LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 10:43 AM
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 01:41 PM

Lets go tear it up!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 04:01 PM

I read the article the other day, and it is indicitive of the general attitude towards motorcyclists in the general Sacramento area. There is a huge anti-motorcycle sentiment here, more so than any other city I've ever ridden in, its almost unreal.

Salmon Falls is a great ride, I've been up & down that road many times (its only 20 minutes from my house). Its about 13-14 miles long, and it has a ton of twists and curves, definite peg-draggers heaven. It attracts more motorcyclists around here than anything else, and what the article fails to mention, is that the total number of accidents on SF is nothing in comparison to the number of riders that go through there.

Using the Bees own numbers 23 accident in 3 years, 15 seriously injured. What they failed to mention was that only 2 or 3 of those resulted in death. In the grand scheme, that almost non-existent, consider that 1000's of riders each year ride that road. If you used the total numbers (1000's) when compared to cagers in any given high-traffic area, and then look at their accident and/or fatality rate, it would be substantially higher. They really have no room to talk.

What the real issue is, that people do live directly off of that road, and they get irrititated that there so many riders on 'their' road. We have as much right to use that road, for any reason, as they do to live there.

Sure, the CHP will step up their patrols for a while, and we'll just go somewhere else for the time being. There are plenty of similar roads around here, and they dont have the money or manpower to cover all of them. In the end, the CHP will have expended a good chunk of their budget, stop the patrols, and we'll be right back..........

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff

Sure, the CHP will step up their patrols for a while, and we'll just go somewhere else for the time being. There are plenty of similar roads around here, and they dont have the money or manpower to cover all of them. In the end, the CHP will have expended a good chunk of their budget, stop the patrols, and we'll be right back..........

I hope that is true because we are having the identical problem at Mt. Palomar right now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo079

I hope that is true because we are having the identical problem at Mt. Palomar right now.
I frequent Mt. Palomar too.

On any given Sunday, just watch those guys going up and down the fast way. Dragging their knees on blind hairpins IN FORMATION! Passing at will. Some of those guys already have one foot in their graves.

I love riding up Palomar. I love riding up the hairpins. But the behavior of many riders on that road is appalling. I don't really care if they kill themselves. Just don't kill me along the way. And by any stretch I don't even ride slow going up there. I just don't ride along so fast that I'm dragging my knee. There have been quite a few times when I rounded a corner, there was either a downed rider, an overturned truck, a car crash, water, a cow, a big rock, and I barely had time to stop! You'll just never know until you round the bend. At the speeds those guys are running, they can kiss their asses goodbye. Many have!

I'll keep riding up to Palomar simply because it's a great destination and has many great roads around it. I'll just avoid rush hour(any Sunday or big holiday) and go in the back way(safer cause there's way less sportbikers).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker

I frequent Mt. Palomar too.
You are lucky to get to ride on weekdays.

Palomar is much safer than Angeles Crest. As far as I know, in all the years only one fatality, recently on the tight side. I never ride the fast side. Too much like Angeles Crest. The tight side is so technical even the fast guys don't go that fast.

Right now, the local sheriff is ticketing for equt. violations and loitering. Thats right, they took all of the tables and chairs off of the "porch" at Mothers. If the sheriff sees you hanging out too long, he will ask for a reciept for goods purchased at the general store or Mothers and if it is more than a few minutes old he will (so I am told) ask you to leave or cite you.

It is total harrassment.

I suspect the locals are putting pressure on.

As far as I know this doesn't include the road itself, but the CHimPs may join in....

So, as I said, I hope they run out of money for this campaign soon.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 12:27 PM

I don't really get to ride on weekdays. I do try to ride on Saturdays. For some reason, Sat's aren't too crowded in Palomar. Also, I don't go up and down the fast side. Too many suicidal guys do this and that's when you start tipping the odds in favor of a collision. I find it surprising that you haven't seen, heard or read about fatalities on the fast side except for one. There are fatalities in Palomars fast side almost every month during the riding season. And there are more than enough lowsides, and collisions almost every weekend. Really! That's no exhaggeration. In addition, when you say, "the fast side is so technical even the fast guys don't go that fast", that also really surprises me. Your idea of "fast" must be different from mine. The turns on the fast side are probably 15 mph hairpins and some of the fast guys do that turn at least around 50+ mph. Fast enough to drag their knees as tight as those turns are. Some of them ride down like that in tight formation. Just look at the action pics at www.socalriders.com and you'll see some nice examples. However, not everyone rides like that of course. But many of them do. And as crazy as I might think that is, I can't help but be impressed at these rider's skills and the size of their balls. I guess they feel they've got nothing to loose. If I felt that way, I would be right with them I guess. But like you said, that is a technical road with very little if any room for error. Those that make an error at those speeds are the ones you read about or see in ambulances. My friend recently almost lost his life by making such an error. A minor one at that. No thanks.

Yeah. I know about the zero-tolerance for loitering and parking at Mothers. And yeah. It is HARASSMENT pure and simple. The bottom line is, the residents of Mt Palomar want sportbikers off their mountain. Just look how we terrorize the roads and you can understand. Imagine if a bunch of HD riders, about 50+ of them at a time started riding up and down your street with loud pipes, an aggressive attitude, and no regard for your safety. Would you tolerate it or do something about it? Even if most are well behaved. You would still consider them a general threat and nuisance to your well being.

I'm not on the side of the residents of Palomar. Quite frankly, they never really entered my mind before. But from their point of view, sportbikers are a threat & a nuisance. Hell, even I think some of the riders up there are a threat to my safety! Imagine how those residents feel! This really worries me 'cause someday, there might not be a Palomar to go to if sportbikers keep this up. Either that or our riding severely curtailed. And that would be a sad day. It is one of the premier places to ride in the South County area.

BTW, have you tried riding down Borrego Springs? Now there's another nice road.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:53 AM

Tight Side

Like I said, I know nothing about the fast side. (the one you can see the lake from)

The fatality I was talking about occured on the tight side. It is the only fatality I know about on that road.

I have worked my way up to where my friends are just taking off their helmets when I arrive. Used to be they were just finishing a cigarett when I got to Mothers.

Anyway, the whole thing has prompted me to look into some track days now and then.

See ya at the top!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode