Drunk Driver killed motorcyclist - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Drunk Driver killed motorcyclist

I was reading in the paper this morning while on the crapper about an accident that happened Wenesday evening in my town. What happened was that a guy was out for a ride on his bike having a good time when he came around a turn in the road and hit a pickup truck. Apparently, the driver of the pickup truck was DWI and drifted into the wrong side of the road. The guy riding his bike was thrown off and died at the scene. This got me to thinking, I ride that stretch of road plenty of times, it could easily have been me instead.
I love ridinig my bike, whether its alone or with a bunch of people, and in fact I just bought my wife a bike(v-star classic) so she can enjoy it with me. But after seeing these types of accidents time after time, do you really think that there's a place for us out there with all these idiots on the road. I didn't even know the guy, but I feel really bad. It could happen to any of us at any time. Well anyways, I feel a little better writing about this now. Be safe out there.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:03 PM

I had a close buddy of mine get killed on his bike in a DWI accident a few years back when I lived in Daytona Beach, FL. They were in a ride that I was supposed to go on w/ them. I had to work and found out about it that night. I started to ask the same question, but after not finding any answers I was forced to get over it and keep riding. Riding is a way of life, and you can't let the idiots in their cages win. They don't care, so you gotta watch your own ass!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Yes this is true - it just sucks that your own good health is in some other mentally challenged or plainly incapable hands.

Peace,
Chris

(I know I can count my luck stars)

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:26 PM

Thumbs down

I knew a kid back in school who was killed the same way, except he was on a bicycle.

We can minimize the risk in most situations but it is these types of accidents, the ones in which are out of our control, that scare me the most. Senseless tragedy.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:36 PM

There have been a million close calls, and I know I've had my fair share, and yours, and yours and.............. Are you gonna keep riding or not, just depends on how deep riding is in your heart. I couldn't quit if I had to!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 04:04 PM

Re: Drunk Driver killed motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally posted by Zimmer
do you really think that there's a place for us out there with all these idiots on the road.

Yeah. It is called a race track. But if going fast isn't your bag baby, then just try to ride safe. There are idiots everywhere.

Last edited by funksouljon; 06-22-2001 at 04:08 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 04:25 AM

Lightbulb every day we get out of bed and ride or drive we.....

take the risk of dying.

I thought of a great idea while back, the idea was to have ALL student drivers take a course in motorcyles (just like the ones the DMV gives). This would give them a little more respect for bikers, heck we might even see more riders out on the streets. Also the U.S. should give out provisional licenses to all new drivers and riders.

New drivers should dirve economy cars i.e. Ford Echo *snickers* then after a year they could move up any vechical of choice. As for the motorcycle rider he/she should start out with a 250cc bike non-crotch rocket, no aprillas for you!!! Then also after a year they can move on to bigger and better bikes.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 10:53 AM

The only thing you can do is focus on what is going on around you, and see the idiot coming before it is too late. Easier said than done, I know, but there are precious few motorcycle accidents that could not have been avoided if the rider had done something differently. The trick is to always know what the right thing to do is. That is not an easy trick by any means, but it is one that all of us should constantly be striving for. That is one of the reasons forums like this are so good. Here we can all learn from other people's mistakes, instead of just our own.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 11:56 AM

Is sad for those riders who die because of others stupidities. However, a friend of mine (he used to live in ride in europe) told me that he used to get 50% off his car insurance because he had a motorcycle driver license over there. The reason being that motorcyclist are "more aware of the sorrounding, and are more capable to react faster than regular driver." It would be really nice to have that here in the US. I could used 50% off. Furthermore, I believe even when "we the rider" react fast, somehow the idiot making the mistake just keeps going your way when you are actually trying to prevent the accident.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 06:49 PM

I agree with Rosco on this one. There are not too many accidents that can't be avoided. I know that when I had my accident on my 250 even though it wasn't the least part my fault, I could have avoided it if I was paying more attention to what the vehicles around me were doing/intending to do.
Always leave yourself an out ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode