anyone else almost die this morning? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy anyone else almost die this morning?

i'm driving to work when i end up behind a front loader in the middle lane of a three lane road. the left lane merges with center due to construction about 1 mile up the road. as i go to pass the loader on the right just after i start to lean the bike over he switches lanes. turn signal? nope. look over his shoulder? no. i get on the front pretty hard and go into the ever popular unexpected stoppie. the part that made me remove my seat cover with my anus is when the front starts to wobble under the heavy breaking causing the back to swim side side. probably a good foot to foot and a half. i release the brake to try and get the thing to settle down. well we come down not in a straight line and very narrowly avoided an ugly high side. when i finally get it under control i'm about 6 inches off the front loaders back tire. Question: does anyone know why the back got so loose in the air and is their anything i can do to prevent it? (steering dampner or something). whew... just glad to still be shiny side up....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:02 AM

The shimmy could be a lot of things. Maybe a seam in the road surface? Do you lock your elbows when you brake hard? If so, try keeping some flex in your elbows. You still have to be tense enough to hold yourself up while braking but a little flex might help reduce unwanted steering inputs while braking hard. Just one idea but it's worth a try. Glad you didn't end up hitting that dumb fuk!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 11:04 AM

I didn't almost die...though it did rain on me this morning...well I thought it was rain...so I'm looking up down left and right for sprinklers or something and I finally figured out the guy in front of me was cleaning his windshield...so he slides over a lane and starts screaming something unknown to me...so I gave him the finger and took off...

Just thought I'd share

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RedNinja
...so I gave him the finger and took off...
Do you guys have a tendency to use the finger alot more when you're on your bike? I sure as hell do!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 11:37 AM

I don't want hear any whining about almost meeting the light and tunnel thing. When you loose an organ, three units of blood, and ICU for 3 weeks, then you can complain.
Actually I have come close several times just like that. If you look back you will see that the loader is not really at fault here. You should not have tried to pass on the right to begin with and not in a construction zone. You have to keep in mind that all cages are out to kill us. If you always keep that thought in mind you will be more cautious on the road.

I'm not trying to be hard on you, I am just trying to help you realize the facts of riding a bike on public roads.
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdman
The shimmy could be a lot of things. Maybe a seam in the road surface? Do you lock your elbows when you brake hard? If so, try keeping some flex in your elbows. You still have to be tense enough to hold yourself up while braking but a little flex might help reduce unwanted steering inputs while braking hard. Just one idea but it's worth a try. Glad you didn't end up hitting that dumb fuk!
A steering dampner will take care of all of this.

Last edited by VYPIR; 06-20-2001 at 11:39 AM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VYPIR

A steering dampner will take care of all of this.
Hmm, how do I say this without being an ass? First a minor technicality; it's damper not dampner, a garden hose is a dampner. I know, splitting hairs but it's a pet peeve. I agree that a damper will help, but if the problem is unintentional steering input it won't stop that. There are some bikes that really need a steering damper. But I think steering dampers are used a lot to try to bandaid or cover up poor technique. That is not meant to be condescending to you Nappyboy because I need to work on my own riding quite a bit myself. It's just my opinion that we should work on technique before bolting things on to cover it up.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 748 abuser

Do you guys have a tendency to use the finger alot more when you're on your bike? I sure as hell do!
Yeah but only because I can run faster than the average cage
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 12:33 PM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdman

Hmm, how do I say this without being an ass? First a minor technicality; it's damper not dampner, a garden hose is a dampner. I know, splitting hairs but it's a pet peeve.
I won't worry about not being an ass. Techincally, you are wrong. A garden hose is not a dampner (there's no such word); it's a dampener. And a steering damper can also be correctly called a dampener. There, Mr. Smarty Pants.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 12:34 PM

Lightbulb

I almost did. I was trying to go to the DMV to get my endorsement....finally... and there was this wierd intersection right b4 the street with the DMV on it. It was very complex and somehow I ended up on what I thought was the offramp for the interstate, however, it was the onramp. So I was waiting to pull out and an 18 wheeler just starts turning into me. My reaction was something like "HOLY --IT!" at which point I gassed it to the right and escaped. But I mean sheez he didn't honk or anyhting just turned straight at me. It was only after I was safe that I realized how I came to be on the onramp facing the wrong way. Sure it may be embarassing to be honked at for doing something stupid, but I would prefer that to just running me over.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

I won't worry about not being an ass. Techincally, you are wrong. A garden hose is not a dampner (there's no such word); it's a dampener. And a steering damper can also be correctly called a dampener. There, Mr. Smarty Pants.
Yeah, Birdman. Listen to Mr. Webster. He knows everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode