Finally got to ride the Dragon!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Finally got to ride the Dragon!!!

Well........I finally got to ride the Dragon today. I'm in Knoxville for the Honda Hoot this week and I got away today for a trip to Deals Gap. All I can say is WOW! The Dragon is all I thought it would be and more. Since it was my first time, I took it pretty slow. I only got out of second gear just a few times. There were quite a few people there today, alot of cruisers and Wings due to the Hoot I guess, but there were also a few sportbikes there too. Some of the guys on sportbikes were really fast and I would love to be able to ride that road like they were but I figured it wasn't worth it to push myself.

Well....Just thought I would share my excitement with everyone, it has definately been the highlight of my trip so far. I think I'm going to ride the Cherohala Skyway on Friday. Anyone else been there? How was it? Any other roads in the area you would recommend?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 04:32 PM

What the hell is the dragon????
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

The Dragon is a section of US Highway 129 located around the TN/NC state line. It is an 11 mile stretch with 318 turns.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 05:25 PM

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 07:07 PM

Re: Finally got to ride the Dragon!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawboy
Well....Just thought I would share my excitement with everyone, it has definately been the highlight of my trip so far. I think I'm going to ride the Cherohala Skyway on Friday. Anyone else been there? How was it? Any other roads in the area you would recommend?

Thanks.
You'll love the Cherohala. A couple of others worth checking out are the Foothills Parkway, Blueridge Parkway and 28 from the C.O.T. to the Fontana Dam.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 08:20 PM

Smile Tale of the tail

Great to read about the experience of others. My turn is coming up Sat. the 22nd. When I get back I'll post my tale of the tail.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 03:34 PM

Go to T.W.O. in Suches and buy some 25 cent maps from Frank.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerblade
Go to T.W.O. in Suches and buy some 25 cent maps from Frank.
Um....yeah, that was next on my list.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 05:25 PM

It's gotten to the point that I don't really like going to Deal's Gap (The Dragon) anymore. Especially on the weekends. I just don't enjoy seeing the crashes and squidley behavior. I only live a couple of hours from there, so it's an easy trip, but once you've seen a few squid splats (and an occasional fatal one) and had to worry about some Johnny Racer Boy blowing a corner and getting in your lane, or running up your ass in a corner, it's just not that much fun anymore. If these nitwits would keep it to a pace that's sane for a public road, it would be a lot better for everybody. It's a great road, but it can definitely bite you, and it's even more dangerous because of people that seem to have no regard for other people on the road. If they want to kill themselves, I don't mind at all. I just don't like them trying to take me with them. One guy from Florida (I think) last year killed himself on the first set of corners on a ZX-something-or-other. He had trailered up with a buddy riding an old Honda CBX, and was apparently used to the two dimensional riding in Florida. Didn't last long when you throw in things like decreasing radius corners and mid-corner elevation changes. The Dragon is 11 miles and 318 corners. Lots of opportunities for a squid to do the zip-and-splat routine. There was even one incident last year (or maybe year before last) where one of the "visiting riders" got into an altercation with a local cager that ended up in a shooting, with the local getting shot by the biker. That kind of thing, plus the displays of insane riding tend not to do much for our welcome in that area.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 06:11 AM

This has been the worst year that I have experieced at the Gap for ignorant shits that think they can ride.

I look at Deal's Gap as a novelty and a way to get to Hwy 28 or to the Cherohala Skyway. I ride the Gap once per day then ride the other area roads the rest of the day usually.

On occasion I've been known to get into major deep, thought-provoking discussions and forget to ride but usually I get some riding in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode