What is the expected life of a sportbike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

What is the expected life of a sportbike?

Anyone know what mileage is deemed ok for a sportbike? What i mean is, how many miles before a sportbikes motor...etc. need to be replaced? Im sure it varies between models and all, but does anyone have a general idea?

It sucks paying $13,000 for a bike only to ride it for 25,000 miles and have to replace it. Im sure its not drastic enough to replace the whole thing, but you get the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 10:20 PM

Depends how squidly the owner was. If the ir was driven hard, then less miles. Don't expect to see a bike fun too well after about 30k miles. But in all honesty, most sportbikes have been dropped more than a few times by the time you get to that milage. So engine is one of the last things you consider.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:01 AM

Smile I really don't think that ......

millege would matter. Thats only if you want the most state of the art bike humanly possible. I'm sure if you by an old GSZR Slingshot you would get almost the same satisfaction out of riding it as if you were riding a R1. Sure the Slingshot isn't ergonomically friendly but hey it gets the job done .I wouldn't mind riding an old FZR 600 either, I had a FZR when I was a Kid and I would be damned if I didn't put on 19k in three months and it had over 50k on engine to begin with and the thing worked perfectly Minus the fact oil leaked out of the engine alot, that was my own squid like faults back then (I rode the bike at +100MPH on almost a dailly basis and I'm glad I'm alive to tell you this tale today).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 04:11 AM

There is a guy on the CBR900 mailing list that at last count had 240,000 miles on his RR. This is on the original motor. He has only done routine maintenace and replaced wearable parts (brake, clutch...etc). Not too shabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode