Next bike after SV 650 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Next bike after SV 650

I love my SV 650 so much. But I ride with my girlfreind alot and it really starts to lag with two passengers. I've been thinking about upgrading to either a GSX-R 750, or a 929rr. I'm just wondering if what you guys think, is that too big a step or should I get a 600 for awhile. Keep in mind I do alot of two up riding and I've been riding for 4 years now. Also any other suggestions for bikes that are good for two up. I know I want something more sport oreiented than the SV. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 09:58 PM

Gixxer or 929 may be tough on the passenger. A VFR will have more power, but it may depend on you and your wifes combined weight. Think cbr 1100xx or kawasaki zx12r, both very sporty and with enough 'juice' for two !!
That new Fazer would work great also, just not as sporty as the others.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 08:52 AM

Re: Next bike after SV 650

Quote:
Originally posted by luckyguy19
I love my SV 650 so much. But I ride with my girlfreind alot and it really starts to lag with two passengers. I've been thinking about upgrading to either a GSX-R 750, or a 929rr.....
Two up? More sporty than an SV650?

Hayabusa!

2nd choice: 2001 Bandit 1200

Forget the GSXR750 for two up. You and your GF will hate the riding position. Plus, the motor will be weak 2 up. You gotta rev that motor to get it to go when carrying 2 people.

929 will be better than the GSXR750 two up. More comfortable too. But that bike is built more like a 600(with a near-liter motor) so it's small & narrow with a high passenger perch like the GSXR. Again, you & your GF probably won't like the comfort compared to the SV650..

On the Busa or Bandit, you won't notice the power drag of having a second person on board due to all that torque. And both will be sporty enough. The Bandit will be MORE comfy. The Busa will be more sporty and it is WAaaaay fast! The Honda CBR1100XX bridges the gap between the BAndit & Busa.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:48 PM

i've heard the fireblade is pretty good for two up. but i also heard the cia sells crack, so believe what you will. IMO anything "sporty" means uncomfortable for the bint. but if you want something that you can stand up on a whim and still do 120 with the "baggage" then i think anything litre class and up will do fine. speaking of which how do the rc-51 and its v-twin friends do 2 up?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nappyboy
...........speaking of which how do the rc-51 and its v-twin friends do 2 up?
The RC51.....2 up? You're kidding right? Have you seen the RC51's rear seat? I suppose the GF or wife can use that as a tampon 'cause it's about the same size!

The TL1000R's rear footpegs are only 8" or so from the rear seat. Talk about being folded up.

And the 996R.....I've seen people do 2 up on those. But if a girl will tolerate that for long, you'd better marry her!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 05:58 AM

Coincidenal post. I just sold my red 2000 SV650 for a 2001 Hayabusa. Excellent upgrade in every way, *provided* you can respect a bike like the Busa; it is light years ahead of the SV650 in terms of power (and size), and will bite you extremely hard if you don't recognize this. EXTREMELY hard.

I recommend the Busa very highly, but admittedly, it's not for everyone. I am using it primarily for sport-touring, which is the niche Suzook has carved out for it (no matter what the drag-racers tell you. )
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 07:31 AM

Lightbulb

is the busa good for sport touring? I always said it would be my next bike in a year or so, but I caught the bug recently and went bike shopping. And well, the busa was just SOO big, it seemed like I was on a goldwing, that fairing is huge. It turned me off and I set my eyes on the 600 bikes.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 10:50 AM

Suzuki doesn't award it's GSX-R designation to the Hayabusa (it gets the GSX-1300R, not the same as the GSX-R1000, R750, R600), basically because it's a very large bike with a huge wheelbase that is suited more for straight-line speed (touring) with a bit more comfort than your average sportbike. That said, however, don't underestimate the Busa's handling: it's quick and precise, and it's radical geometry hides the bike's mass well.

For real serious long-distance touring, you might want to throw on some gel-grips and maybe a 1" handlebar riser and you're good to go. The press' consensus is that the Busa is just an overgrown sport-tourer on steroids, which, as it appears, is a good thing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker

The RC51.....2 up? You're kidding right? Have you seen the RC51's rear seat? I suppose the GF or wife can use that as a tampon 'cause it's about the same size!
i heard the RC51 is bloody fast. ok so what? i think i'm funny.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 06:42 PM

A Liter bike is the way to go.... They don't mind a passenger at all.
That is a real plus. Youve been riding for a while now and you would probably be fine on a Busa. If your girl will ride with you you r definitely not a sqid and you are not likely to abuse the power of such a bike.. You'll have nothing to prove to anyone cause the bike speaks for itself.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode