Killing our EARS???? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Killing our EARS????

Okay, I have been riding for about a year now. My exhaust has a very low frequence drone even when in 6th cruising along. So others told me to wear ear plugs and that will solve it. Okay, so i went out and bought 30dB reduction ear plugs. Well, it seems even worse with them in. Instead of hearing the engine, I get a tremendous amount of wind noise which rushes past my ears. After I ride for an hour on, especially at highway speeds, I come home and my ears feel funny for awhile. It's similar to being in a loud bar or a club. They are not ringing, but it just feels strange for 15 or 20 minutes. My question is: Does this happen to other people? and what is the cause? I think maybe it's my helmet. Maybe a better helmet would have a better seal and not let that wind noise in. Currently I have a 4 year old AGV which came with my bike. So what do you guys think? Ear damaging or what?

thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 07:58 AM

WHAT?!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 09:16 AM
Pete

What type of plugs are they?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 09:31 AM

Arrow

I wear ear plugs when I remember them. The wind noise has probably always been there; you just haven't noticed it over the exhaust before.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

The plugs are made by a company called Hearos. they are little foam plugs which you squish and they expand in your ear to make a good fit. They were cheap and said they reduce noise by 30dB's. I think you are right about the wind noise. I just didn't notice it over the exhaust. Do different helmets perform differently with air flow? This is my first bike and obviouly first helmet, and I am just wondering if lets say an Arai will not have this problem? With they way it is now I could never go long distances without getting a killer headache.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 11:09 AM

Dude...that sounds pretty wild. I have an AGV Demon Top Vent, and I really like it. The wind noise is so bad though that if I don't wear ear plugs I have to wear a "miracle ear" for about two weeks. I bought some 30db ear plugs that are a little more like rubber than foam, and it cured the problem totally. They are pink (no cracks please ) and came in a ten pack. I forget the name, but they were cheap and they work great. Picked em up in wal-mart sporting goods. I also noticed a big jump in my confidence level after stuffing my ears. Not sure why that is. I guess I don't judge speed by wind noise as much. Also makes for a lot more comfortable ride. The only problem is that I have to have people at stop lights yell at me when they want to talk. Oh wait.....having people yell at me at stop lights is normal. Never mind.

bRad
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 11:29 AM
Pete

F3, does your helmet fit you correctly, not too loose, snug, but not too tight? Yes, typically, helmets with less ventilation will provide superior noise protection. Also, it sounds like you may be inserting the plugs too far into your ears, putting too much pressure on the sensitive membranes of your inner ear. I dunno, though, it's just a guess. Maybe try a different brand of plugs. And if your helmet is 4 years old, and you aren't sure of how it was taken care of (i.e., do you know for certain it was never dropped or whatever), it may be a wise move to go helmet shopping. Not that that has anything to do with your noise problem, but for the peace of mind and ensuring a proper fit with the features you want, it's well worth the expense.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
F3, does your helmet fit you correctly, not too loose, snug, but not too tight? Yes, typically, helmets with less ventilation will provide superior noise protection. Also, it sounds like you may be inserting the plugs too far into your ears, putting too much pressure on the sensitive membranes of your inner ear. I dunno, though, it's just a guess. Maybe try a different brand of plugs. And if your helmet is 4 years old, and you aren't sure of how it was taken care of (i.e., do you know for certain it was never dropped or whatever), it may be a wise move to go helmet shopping. Not that that has anything to do with your noise problem, but for the peace of mind and ensuring a proper fit with the features you want, it's well worth the expense.
Yeah, listen to Ralph Nader. He know's everything.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 12:02 PM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by 748 abuser

Yeah, listen to Ralph Nader. He know's everything.
LMMFAO!!!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 12:41 PM

Hearos are among the best available. Either you are inserting them wrong, or are just having some soreness getting use to them. Roll them up tight, and lift the top of your ear while inserting them. Hold in place until they expand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode