Know who you ride with - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Know who you ride with

this is kind long but i have to get it off my chest.
last night i saw somethings i will never forget. i met a fellow rider and decided to cruise with him for the night. after an hour of riding we bump into a crew of riders he knows. now we are about 15-20 bikes across all three lanes of traffic. after some wheelies on the freeway including a most impressive 2 mile stand up passing cars. we stop for gas and head down to "hooligan's run". a lone strip of divided road in the middle of nowhere. being poor and in love with my bike i pull over in the parking lot to smoke a cigarette and watch the show. some respectible wheelies on gsxr 1000s and a very good effort by a young rider on an sv650 (keep at it bro getting better!).watching "the christ" and some large stoppies, i notice i'm the only one with a helmet and i'm not performing!!! then it happens. a guy jumps on his '01 gsxr 1000 and pulls out into the street(we'll call him "Aaron"). i hear the roar of someone riding the back wheel, "Steve" and look up to see him drop the front end and drop anchors just in time to smack into the back of the bike that pulled out. the squeal of rubber, the pop of plastic splintering, the rough gritty sound of flesh sliding across concrete. i would guess that he was doing atleast 120 in the wheelie and 80-90 at impact. everyone froze. some of the girlfriends started shrieking. i shake off the shock and run out into the street. Steve is about 50-60 feet down the street from the bikes. i look down and he is totally intact. some road rash on his right forearm and lower right back, but he was in excellent shape for someone who just went superman over the bars. the other guy was not. probably a broken nose and multiple fractures in his left leg. . Steve has insurance, i make him comfortable and someone calls an ambulance. Aaron has no insurance of any kind. his bike is pushed out into the mesa and hidden in a ditch to be picked up later. his girlfriend pulls up her car and takes him to the hospital. apparently he has something like 130 moving violations and is never allowed to have a drivers license. ever. a guy like that has no respect for his safety or anyone elses. someone on high was watching us that night. i don't know how no one died. the moral is: ALWAYS WEAR YOUR DAMN GEAR.
thanks i feel better now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 10:12 AM

Good that everyone is alive. Furthermore, I agree with WEAR ALL YOUR DAMN GEAR!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 07:56 PM

Hmm...

Sounds like survival of the fittest doesn't always apply.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 10:04 PM

Well i'm the young rider on the SV650. I will never forget the images I saw tonight. I'm just sorry that Nappyboy had to see this happen on the first time riding with me. Turns out there are no broken bones at all. Both guys are just bruised and scraped up. The bike coming down from the wheelie is totaled, the whole front end is gone, and the frame is bent. The other bike just needs new rear rim, new back plastic, and new back subframe. Both guys will be back out riding in a couple of weeks, and most likely doing the same things. But I can assure you I won't ever be practicing my wheelies without my helmet again. You do have to be careful who you ride with, much of the time its not what your doing but what someone else is doing that can affect you. Someone should have died from an impact like that, thankfully no one did and alot of us were taught a good lesson.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 01:10 AM

I agree about the wearing your gear thing...... BUT, how about:

DONT RIDE LIKE A MORON!

Seems more appropriate for the situation...... Sorry, I have no sympathy for those guys. They chose to ride like that, and they payed the price. Unfortunately, as mentioned, they will probably be riding again soon. The problem with that is, that they may kill some one else, who had nothing to do with their activities......

Last edited by Griff; 06-24-2001 at 01:14 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 06:30 AM
Squidwannabe

Re: Know who you ride with

Quote:
Originally posted by Nappyboy
someone on high was watching us that night.
The lord works in mysterious ways ....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 08:21 AM

I'm a beginner dudes...I've been riding for about 1 month off and on on my friends bike. He has a 94 F2, which is really nice. One time I started riding with some people I met, and we were going calmly and everything till a bunch of girls showed up and all of them just start to show off. Since, I know of lots of people including friends who have had accidents and even died, I said to my self "time to go on your own." Griff that's were the MORON things comes up Later people and don't show off that's stupid.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 04:36 AM

Re: Know who you ride with

Quote:
Originally posted by Nappyboy
now we are about 15-20 bikes across all three lanes of traffic. after some wheelies on the freeway including a most impressive 2 mile stand up passing cars. i don't know how no one died. the moral is: ALWAYS WEAR YOUR DAMN GEAR. [/B]
How about, "the moral is if you ride like an a-hole, putting those around you at risk, sooner or later someone's gonna end up in the hospital, or worse."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 05:40 AM

IMHO they got what they deserved. Stupid is as stupid does.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:16 AM

I applaud those of you who realize when a situation has become stupid and recognize when it's time to go your own way. I have a Hayabusa, and it's amazing how much attention this thing attracts.

Coming home from the dealership this past Saturday, a whopping 17 miles on the odo, I had three bikes pull up and try to run with me. I just looked at them and shook my head. No way. The dumbest thing about this was that the smallest bike that wanted to run was a Gixxer 750, and none of the other riders were wearing anything but a helmet. All were in shorts and t-shirts.

Hey, it can be hot in leather, but there are alternatives. Joe Rocket makes a cool fabric/steel mesh summer jacket with full armor for about $160 that is as light as a heavy t-shirt. No heat issues there, and good protection from the steel mesh weave (very cool IMO).

On another note, I was on a long ride this past Sunday, down North Territorial road here in Michigan (incredible, scenic, twisty two-lane). I was riding with my father and a friend, and we were staggered and giving adequate space for one another. Before long, some a-hole on an R6 comes up and joins our group, which is fine, but he had no idea how to ride in a group. He'd tailgate one of us, wheelie ahead of us @ stop signs then fall back, and rode abreast during the twistiest and tightest parts. He was annoying. To make matters worse, he was wearing a shorts, a tank-top, high-top Nikes and a helmet. That's it. Eventually, we asked him to leave our group or chill out. He told me his bike will take mine and laughed. We just went about our way while he wheelied away from us. What an ass.

It bums me out to see what some of the motorcycle community is like. No wonder insurance rates are so freaking high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode