and disadvantages. You just have to go with one that best suits your preferred riding style/situation........
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 07:22 PM

I just can't understand why anyone would want to go from a liter bike to a 600 !!!!!
I have a friend who did the same thing you are about to do...
He now wishes he had NEVER EVER made that mistake.......
Find a dealership that allows test rides (YA RIGHT) and take out a used 600 and thrash it around a little. You will be very disappointed.... They handle great but if you dont mind revving the ever-loving crap out of a bike to get any power out if it, by all means, get one...
The R1, GSX-R1, or the 929 don't weigh all that much more than their smaller 600cc brothers. Check em out....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RizzYZF
I just can't understand why anyone would want to go from a liter bike to a 600 !!!!!
Well that's has been the trend over here. Five years ago they just couldn't get 600s out the door. Now they are the quickest selling bikes. Talking to one of the dealers here they were saying that people were trading their bigger bikes in on the middleweight class bikes because it's more difficult to get into trouble (with the law). More than a few had come in that had previously lost their licences.

I'm perfectly happy with a 600 at the moment.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 08:49 PM

Suit yourself, but why would you want to be like everyone else ?

You'll get bored of it............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode