newbie questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

newbie questions

hello guys,
im back on this forum, still didnt get my bike. im still researching and deciding when to buy. im thinking august or early sept. i live in new york city. is it worth to buy at this time or should i wait till the spring of next year?

when can i find a bike cheapest? i heard during non riding months

should i buy brand new? i love the new r6 but i can settle with ahonda cbr. i love them too.

i know i am going to wear gear. will it look retarded if i wear full gear? leathers, helmet, glovees and pants? shoes maybe? i want to be fully protected but i dont want people laughing at me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 01:20 PM

Quote:
will it look retarded if i wear full gear?
That only thing that will look retarded is the skin you leave behind on the road after you fall of without gear. At minimum, Gloves, Jacket, and Helmet.

You won't look retarded.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 01:40 PM

Exclamation people laughing...

I can speak for myself and my friends...we only laugh at the "organ donars" we see riding around in T-shirts and shorts. We've never laughed at a rider in full leathers, boots, and gloves! In fact, I've given the "thumbs-up" to countless riders because they were wearing full gear. A person who laughs at a rider in full gear is either a complete moron or doesn't ride (probably both).
You talk to anybody who's ever crashed their bike and I'll guarantee that everyone of those people who walked away from their accident was wearing leathers, boots, and gloves!
If it's style you're worried about you'll have no problem finding some awesome gear!!! There are so many styles of jackets, pants, gloves, and boots that you'll definitely find gear that fits your personal style.
If I haven't convinced you yet, let me ask you this? Do you know how painful reconstructive surgery is???
Go with the leathers...you'll never regret it!

Welcome to SBW!

Ride Safe,
Irish Rocket

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 01:55 PM
Founder

Re: newbie questions

Quote:
Originally posted by illmaticnyc
i know i am going to wear gear. will it look retarded if i wear full gear? leathers, helmet, glovees and pants? shoes maybe? i want to be fully protected but i dont want people laughing at me.
I laugh my ass off at the squids in T-Shirts and sandles with no helmet.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 02:05 PM

New Bike and Gear

Welcome to this site! Lots of good info and conversations/debates. I never want to scare a possible new rider away, but there is a good chance you will see pavement in your first year or two. This only applies if you plan on riding fast. The good news is you probably won't be smeared all over the road. Most riders with gear will walk away. So, here goes two pieces of advice.

One is buy and use the gear. Here's my basic suit-up. If I ride with friends and know I'll be pushing it hard, I use full gear including armor (I don't have a back protector, but plan to get one). If I'm just out riding, at least jacket with no armor, racing gloves and helmet. Riding to work, same as previous. Riding home (hotter), jacket may not be zipped all the way, and I wear lighter summer gloves and, of course my helmet.

As for the bike, I wouldn't even think new. Between the bike cost and insurance, it's not worth it. Get a used bike for your first. If cost is a BIG problem, I'd wait till winter (not spring like you mentioned) to buy, you will probably save 10% to 20%. You should be able to pike up a bike around 10 years old (600 to 750cc) for $2500 to $3500. This means you might save $500 max if you wait till winter. If it were me, I'd buy it now....So start looking!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 02:19 PM

When I was a Kid......

I use to wear a stitched Boston Celtics sports jacket, gloves, and a Helmet when I rode my trusty FZR600. When I wrecked my bike on a long sweeper that had a lot of gravel (laid down from a recent snow storm) I remember that my helmet was scrapped up, my gloves had a hole in the palm, and my jacket was torn up. 7 years later I still have an exhaust burn (barely noticeable) on my arm, and road rash scar tissue on my right hip, knee, and arm.
I wish was wearing a leather jacket back then.

Now days when I see people riding a bike in t-shirts, shorts, and sunglasses I think to my self "wow these guys are going to look really mangled up if they wreck". Sure you might not look really cool by wearing a helmet but hey do you think you'll really cool after low siding a bike at 40mph with no helmet or other protective riding gear?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:21 PM

Red face Not named roadrash for nothing!

I'm embaressed to admit this but if it saves just one rider....
My first crash came less than a month after I bought my first bike: a '92 Nighthawk 750. Came into a turn faster than I though I could handle, straightened up and pointed the bike into a side street while grabing and stomping as much brake as I could. Hit some gravel and got a very direct lesson in motorcycle handleing charecteristics. That once beautiful bike slammed my newbie ass into the pavement so hard that the chip on my shoulder got knocked into orbit. The helmet, leather jacket and gloves took some of the punishment but my Levis fell apart like wet T.P. I had rasberry jam where my knee used to be. And, while the steel toe in my work boots saved my toes from certain shredding, the 6" high top of the boot failed to protect my ankle from the little peg on the kick stand puncturing it twice. I attendened my MSF class the next week wearing a sling supporting my separated shoulder.
Need I say more?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:53 PM

Yeouch, Mr Roadrash!!! Those stories are exactly why I wear full gear in the New Orleans heat and humidity. Was out there today, sweating thru the vents almost, but I would truly hate to smear my lipstick on the pavement.

A friend of mine works in trauma in Phoenix and a friend of hers came in yesterday who wasn't wearing a helmet. He said it was his first time no wearing it....he always does, but it was just so hot. Yeah, well, pity...those 12 stitches and 5 staples are so much cooler. He was lucky...check out rotten.com for the guy without a helmet who wasn't so lucky. Hospitals here are using the photo for classes on Motorcycle crash traumas. He lived, but I don't know where they found a new face for him.

Ride safe.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 10:30 PM

Ok in answer to your question(s).. Liek the other, I recomend as much gear as possible. If you are just plannign to cruize, Helmet gloves, jacket. When pushing hard a nights suit if you can get one for a medevil theme restaurant.

With regard to when to buy a bike. I always thought during the winter, but that really (not always) applies to used. I went to Honda today and they were blowing bikes out at 2k off sticked for teh 600 and 929. That because they wanna get rid fo teh 01 before the 02's come in.

I would shy from a new bike as teh first one. Too costly and most people drop then the first year or two, even if just in the garage.

Both R6 and the 4Fi are great bikes, but at least here the R6 is impossible to get and goes for more than the R1.

I would inver in a CBR F# for my first sport bike or something along those line.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 01:36 PM

Too proud??

Well, I'm not embaressed to tell of my "mistakes".
I had good teachers and there was no such things as MSF classes. Lots of good riding areas. I rode dirt bikes as a kid. I learned fast and suprised my friends.

I was out with 2 others. I was on my 500 Interceptor. Other bikes were a VF750 and the then new FZ750. The 750 rider was a local track rider, very good. We had made a pass down the road to check it out. Then we started to race it, with me in the rear. I got by the VF750 after a while and was staying with the FZ. We had a few long straights and we got spread out some. The FZ was maybe 150yds ahead of me and the VF was 50 behind. I was pushing 110% trying to catch up because I knew the next section had lots of curves. Went into a 75mph right hander at 90+, panic hit me, on the brakes and went out for an enduro ride. I hit a ditch and slid on dirt for maybe 250ft. Cracked my back, chipped my pelvis, and busted one finger. Guess what? No road rash though! I had leathers and my Arai on, but no boots. Both shoes were ripped off, but only a couple of scratches like you could pick up on a beach walk. The guy behind said he wished he could have filmed it, because part of my slide was in the ditch, with had maybe 12in of water in it. He said it looked like someone was sking in the ditch throwing up spray.

My only other fall was in a parking lot doing, guess what, a right hand turn at 5-10mph. Just lost balance. Have had many close calls though. I'm surprised the I haven't sucked the seat off my bike! Bottom line is WEAR THE GEAR! Pain is relative. Sweating in a suit hurts alot less than a get-off without gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode